Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT 
Author Message
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

Hi everybody,

I'm having the following problem:
- I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I need
it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
workstations running Win95.
- When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the Server -
I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement - not
better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry several
times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some cases
there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET CLIPPER=F95).
- In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
have the same problem.

Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

TIA

--
Arsnio Fernandes
Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

Tavira, Algarve, Portugal



Wed, 08 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

Do you have any restrictions on your shared directory on the NT Server??
(Users,files Read/write and so on)

You must have ReadOnly on your EXE file on the Server. Do you open your
data/index files in shared mode?

Regards
Raymond

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I'm having the following problem:
> - I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I need
> it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
> workstations running Win95.
> - When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the Server -
> I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement - not
> better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry several
> times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some cases
> there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET CLIPPER=F95).
> - In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
> have the same problem.

> Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

> TIA

> --
> Arsnio Fernandes
> Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

> Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

--
Raymond Steffensen


AOL/IM : RaymondSte


Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your answer, but I think you didn't understand the whole
situation, or I didn't explain myself very well (sorry, but I am Portuguese
and my English is not the best).



Quote:
> Do you have any restrictions on your shared directory on the NT Server??
> (Users,files Read/write and so on)

I have the normal restrictions: Users can RWX.

Quote:

> You must have ReadOnly on your EXE file on the Server. Do you open your
> data/index files in shared mode?

It is ReadOnly, and the files are All opened in shared mode.

But the problem is that I sometimes (a few) can open all the files without
no problems, and many times not.

I open the files in a loop, it tries first and if not success, wait 0.5
seconds and try again for 5 seconds in the total, and if after that have no
success, open an Alert box and asks if the user wants to try again, and
re-starts the 5 seconds proccess. Some times the app., after trying many
times, can open all the files, but many times not.
After this, the user must cancel the operation, and re-start from the
beginning.

The problem arises after opening some files (the number is not always the
same), so it seems to have dificultty in handling many files, but the
configuration seems to be Ok.

I think the problem is not in the app., but in the Windows, any bug that I
coundn't find yet, or any configuration trick that I'm not aware of.

TIA

--
Arsnio Fernandes
Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

Quote:

> Regards
> Raymond


> > Hi everybody,

> > I'm having the following problem:
> > - I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I
need
> > it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
> > workstations running Win95.
> > - When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the
Server -
> > I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement -
not
> > better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry
several
> > times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some
cases
> > there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET
CLIPPER=F95).
> > - In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
> > have the same problem.

> > Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

> > TIA

> > --
> > Arsnio Fernandes
> > Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

> > Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

> --
> Raymond Steffensen


> AOL/IM : RaymondSte



Thu, 09 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I'm having the following problem:
> - I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I need
> it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
> workstations running Win95.
> - When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the Server -
> I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement - not
> better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry several
> times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some cases
> there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET CLIPPER=F95).
> - In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
> have the same problem.

> Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

> TIA

> --
> Arsnio Fernandes
> Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

> Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

SET CLIPPER=F95 is summer '87
Try SET CLIPPER=//F:95

S Lorde



Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

I use files=190          (or fileshigh=190)
        buffers=30        (or buffershigh=30)
I don't use clipperf=xx
And all is ok.
I' open about 70 dbf, 60 cdx and 40 Ftp  (=150 files)

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I'm having the following problem:
> - I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I need
> it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
> workstations running Win95.
> - When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the Server -
> I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement - not
> better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry several
> times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some cases
> there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET CLIPPER=F95).
> - In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
> have the same problem.

> Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

> TIA

> --
> Arsnio Fernandes
> Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

> Tavira, Algarve, Portugal



Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

We have similar problem opening some files on Windows 95 machines.  We found
that by switching from exospace to blinker solves the problem.  Please
consider a different linker.

Quote:

>Hi Raymond,

>Thanks for your answer, but I think you didn't understand the whole
>situation, or I didn't explain myself very well (sorry, but I am Portuguese
>and my English is not the best).



>> Do you have any restrictions on your shared directory on the NT Server??
>> (Users,files Read/write and so on)

>I have the normal restrictions: Users can RWX.

>> You must have ReadOnly on your EXE file on the Server. Do you open your
>> data/index files in shared mode?

>It is ReadOnly, and the files are All opened in shared mode.

>But the problem is that I sometimes (a few) can open all the files without
>no problems, and many times not.

>I open the files in a loop, it tries first and if not success, wait 0.5
>seconds and try again for 5 seconds in the total, and if after that have no
>success, open an Alert box and asks if the user wants to try again, and
>re-starts the 5 seconds proccess. Some times the app., after trying many
>times, can open all the files, but many times not.
>After this, the user must cancel the operation, and re-start from the
>beginning.

>The problem arises after opening some files (the number is not always the
>same), so it seems to have dificultty in handling many files, but the
>configuration seems to be Ok.

>I think the problem is not in the app., but in the Windows, any bug that I
>coundn't find yet, or any configuration trick that I'm not aware of.

>TIA

>--
>Arsnio Fernandes
>Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

>Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

>> Regards
>> Raymond


>> > Hi everybody,

>> > I'm having the following problem:
>> > - I have a Win NT 4.0 Server (config. as Primary Domain controler - I
>need
>> > it this way because of password validation), and some (about 25)
>> > workstations running Win95.
>> > - When I open the files (both the .DBF and the .EXE reside on the
>Server -
>> > I tried with the .EXE in each workstation, but with no improvement -
>not
>> > better), it can't open the files at first, but if I choose retry
>several
>> > times, most of the times I finally can open all the files (in some
>cases
>> > there is 60 or files open at once - I have FILES=100 and SET
>CLIPPER=F95).
>> > - In other customers, with one 'Server' Win95 and 1 or 2 workstatios, I
>> > have the same problem.

>> > Please, somebody help me, I'm completely stuck.

>> > TIA

>> > --
>> > Arsnio Fernandes
>> > Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

>> > Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

>> --
>> Raymond Steffensen


>> AOL/IM : RaymondSte



Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. DOS Error 55 using 5.2e/exospace/Win95 workstations/NT 4.0 server

2. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server running clipper 5.2e

3. Urgent !!!!!! Clip 5.2e under win Nt 4.0

4. Need HELP: App too-slow on Win NT Server 4.0

5. Clipper 5.2e under NT 4.0?

6. Clipper 5.2e in Windows NT 4.0

7. Clipper 5.2e printing under Windows NT 4.0

8. File Lock Problem with NT Server and Clipper 5.2e

9. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server using Clipper 5.2.e

10. Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

11. Clipper 5.01 on NT 4.0 server

12. Help with Clipper 5.2e and Win95

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software