Printing corrupting dbf files??!
Author Message
 Printing corrupting dbf files??!

Hi All,
I'm currently running a Clipper 5.2e program that very
occasionally (once every month or 2) will stop printing. Instead
of printing the report, the text is inserted into the last data file
opened (corrupting it in the process). This is weird as heck to me. I've
got programs running on dozens of computers & this is the 1st
time I've seen this.

I've got Win95 set to spool MS-Dos programs, however my clipper
programs won't spool unless the spooler has been kicked in
already by some other dos program or by printing from the dos
prompt.

This computer had Win95 and I upgraded it to Win98 hoping it
would fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas.

(I don't always get all postings to newsgroups on the server I'm
using)

Thanks,

Willy Grigg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing corrupting dbf files??!
I had the same problem. I use two intel printer-station. When printer was
not ready, the dbf in use was corrupted.
Now, I capture LPT ports to print-station in one PC (this PC is forbiden to
print) and the rest of PC send the report to this share ports PC.

Quote:
> Hi All,
> I'm currently running a Clipper 5.2e program that very
> occasionally (once every month or 2) will stop printing. Instead
> of printing the report, the text is inserted into the last data file
> opened (corrupting it in the process). This is weird as heck to me. I've
> got programs running on dozens of computers & this is the 1st
> time I've seen this.

> I've got Win95 set to spool MS-Dos programs, however my clipper
> programs won't spool unless the spooler has been kicked in
> already by some other dos program or by printing from the dos
> prompt.

> This computer had Win95 and I upgraded it to Win98 hoping it
> would fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas.

> (I don't always get all postings to newsgroups on the server I'm
> using)

> Thanks,

> Willy Grigg

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing corrupting dbf files??!
I have the same problem in a large program (Clipper 5.2e) running in a
network environment (server + printserver = NT4 SP6a, clients are Win98SE).
Once every few weeks, everything break's down due to a corrupted DBF-file.
The corruption is caused by data, sent to a networked printer, inserted
somewhere in the DBF. It's not always the same DBF, printer or workstation.
The problem existed already 2 years ago before we've changed from Novell
(3.21 with IPX/SPX to NT4 with TCP/IP).

I hope that somebody has an explanation for this strange behavior.

Alain Steffes

Quote:
> Hi All,
> I'm currently running a Clipper 5.2e program that very
> occasionally (once every month or 2) will stop printing. Instead
> of printing the report, the text is inserted into the last data file
> opened (corrupting it in the process). This is weird as heck to me. I've
> got programs running on dozens of computers & this is the 1st
> time I've seen this.

> I've got Win95 set to spool MS-Dos programs, however my clipper
> programs won't spool unless the spooler has been kicked in
> already by some other dos program or by printing from the dos
> prompt.

> This computer had Win95 and I upgraded it to Win98 hoping it
> would fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas.

> (I don't always get all postings to newsgroups on the server I'm
> using)

> Thanks,

> Willy Grigg

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing corrupting dbf files??!

Once every few weeks, everything break's down due to a corrupted DBF-
file. The corruption is caused by data, sent to a networked printer,
inserted somewhere in the DBF. It's not always the same DBF, printer or
workstation.  The problem existed already 2 years ago before we've
changed from Novell (3.21 with IPX/SPX to NT4 with TCP/IP).

Alain,

From what you describe, The issue most likely exists in the NOS layer
of the network.

Recommend checking NIC Cards / Drivers / Protocol used (e.g. 802.3),
Cabling / Hubs / etc. to ensure an equipment / Driver / Protocol
(Frame) related-problem is not cause of the issue.

Also recommend checking (for excessive) Network Utilization on the
segment in question / adjusting to provide more bandwidth, as needed.
(A traffic-saturated LAN segment will sometimes introduce the issue you
describe above, FYI.)

HTH & Regards,
Bob

Quote:
> I have the same problem in a large program (Clipper 5.2e) running in a
> network environment (server + printserver = NT4 SP6a, clients are
Win98SE).
> Once every few weeks, everything break's down due to a corrupted DBF-
file.
> The corruption is caused by data, sent to a networked printer,
inserted
> somewhere in the DBF. It's not always the same DBF, printer or
workstation.
> The problem existed already 2 years ago before we've changed from
Novell
> (3.21 with IPX/SPX to NT4 with TCP/IP).

> I hope that somebody has an explanation for this strange behavior.

> Alain Steffes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing output corrupts dbf-files

2. HELP!!! Corrupted DBF file

3. Program to determine if a DBF file is corrupted

4. Corrupted .DBF & Index files

5. corrupted dbf/dbt file

6. Corrupted DBF files

7. Corrupted dbf file

8. DB4 .dbf file corrupt??!

9. CA-VO - Error Msg : DBF: Prefix file corrupt or missing

10. DBU DBF FILE nad FOXPRO 2.6A dbf file

11. corrupt DBF

12. Corrupt DBF Header with S87 compiled app