Using a Printserver vai IP-Adress
Author Message
 Using a Printserver vai IP-Adress

Hi!

One of my customers uses D-Link 10/100 Printserver in a Win NT - Server
and Clients Environment. The Printserver got an IP-Adress
(192.168.4.20:PS3-P1) and can be used in Windows.

I tried to use it in a Dos-Box with:

NET USE LPT2 192.168.4.20:PS3-P1
and
NET USE LPT2 \\192.168.4.20:PS3-P1

I got the message "net Adress not found" (or similar)

Does Anybody has an Idea how to get it work?

Thanks,

ingo

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:00:00 GMT
 Using a Printserver vai IP-Adress
Ingo

Here's a copy of a post by Rich Hamilton from a month or so ago that
may help you with the problem

That's exactly the trick! With what I learned from folks here, and you,
has enabled me to conquer the problem. I had to set up the port as
TCP/IP, then go back and reconfigure it as an LPR report. Win2K
documentation doesn't have this right, so you have to poke at it a bit.
And I discovered the printer queue name is "AUTO", and that has to be
set up in the LPR section ...

(By the way, this is a great printer for color printing, for anyone who
needs one. It's fast and the colors are brilliant. It's a solid ink
printer. If you print 2,000 pages a month or more (it's rated at 65,000
pages a month), Xerox is giving them away free (retail value $5100) to
offices in the US at http://www.freecolorprinters.com ... You need to
know Program ID #239008.)

Now I can print from my Clipper program to this printer, and I can get
rid of my old LaserJet II.

For anyone else who needs to configure this printer for Win2K, I typed
out my whole procedure so I don't have to figure it out again; here it
is:
--

Setting Up the Tektronix 850DP Color Printer

Start>Settings>Printers
Add Printer Wizard
 Select Local Printer
 Leave Automatically Detect clear
 Next

 (If you have not created a Tek850 LPR Port...)
    Click Create a New Port

   For "Type" select "Standard TCP/IP"
   Click the Next Button

   The Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard:
     IP Address: Enter your printer's IP Address. Mine is: 192.168.1.3
     Port Name: What you want to call the port: Tek850
     Click the Next Button
     Click the Finish Button

 Click "Use the following Port"
 Select your Tek850 port
 Click the Next Button

 Select the Printer Driver by Manufacturer and Model
   (Tektronix, Phaser 850DP -- or DX or N)
   If not listed, load from Tektronix CD in Windows 2000 folder
 Click "Keep Existing Driver (Recommended)"
 Click the Next Button
 Give the Printer a Name (TekColor)
 Click Default Printer, Yes or No, as desired.
 Click the Next Button
 Give it a Share Name: TekColor   (Remember This)
 Location: Optional; You may leave this blank
 Printing a test page is optional. Try it to test your printer.
 Click the Finish button

 The printer has been set up in Windows, but must now be customized.

 Select the New Printer from the list. Right Click, then click
Properties.
 Click the Ports Tab (If you created a new port)
   Click "Configure the Port"
   (The IP Address is already set.)
   Click LPR
   Add Queue name: Auto
   (Auto is the automatic queue for the Tektronix 850)
   Click "OK"
 Click the Advanced Tab
   Click "Printing Defaults"
   Set your desired printer defaults.
     I generally set:  Device settings: Optional Extra Trays: I have One
                                        Lower Tray: Letter
                       Layout: Print on Both Sides (or not)
                       Paper Quality: Tray Selection, Paper Source
                       Tektronix Features: Print Quality
   Click "OK"
 Click "OK" to save and close Properties

 Okay, you're done, click Close

Now, you may want to set up your printer several more times, each with
different Printing Defaults. I think it's easier to select the "Printer"
with the desired defaults tahn to go into printer setup everytime I
print something. I set up five printers. I named each printer as
follows, and made the share name the same as the printer name:

  TekColor           Standard Printing, 1-Sided
  Tek2Sides          Standard Printing, 2-Sided
  TekColor-Fast      Fast Color Printing, 1-Sided
  Tek2Sides-Fast     Fast Color Printing, 2-Sided
  TekColor-Enhanced  Enhanced Printing, 1-Sided

To set up "additional" printers with different defaults, repeat the
above procedure. You will not need to create a new port for the
"additional" printers, just select the one you created the first time
(Tek850).

Now, set up the LPT1 redirection. Open a Command Window. Enter:

 net use lpt1: \\<mycomputer>\<sharename> /persistent:yes

 Where <mycomputer> is the Network ID of your computer
 and   <sharename>  is the Share Name you set for this Printer
(TekColor)

The persistent setting should make this setting permanent, even the next
time you start up your computer..

To remove a setting, enter:

 net use lpt1: /delete

--
Rich Hamilton

HTH
Steve Quinn
If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out.

Quote:
> Hi!

> One of my customers uses D-Link 10/100 Printserver in a Win NT - Server
> and Clients Environment. The Printserver got an IP-Adress
> (192.168.4.20:PS3-P1) and can be used in Windows.

> I tried to use it in a Dos-Box with:

> NET USE LPT2 192.168.4.20:PS3-P1
> and
> NET USE LPT2 \\192.168.4.20:PS3-P1

> I got the message "net Adress not found" (or similar)

> Does Anybody has an Idea how to get it work?

> Thanks,

> ingo

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:31:45 GMT
 Using a Printserver vai IP-Adress
Hi

Shouldn't the line be:

NET USE LPT2 \\192.168.4.20\PS3-P1

???

Also, we use Dlink Print Servers and with the ones that we have you can
give them a proper network name using the PSADMIN program.

It's much nicer to see the above line as

NET USE LPT2 \\PS003\LPT1

or at least I think so...

Regards
Regan

Quote:

--

Technical Support

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:29:15 GMT
 Using a Printserver vai IP-Adress
Hi Stephen & Regan,

took a long time to say THANK YOU! but here it is...
I forwarded your suggestions to the hardware-guy who installed the
printserver.
(my part is software and I'm 500 km away.)
Everthing's running well now.

Thanks,

ingo

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:51:56 GMT

1. Ip-Adress

2. IP adress

3. resolving IP adresses

4. Detecting IP adress of PC behind a Internet-Sharing gateway

5. need a script to set IP-Adress an machine name

6. IP-adress

7. Printing with HP Jetdirect Printserver

8. Why it print very slow With Novell PrintServer....

9. TCP OPEN ERROR when using IP Address !

10. hp laser printer using ip address and no print w/ cpd 2.1

11. Passing data between apps using tcp/ip

12. Want TCP/IP transfer using Win32forth