Develop new clipper applications ??
Author Message
 Develop new clipper applications ??

I am new to Clipper development and I was wondering, "Is to worth my
time to start a new Clipper development for businesses or is this
beating a dead horse ?? I realize Windows development is the latest
thing but I know some businesses which have not and probably will not
upgrade to Windows anytime in the near future.

Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Tim Willoughby

Sun, 04 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:
>I am new to Clipper development and I was wondering, "Is to worth my
>time to start a new Clipper development for businesses or is this
>beating a dead horse ?? I realize Windows development is the latest
>thing but I know some businesses which have not and probably will not
>upgrade to Windows anytime in the near future.
>Any input would be appreciated..

Just returned from CA World 95.  Clipper is alive and well.  It is
also extreamely stable.  CAVO not very stable from all that I saw,
still lots of bugs.  The learning curve will be a long one.  I have
desided to continue with 5.2 and wait for next VO update.  No doubt
though, VO is the best Windows development app I've seen.

Steve Meyer

Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:
>I am new to Clipper development and I was wondering, "Is to worth my
>time to start a new Clipper development for businesses or is this
>beating a dead horse ?? I realize Windows development is the latest
>thing but I know some businesses which have not and probably will not
>upgrade to Windows anytime in the near future.

I've been using Clipper for years and like many in our user group love the
language. However the writings on the wall, and most future developments will
be in Windows. Some of our group are still writing in Clipper only and I am
still writing some Clipper apps.

The Clipper groups in Australia (and maybe the rest of the world) seem to be
falling apart. Unless they broaden their base to include other and in
particular windows, languages they won't survive. The melbourne group which had
been the strongest in Oz is at a crisis point and may fold within weeks. The
main topic of interest in Perth the last year or so has been where do we go
from here (Clipper) to get into windows. The much delayed VO has not been the
solution for any of us.

So to answer Tim's question. Clipper is great, you can develop stable DOS apps
in it, but support may be dwindling. Given that you are going to be learning a
new language, you future may be better served by going into a windows language.
VB, Access or Delphi (may own preference) are worth a look. VO if you're
prepared for the learning curve, and are prepared to risk CA's commitment to the
product in the long term. No-one doubts Microsoft will be around for a long
time and I think Borland's a good bet, but although CA is likely to continue,
there are those amongst our group who aren't to sure on some of their products.
Visual Foxpro has been released recently - maybe this will be the true "Clipper
for Windows" solution.

Kym Wilson
Vice president, PC Developers Group of Western Australia
(formerly the Clipper User Group of WA)

Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:
>VO if you're prepared for the learning curve, and are prepared to risk
>CA's commitment to the product in the long term. No-one doubts
>Microsoft will be around for a long time and I think Borland's a good
>bet, but although CA is likely to continue, there are those amongst
>our group who aren't to sure on some of their products.

I had the same concerns about the future of VO.  Then I saw the
developers' show-and-tell sessions with VO 2.0.  There are some
very nice things coming down the line (and CA plans on starting
the beta sometime before year end).  To me this indicates that
CA doesn't plan to kill the product.

--
Mark W. Schumann          | Geek status symbol #106: Your three-year-old
STR, Inc.                 |  daugher has memorized her email address.

Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??
Good! Because I too got concerned about the product. I'll stike with VO

Francis

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:
>I've been using Clipper for years and like many in our user group love the
>language. However the writings on the wall, and most future developments will
>be in Windows. Some of our group are still writing in Clipper only and I am
>still writing some Clipper apps.

Same Here.

Quote:
> where do we go
>from here (Clipper) to get into windows. The much delayed VO has not been the
>solution for any of us.

Facing Same situation ...

Quote:
>So to answer Tim's question. Clipper is great, you can develop stable DOS apps
>in it, but support may be dwindling. Given that you are going to be learning a
>new language, you future may be better served by going into a windows language.
>VB, Access or Delphi (may own preference) are worth a look. VO if you're
>prepared for the learning curve, and are prepared to risk CA's commitment to the
>product in the long term. No-one doubts Microsoft will be around for a long
>time and I think Borland's a good bet, but although CA is likely to continue,
>there are those amongst our group who aren't to sure on some of their products.

I agreee, what are the plans for VO ???   and in a previous post I
noted that C++ by BORLAND is hot and it seems Delfi is to be the same.
I just Got Delfi today and I have to say, so far so good.  It is Fast
too.  ALso, clipper kinda uses the same Dbase 3 structure, and guess
who owns Dbase ( BORLAND ??? ) so if you like the data structures of
DBASE, PARADOX etc as native to your app then look at Delfi.

Craig.

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:
>I had the same concerns about the future of VO.  Then I saw the
>developers' show-and-tell sessions with VO 2.0.  There are some
>very nice things coming down the line (and CA plans on starting
>the beta sometime before year end).  To me this indicates that
>CA doesn't plan to kill the product.

Same applied to VO 1.0, did you like it ... obviously your already
desiring 2.0.  My point is NO SUPPORT, PUSH of the PRODUCT etc then
what good is it realy.

How come we hear so much about other lang. but very little about VO?
Just wondering.  Now, also are you going to fork out the money for VO
2.0.  Im not happy with VO 1.0b yet.

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:

>I agreee, what are the plans for VO ???   and in a previous post I
>noted that C++ by BORLAND is hot and it seems Delfi is to be the same.
>I just Got Delfi today and I have to say, so far so good.  It is Fast
>too.  ALso, clipper kinda uses the same Dbase 3 structure, and guess
>who owns Dbase ( BORLAND ??? ) so if you like the data structures of
>DBASE, PARADOX etc as native to your app then look at Delfi.

If you are looking for the plans for VO keep your eyes open right
here.  Several people have posted regarding timetables and feature
lists for VO 2.0.  If you want some very basic overview stuff, check
out my Clipper user group page at

    ftp://ftp.wariat.org/pub/clipper/newsletter/mtng9508.txt

I am really dying to find out though why Borland's ownership of dBASE
should have any impact at all on my choice of database file format.
If you've programmed Clipper at all since about 1991, you'd know that
you have your choice of a dozen or more RDDs for Clipper.

--
Mark W. Schumann          | Geek status symbol #106: Your three-year-old
STR, Inc.                 |  daugher has memorized her email address.
6800-A W. Snowville Road  | I don't speak for STR; they would
Brecksville, OH 44141 USA | disclaim me anyway.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Develop new clipper applications ??

Quote:

>>I had the same concerns about the future of VO.  Then I saw the
>>developers' show-and-tell sessions with VO 2.0.  There are some
>>very nice things coming down the line (and CA plans on starting
>>the beta sometime before year end).  To me this indicates that
>>CA doesn't plan to kill the product.
>Same applied to VO 1.0, did you like it ... obviously your already
>desiring 2.0.  My point is NO SUPPORT, PUSH of the PRODUCT etc then
>what good is it realy.

Um... it works, has a nice OOP implementation, and works with some
of my old Clipper code?

Quote:
>How come we hear so much about other lang. but very little about VO?
>Just wondering.  Now, also are you going to fork out the money for VO
>2.0.  Im not happy with VO 1.0b yet.

You don't have to be happy with 1.0b.  If you're happy with Delphi
(spelled with the "ph", N.B.) by all means be happy there.

--
Mark W. Schumann          | Geek status symbol #106: Your three-year-old
STR, Inc.                 |  daugher has memorized her email address.
6800-A W. Snowville Road  | I don't speak for STR; they would
Brecksville, OH 44141 USA | disclaim me anyway.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fixing Clipper applications (without source) to new Processors

2. New Clipper...Clipper...Clipper Search Engine

3. What's new at Clipper...Clipper...Clipper

4. Developing Database Applications in Smalltalk

5. Developing windows forms applications

6. Developing windows forms applications

7. How to develop multi dll and multi dictionary application

8. "Developing Visual Programming Applications Using Smalltalk"

9. "Developing Clarion for Windows Applications"

10. Help for developing C++ database application (Sigh!!!)

11. developing web enabled applications with Labview 6.0

12. developing A DMM Custom GUI application