Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables
Author Message
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables

I sometimes find when I am debugging a Clipper app with CLD.exe that the
values of Local variables I monitor with watchpoints or the ? command are
incorrect or even undefined. On further examination using the Monitor /
Local window I usually find the values of Local variables have been
"shifted" several places up or down the list - CLD is displaying the value
of another variable against the name of the variable I am inspecting.

I find I can get over this temporarily by editing the source code to declare
the variable as Private. CLD tracks Privates OK and I can debug that module
before re-editing the variable back to a Local.

Anyone know this CLD fault and how to fix it? Am I using too little memory?
Too many Local variables? Do I just have to live with it?

Sincerely

Peter Lawrance
POSability Software

PO Box 3353 Mount Gambier SA 5290
Australia

Bite off more than you can chew - then chew like hell!

Sat, 10 May 2003 06:33:51 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables
Peter

Quote:
> Anyone know this CLD fault and how to fix it?

Known problem with CLD

Quote:
> Am I using too little memory?

If 16M isn't enough then yes.

Quote:
> Too many Local variables?

Don't know as you didn't say how many your using<g>

Quote:
> Do I just have to live with it?

Yes and No
Yes - if you stay with CLD
No - You have two options
    1> Mr Debug
    2> Flexfile (2/3) comes with an enhanced object Inspector (requires
Classy) (de{*filter*} addon)

I haven't seen the problem since I started using either of these tools

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Sat, 10 May 2003 08:48:51 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables

Quote:

> I sometimes find when I am debugging a Clipper app with CLD.exe that the
> values of Local variables I monitor with watchpoints or the ? command are
> incorrect or even undefined.

If you use a function with a parameter statement combined with local
variables both cld and mrdebug show wrong values for the locals.

HTH

--
Gunter Herrmann
Naples, Florida

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables

Quote:

> > I sometimes find when I am debugging a Clipper app with CLD.exe that > > the values of Local variables I monitor with watchpoints or the ? > > command are incorrect or even undefined.

> If you use a function with a parameter statement combined with local
> variables both cld and mrdebug show wrong values for the locals.

> HTH

> --
> Gunter Herrmann
> Naples, Florida

  Don't use the PARAMETER statement.

  Instead of: FUNCTION ABC
              PARAMETER X, Y, Z

  Use: FUNCTION ABC(X,Y,Z)

  Then variables will be shown correctly in CLD.

-----

Information Technology Sevices      phone: (208) 885-2111
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho, 83844-3155           ---> Insert favorite saying here
<---

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables
I never use PARAMETER statement in my program. But for somehow, I also
get this incorrect variable value shown in CLD.

Garret Goh

Quote:
>   Don't use the PARAMETER statement.

>   Instead of: FUNCTION ABC
>               PARAMETER X, Y, Z

>   Use: FUNCTION ABC(X,Y,Z)

>   Then variables will be shown correctly in CLD.

> -----

> Information Technology Sevices      phone: (208) 885-2111
> University of Idaho
> Moscow, Idaho, 83844-3155           ---> Insert favorite saying here
> <---

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables
guys,

if you use the parameter statement, the variables are privates, not local.
you're right!  they won't show up under the locals 'cause they shouldn't!

i use both statements for differing purposes (if you want to wiggle the
value of a parameter, you can do so at a lower level and it's "invisibly"
passed up to the upper function).

HTH

--
Steve McNaughton
Auditron

Quote:

> > > I sometimes find when I am debugging a Clipper app with CLD.exe that >
> the values of Local variables I monitor with watchpoints or the ? > >

command are incorrect or even undefined.
Quote:

> > If you use a function with a parameter statement combined with local
> > variables both cld and mrdebug show wrong values for the locals.

> > HTH

> > --
> > Gunter Herrmann
> > Naples, Florida

>   Don't use the PARAMETER statement.

>   Instead of: FUNCTION ABC
>               PARAMETER X, Y, Z

>   Use: FUNCTION ABC(X,Y,Z)

>   Then variables will be shown correctly in CLD.

> -----

> Information Technology Sevices      phone: (208) 885-2111
> University of Idaho
> Moscow, Idaho, 83844-3155           ---> Insert favorite saying here
> <---

Sat, 10 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Debugger "loses" Local variables
What version of Clipper do you use?

Never seen that under Clipper 5.2x, but that happen with Clipper 5.3 and 5.3a.
It was fixed with Clipper 5.3b.

--
Luis Krause Mantilla

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Corrected: Visual Fortran debugger "Variables" window

2. Visual Fortran debugger "Variables" window

3. Variable "Variables"

4. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

5. Always get "Changes will be lost..."

6. I get lost with "signal"

7. tab gets "lost" in text widget

8. got lost on "uplevel set"

9. Witness Lee and the "Local Churches": A Personal Testimony

10. "Local" Batch Files

11. "local l : like Result"

12. local uses of "vars"