Creating Windows shortcut
Author Message
 Creating Windows shortcut

I program in clipper 5.2e and generally visit the customer site to install
my application on windows platforms from 95 thru XP.

I am able to mail an installation diskette to a remotely located customer
with very simple installation instructions but I can not figure out how to
create a shortcut icon on the desktop from code on the diskette. The problem
is that I have no fore knowledge of which folder has been set up, by the
distributor of the computer, to accommodate shortcut files; and, no folder
is consistently used for this purpose among distributors.

 Is there a method I can use to automatically load a pif file from the
installation diskette to the appropriate folder on the customer machine,
without fore knowledge of which folder the distributor of the machine chose
to use for desktop shortcuts. If not, is there anything else you can suggest
to accomplish the creation of a shortcut for my app.

Regards,

Gene

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:50:47 GMT
 Creating Windows shortcut
Eugene,
Take a look at Inno Setup Compiler..... it's free and very good.
Regards from New Zealand.
Quote:

> I program in clipper 5.2e and generally visit the customer site to install
> my application on windows platforms from 95 thru XP.

> I am able to mail an installation diskette to a remotely located customer
> with very simple installation instructions but I can not figure out how to
> create a shortcut icon on the desktop from code on the diskette. The problem
> is that I have no fore knowledge of which folder has been set up, by the
> distributor of the computer, to accommodate shortcut files; and, no folder
> is consistently used for this purpose among distributors.

>  Is there a method I can use to automatically load a pif file from the
> installation diskette to the appropriate folder on the customer machine,
> without fore knowledge of which folder the distributor of the machine chose
> to use for desktop shortcuts. If not, is there anything else you can suggest
> to accomplish the creation of a shortcut for my app.

> Regards,

> Gene

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:34:10 GMT
 Creating Windows shortcut
Eugene

Use a windows installer - http://www.jrsoftware.org - InnoSetup is free

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:49:47 GMT

1. Creating windows shortcuts

2. Creating an Shortcut Icon on the Windows Desktop

3. Creating a desktop shortcut

4. Create ShortCut on Desktop

5. Creating a Shortcut

6. Create a Windoze Shortcut File

7. Create shortcuts in Windows95/98

8. Create Shortcuts on Win95/98

9. Creating desktop shortcuts: the answer

10. Create Desktop Shortcut

11. Creating shortcuts

12. Creating a shortcut on the desktop