S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem
Author Message
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

I've been asked to look into why a Clipper S'87 that's running on NT
server with W95 workstations is slowing down as the day goes on.

The S'87 application is installed on the server and all the databases are
located on the server.  The users run the application from the server
directory.  The application is comprised of several EXEs that are run
from one EXE file using a function called Overlay.  Its also possible
that the Overlay calls are nested, in as some of the child processes may
call Overlay to launch another child.  I'm not the developer of this
application; this is the explanation I got from the developers of the
application.

What happens is as the day goes on the application gets slower and slower
at loading and running the EXEs.  To the point where it can take as long
as 3 min to load an EXE.   In some instances rebooting the server and all
the workstations corrects the problem temporarily; but not always. The
application is running at several other locations, using the same network
configuration without this problem.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this to happen?  Our
hardware guy thinks it may be a problem in the cabling; but I would
suspect that it would happen all the time if this were so.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
--
Jim Fitzgerald
email replies: chemmast at penn dot com

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

I never run my exe's from the server.

I have been  told that they need to be marked as read-only if you run them
on the server.

Overlay is a lib that can swap out a program to disk and execute another
program.  Your problem could be creating the temp files.  No problem here if
the program is on the C:

Mike

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem
CHECK IF THE USERS LOAD THE APPLICATION MORE THAN 1 TIME,
IN OTHER WORDS, IF THE USER CLICK ON THE ICON OF THE APPLICATION,
USE THE PROGRAM, RETURN TO WIN95 MAIN SCREEN, AND CLICK AGAIN
ON THE ICON'S PROGRAM, THIS MAKE THE APPLICATION VERY SLOW, IF'
YOU LOAD THE PROGRAM 2 TIMES IS SLOW, IF LOAD PROGRAM 3 TIMES IS
SUPER SLOW.

GOOD LOCK
FRANCISCO

   -**** Posted from remarQ, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.remarq.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

Quote:

> I never run my exe's from the server.

Neither do I.  When I suggested that they move software to the local
drives, I was shot down.  The vendor performs software maintenance and
updates via PC Anywhere and wants the files only to be in one place.

I'll look into the readonly option.

Thanks;
--
Jim Fitzgerald - ENVIROGENICS? Software Company
www.envirogenics.com

Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

Quote:

>CHECK IF THE USERS LOAD THE APPLICATION MORE THAN 1 TIME,
>IN OTHER WORDS, IF THE USER CLICK ON THE ICON OF THE APPLICATION,
>USE THE PROGRAM, RETURN TO WIN95 MAIN SCREEN, AND CLICK AGAIN
>ON THE ICON'S PROGRAM, THIS MAKE THE APPLICATION VERY SLOW, IF'
>YOU LOAD THE PROGRAM 2 TIMES IS SLOW, IF LOAD PROGRAM 3 TIMES IS
>SUPER SLOW.

>GOOD LOCK
>FRANCISCO

I agree. This could be a problem.  There have been threads here about how to
avoid having customers open an app more than once.  The previous posts on
avoiding re-entering a program were written for the developers and how they
could code around the problem.  Since you are a systems administrator, it
could be more difficult.

I wish there was a 'Run Once at a Time' property for Windows.

Mike M

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem
I use clipper 5.2e and blinker 4.  In the blinker link script I set
SWAPPATH and TEMPPATH to C:\CLIP
example:
blinker executable clipper F:55 E:0 X:0 swappath:'C:\CLIP'
temppath:'C:\CLIP'

This cuts down on network traffic and any multiple copies trying to use the
same file.
I don't know if the other linkers will let you do this.  If this works
please email me.

--
Scott Burke

Quote:

> I never run my exe's from the server.

> I have been  told that they need to be marked as read-only if you run
them
> on the server.

> Overlay is a lib that can swap out a program to disk and execute another
> program.  Your problem could be creating the temp files.  No problem here
if
> the program is on the C:

> Mike

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

Quote:

>I use clipper 5.2e and blinker 4.  In the blinker link script I set
>SWAPPATH and TEMPPATH to C:\CLIP
>example:
>blinker executable clipper F:55 E:0 X:0 swappath:'C:\CLIP'
>temppath:'C:\CLIP'

>This cuts down on network traffic and any multiple copies trying to use the
>same file.
>I don't know if the other linkers will let you do this.  If this works
>please email me.

Good idea but Jim does not have the code.

Mike

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 S'87/NT Server/W95 Workstations Problem

Quote:

>> I never run my exe's from the server.

>Neither do I.  When I suggested that they move software to the local
>drives, I was shot down.  The vendor performs software maintenance and
>updates via PC Anywhere and wants the files only to be in one place.

>I'll look into the readonly option.

Look into replication.

There is a replication engine on The Oasis, under the name
DIRSYNC.ZIP. configure this and put it in the login script. It will
make a local directory that is identical to the master directory.

Put it in the login script, and put a button to it on the desktop.

Here is the help screen:

  DIRSYNC 1.5 will synchronize the files in two directories.

  Any file in the source directory that is not in the destination
  directory will be copied there, and any file in the destination
  directory that is not in the source directory can be removed.

  Changed files will be replaced with originals based on time and date
  stamps.

  USAGE:"
    DIRSYNC <SourceDir> <DestDir> [/NOVERBOSE] [/NOWARNING] ...
                              ... [/NODELETE]  [/NCOPY]"

    Where:"
       <SourceDir> is the Master File Directory
       <DestDir> will contain whatever is in <SourceDir>

       [/NOVERBOSE] will suppress most of the screen output

       [/NOWARNING] will delete extra files in <DestDir> without
                    warning
       [/NODELETE] will suppress automatic deletion

       [/NCOPY] will use NCOPY.EXE instead of DOS copy

  EXAMPLE:
     DIRSYNC X:\NETWORK\EXEPOOL\ C:\LOCAL\EXEPOOL\ /NOWARNING

The nice thing about this is that:

1. The executable maintenance happens on a single master directory on
the network.

2. The executables always run from the local drive

3. Every login updates the local pool with minimum impact. If nothing
has changed, no files are moved. The icon on the desktop performs an
update without needing to log out/in.

4. If your executable crashes and leaves those ugly file fragments
like AHDFEADO, these swap turds will be created on the same drive the
executable ran from, by default. The next DIRSYNC cleans them out.

5. The software loads and runs faster.

6. Network traffic is reduced.

7. No temp files will be built on the network drive.

8. You can put a new executable in place in the master directory at
any time, even while the users are still running the software. When
you do update the exe, you notify the users to exit the software and
hit the update button.

It's the only way to go.

--

        Oasis WWW   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~philb/
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

    "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquillity of
     servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
     depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your
     arms. Crouch down and{*filter*} the hand that feeds you. May
     your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity
     forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper program running on nT-server and W95/98 workstations

2. *help*: problem with Clipper S-'87, W95, Novelle

3. NT Server + NT Workstation + ADS problem.

4. Summer 87 on Windows NT Workstation 4.0 w/SP3

5. Problem with CLipper/Win′95 Workstation/win NT server (one SOLUTION)

6. NT Server Slow, NT Workstation Fast

7. NT Workstation or NT Server?

8. Summer 87 index probs with NT server

9. Clipper 87 apl. on Windows NT Server

10. S'87 and NT

11. Clipper Summer 87 Problem Running Under NT

12. File Sharing Violations re: Workgroups Workstation to NT Server