Clipper, Win95, Novell network and task switching
Author Message
 Clipper, Win95, Novell network and task switching

Hello,
We use clipper 5.2, blinker 4.0 and we run our applications in Win95.
Our tables are DBF/NTX.
When a person presses ATL-TAB to switch to another screen while a
Clipper application opens a DBF, then this DBF is locked! Every other
person running the same program will have to wait until the first person
puts the program back on the foreground.

A possible solution is to give every dos application some background
resources, but then our applications run too slow if there are many
running DOS programs at the same time.

Is there anyone who knows a solution to this problem?
Thanks.

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper, Win95, Novell network and task switching

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:56:18 +0200, "Philippe Requil"

Quote:

>Hello,
>We use clipper 5.2, blinker 4.0 and we run our applications in Win95.
>Our tables are DBF/NTX.
>When a person presses ATL-TAB to switch to another screen while a
>Clipper application opens a DBF, then this DBF is locked! Every other
>person running the same program will have to wait until the first person
>puts the program back on the foreground.

>A possible solution is to give every dos application some background
>resources, but then our applications run too slow if there are many
>running DOS programs at the same time.

>Is there anyone who knows a solution to this problem?
>Thanks.

You've no doubt already checked this, but in case you haven't... check
the DOS app properties. Right click on title bar, click 'Properties,
then the 'Misc' tab. Make sure the checkbox in the 'Background' group
is *not* checked.

HTH

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper, Win95, Novell network and task switching

Quote:

>On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:56:18 +0200, "Philippe Requil"

>>Hello,
>>We use clipper 5.2, blinker 4.0 and we run our applications in Win95.
>>Our tables are DBF/NTX.
>>When a person presses ATL-TAB to switch to another screen while a
>>Clipper application opens a DBF, then this DBF is locked! Every other
>>person running the same program will have to wait until the first person
>>puts the program back on the foreground.
>>A possible solution is to give every dos application some background
>>resources, but then our applications run too slow if there are many
>>running DOS programs at the same time.

>>Is there anyone who knows a solution to this problem?
>>Thanks.

>You've no doubt already checked this, but in case you haven't... check
>the DOS app properties. Right click on title bar, click 'Properties,
>then the 'Misc' tab. Make sure the checkbox in the 'Background' group
>is *not* checked.

No, to fix this problem, the Background button should be checked.

Here is the problem:

When Clipper writes to any single record, it momentarily locks all
associated index _files_. If you switch context in windows while the
index files are locked, and the background processing is turned off,
the index file lock remains in place, and nobody else can do any
reading or writing. The only answer is to offer background processes
the ability to finish the update and unlock the indexes while in the

Now, if you have a problem with Clipper executables sucking windows
dry of processing power, you need to attack that problem on it's own
merit. See MULTI102.ZIP from my www site for an answer.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Print in a network by clipper (Novell + Win95)

2. Task switching in Win95,98

3. CFD3.102 Printing on Win95 + Novell network Question

4. Printing over Novell networks from CFD and Win95 -Reply

5. Printing over Novell networks from CFD and Win95 -Reply

6. Printing over Novell networks from CFD and Win95

7. Clipper and Novell Network

8. Clipper, Novell 4.2 and Microsoft Client for Netware Networks

9. clipper app on novell 10 user network

10. Clipper on NT client of Novell Network

11. Clipper App under W95 on Novell 4.1 Network

12. Clipper problem on a Novell network