Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT
Author Message
 Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT

Hi everyone,

I know it's probably a daft question...... But I want to port some old
clipper 5.01 code onto these platforms. Can anyone recommend any bolt on
products / libraries / whatever I might need?

I would be so grateful.

Regards

Paul Faulkner

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT
get xbase from www.alaskasoftware.com
we decided to rewrite recode with Delphi 4 www.inprise.com

good luck...
Sergio

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I know it's probably a daft question...... But I want to port some old
> clipper 5.01 code onto these platforms. Can anyone recommend any bolt on
> products / libraries / whatever I might need?

> I would be so grateful.

> Regards

> Paul Faulkner

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT

Quote:

> I know it's probably a daft question...... But I want to port some old
> clipper 5.01 code onto these platforms. Can anyone recommend any bolt on
> products / libraries / whatever I might need?

If you want to stick with Clipper, then you can use either Clip4Win or
FiveWin, which are add-ons to Clipper that let you write Windows programs.
Visit http://www.clip4win.com/ and http://www.fivewin.com/

Then there's Xbase++ from Alaska Software, which is a 32-bit Windows
compiler for Clipper 5.2 syntax with text-mode, text-mode-in-GUI, and
Windows-GUI options. Visit http://www.alaskasoftware.com/

And there's CA-Visual Objects if you don't need 100% Clipper compatibility.
CA-VO understands most of the CA-Clipper command syntax, but you have to
rewrite your user interface to work with its Windows GUI.
Visit http://www.cai.com/
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper development for Windows 95, 98 & NT

Quote:
> I know it's probably a daft question...... But I want to port some old
> clipper 5.01 code onto these platforms. Can anyone recommend any bolt on
> products / libraries / whatever I might need?

Check out Xbase++ (it's over 99% Clipper compatible):
http://www.alaska-software.com/

If you would like to see an Xbase++ program in action you can check out the
following site: http://207.245.1.226:8080  (looks best if you use IE4 or
IE5). Since this is our test site, it has all the latest and greatest bugs
so not everything may be working right <g> but it will give you an idea
anyway.

This site is running a webserver writtem in Xbase++ with an Advantage
database back end (over 90% of the code for this system was simply ported
from an older Clipper 5.2 application). One thing that you can't see from
your browser is that this application is multithreaded. There are several
threads running in the app performing tasks invisibly in the background,
eg. printing invoices and packing slips, uploading and downloading data
to/from external systems, controlling RF scanners, etc...

BTW, Alaska Software is currently beta testing the next version of Xbase++.
This version known as SL2 will greatly improve performance vs. SL1 (the
current version) and in many cases it will also outperform Clipper.

Cheers,
Boris Borzic

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. 95, 98 & Win NT

2. 95, 98 & Win NT

3. Native XDS-x86 2.32 and XDS-C 2.32 for Windows NT/95/98 released

4. Native XDS-x86 2.32 and XDS-C 2.32 for Windows NT/95/98 released

5. AdaGIDE 7.00 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)

6. Windows 95/98/NT assembler programming

7. Windows 95/98/NT assembler programming

8. Online Tutorial for Windows 95/98/NT applications programming with FORTRAN

9. Online Tutorial for Windows 95/98/NT applications programming with FORTRAN

10. Making A Standalone Executable Under Windows NT/95/98

11. Embedding Python in Windows 95/98/NT

12. new Common Lisp for Windows 95/98/NT on the web