Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
Author Message
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Hi!
The best mode for use the program in summer'87 is used the blinker like
compiler. But for used it must make the file.lnk with one particular
configuration. It must use some command for blinker in the file.lnk
In this configuration the program it works very well. The only problem
is the cpu load 100% under windows.
Bye

Originally posted by Valentin_ionita

Quote:
> [...]

>   program can be
>   modified, and a new .EXE created, but my main question is this: are
>   there any
>   NECESSARY steps that I should take (a newer version of Clipper? a
>   newer version of
>   Blinker?) in maintaining this program, considering that, eventually,
>   it will be
>   ported to VB with SQL Server(my main domain of activity), but, for
>   now, all that is
>   required from this program is that it does it's job every day
>   (there is NO
>   intention of porting this program,as a permanent solution, to
>   anything else other
>   than VB with SQL) ? Before posting this, I spent the last couple of
>   days reading
>   through this newsgroup and I saw that people that wanted to upgrade
>   were advised to
>   go to 5.2e with Blinker higher than 3.3 or 4.0. The size of the .EXE
>   is about 300k,
>   so memory is not quite a concern. I also downloaded trial versions
>   of CA-VO 2.5,
>   Fivewin and XBase++, but, since they are trial versions, I only
>   installed VO 2.5 to
>   begin with. So far, I understand that XBase++ makes the smoothest
>   transition, but
>   the company would like to spend as less money as possible on the
>   maintenance of
>   this program. I guess the perfect course of action, if possible,
>   would be to stay
>   at Summer '87 with the old linkers until I will have a thorough
>   understanding of
>   the program, so that I can port it to VB. Another question is
>   regarding the books:
>   what would you recommend for Clipper Summer 87 programming ? I
>   already ordered
>   "Using Clipper", the 1988 edition but I am looking for a
>   "Programmer's reference"
>   kind of book, something that would have all the functions,
>   procedures, keywords and
>   the likes. The HTML conversion of the Summer 87 Norton guide at
>   WWW.CLIPX.NET is
>   very good for people that already know what they are looking for,
>   but I would
>   prefer to have the whole thing in a PDF format, a continuous
>   format(because, when
>   you are just beginning, you have to do a lot of page flipping :) )
>   or paper. In any
>   case, CLIPX.NET it's a better start than having nothing to start
>   with. The last
>   question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the EXE. The
>   OBJ file is
>   named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that
>   is used in the
>   linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
>   file. Anyway, I
>   was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ file.

> Well, that's about it, for now. Thank you very much !

Valentin Ionita

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:00:12 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
if program works with plink86, or your blinker, all you need is a
book, to help you understand clipper (xbase) concept.
after that, it is easy to find detailed references about something
particular
in ng

of course, clipper 5.3 or xbase++, or something else is much better,
and even all of them use untouched, original summer87 code,
but if you don't want to spend money, and existing program works
good, leave it like that.
i also have few summer87 programs and i don't intend to update them
because they works well!

Quote:

> [...]

> >   WWW.CLIPX.NET is
> >   very good for people that already know what they are looking for,
> >   but I would
> >   prefer to have the whole thing in a PDF format, a continuous
> >   format(because, when
> >   you are just beginning, you have to do a lot of page flipping :) )
> >   or paper. In any
> >   case, CLIPX.NET it's a better start than having nothing to start
> >   with. The last
> >   question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the EXE. The
> >   OBJ file is
> >   named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that
> >   is used in the
> >   linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
> >   file. Anyway, I
> >   was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ file.

> > Well, that's about it, for now. Thank you very much !

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:23:45 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

IF have a problem with memory place in the 'autoexec.nt' in
'c:\winnt\system32' SET CLIPPER=F101;R30 and in 'config.nt change the
factory from 40 to 101 on the FILES=40.
If I need the example for linker I have the configuration for
Blinker 3.01.

After compiler the .prg -> in .obj start the linker:

<namefile.lnk>:

BLINKER OVERLAY FIXED
BLINKER OVERLAY OPSIZE 40
BLINKER OVERLAY UMB ON
BLINKER OVERLAY PAGEFRAME ON
BLINKER MEMORY PACK 10

BLINKER CACHE EMS 50%,50%
BLINKER CACHE XMS 50%,50%

BLINKER INCREMENTAL OFF

BLINKER EXECUTABLE CLIPPER F151;
BLINKER ENVIRONMENT OVERRIDE
BLINKER PROCEDURE DEPTH 45

# Root program
FILE start
OUTPUT BOLLE

# Overlays Dinamic
BEGINAREA
   FILE menu
   FILE prg1
   FILE prg2

   ALLOCATE extend

#   module db
   module dbmemo
   module dbsdf
   module errorsys
   module errsys
   module icreate
   module macro
   module memsys
   module ndebug
   module net
   module ntx
   module reef
   module report
   module segjunk
   module set
   module sort
   module sortof
   module vall
   module vnone
   module vreport
   module vsort
   module vstd
ENDAREA

SEARCH clipper

In this example if you see in the beginarea the step 'module db' I place
the # simbol (tag like rem for the autoexec.bat).
In this system the program load the part of library only run this part
of program.
If tag all module the program result fast and the ram free for the
program resul small.
Without tag all module the program result slow and the ram free for the
program resul high.
Setting e testing for the best.

Bye!
Sandro

Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:37:53 GMT

1. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

2. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

3. Help me Link file for clipper summer 87 @ plink86 or tlink

4. Versions of Summer '87 / Blinker 4.1

5. Help: Anybody using Flipper for Clipper Summer 87?

6. Clipper Summer'87

7. Looking for Books For Clipper Summer '87

8. Clipper Summer'87 cpu load 100%

9. DBU for clipper summer'87

10. Clipper Summer '87 - functions bom() / eom()

11. Clipper Summer '87 & y2k

12. I need Clipper summer '87 Language reference