DOS clipper under win95
Author Message
 DOS clipper under win95

I have a problem with old clipper programs functioning under win95 and
NT.

I have made changes to my config.sys to add files = 120, and made
changes to the 'set clipper=' so that there should be enough declared to
open more than 20 files at once.

But no...

Every time the application tries to open file no 21, the applications
crashes.

If you choose reboot to DOS, so you actualy quit windows and return in
the DOS prompt, everything works out fine.

Some DOS programs report that there are 120 files declared when running
from a dos box so they ARE available, but the clipper application does
not seem to bother and crashes.

Is there some solution or workaround without having to reprogram the
original sourcecode??

Thanks,

B.J.H. de Boer

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Quote:
> I have made changes to my config.sys to add files = 120, and made
> changes to the 'set clipper=' so that there should be enough declared to
> open more than 20 files at once.
> But no...
> Every time the application tries to open file no 21, the applications
> crashes.

So if you use:

Function Main()
LOCAL i, anHandle[100]
AFILL(anHandle, -1)
FOR i := 1 TO 100
   anHandle[ i ] := FCREATE( PADL(LTRIM(STR(i)), 8, "0")+".TMP" )

   // It will fail here with i = 21 ??

NEXT
FOR i := 1 TO 100
   IF anHandle[i]!=-1
      FCLOSE( anHandle[i] )
   ENDIF
NEXT
RETURN NIL

If the above doesn't crash at the given point with i = 21, there might be
another problem. Failure to open a file shouldn't 'hang' a system AFAIK.

Anne.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Are you running on a network?  You may need to set the file handles in
net.cfg if running old dos/win 3.1 stations on Novell.  (Yeah, I know
a bit dated but we've still got 'em here.....)

Fleet Senseman

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

BJ

I have a suspicion that Clipper does not like the Windows 95 DOS BOX.
Try running it in full screen mode with default initial screen size.  If
that works please post a response.

cheers

Rod.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Clipper works fine in a DOS box.  What you talking about.  What is the
problem?

Quote:
>BJ

>I have a suspicion that Clipper does not like the Windows 95 DOS BOX.
>Try running it in full screen mode with default initial screen size.  If
>that works please post a response.

>cheers

>Rod.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Hi,

Make sure that your autoexec.bat and config.sys are in the root directory.

I hope you changed 'set clipper=' to 'set clipper=f120' otherwise it won't
work.

Hope this is useful.

Peter

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

wrote (possibly edited):

Quote:
>I have a suspicion that Clipper does not like the Windows 95 DOS BOX.
>Try running it in full screen mode with default initial screen size.  If
>that works please post a response.

Rod

I have numerous apps running on numerous PCs with Win95 and DOS boxes.
Almost no problems, almost no fiddling with properties but they do run
VERY fast.

Don

"I never forget anything I remember"

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

For NT, you need to modify the file config.nt in the \winnt\system32
directory. The file acts like config.sys under win95 and DOS.

Quote:
> I have a problem with old clipper programs functioning under win95 and
> NT.

> I have made changes to my config.sys to add files = 120, and made
> changes to the 'set clipper=' so that there should be enough declared to
> open more than 20 files at once.

> But no...

> Every time the application tries to open file no 21, the applications
> crashes.

> If you choose reboot to DOS, so you actualy quit windows and return in
> the DOS prompt, everything works out fine.

> Some DOS programs report that there are 120 files declared when running
> from a dos box so they ARE available, but the clipper application does
> not seem to bother and crashes.

> Is there some solution or workaround without having to reprogram the
> original sourcecode??

> Thanks,

> B.J.H. de Boer

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Hi

I am afraid that the problem is'nt file handles or the Win95 DOS-box
but it is the locking-scheme of Win-NT that is causing all the problems. Try
reading the other news in this group, a lot of people are experiancing
locking and file i/o problems with NT
The only sollution I can think of is just FDisk the NT-server and install
Novell again.

--
Bas Krommenhoek

please remove "~nospam" to reply.

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

Quote:
> The only sollution I can think of is just FDisk the NT-server and install
> Novell again.

Perfect solution, NT-server is nothing then trouble

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS clipper under win95

I have tried setting up my clipper applications in two locations.  The servers
are Windows NT 4.0.  In one of the server the application runs fine, but on the
other some of my modules won't run.  I have noticed that in the first server
there are not many shared folders, but on the other there are plenty of shares.

Quote:

> Hi

> I am afraid that the problem is'nt file handles or the Win95 DOS-box
> but it is the locking-scheme of Win-NT that is causing all the problems. Try
> reading the other news in this group, a lot of people are experiancing
> locking and file i/o problems with NT
> The only sollution I can think of is just FDisk the NT-server and install
> Novell again.

> --
> Bas Krommenhoek

> please remove "~nospam" to reply.

Thu, 30 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CLIPPER 5.2e under Win95 - DOS Error 55

2. Migrate Clipper App to Win95 or DOS

3. Clipper S87 + Blinker 4.x + out of memory unter Win95 in DOS-Task

4. Clipper 5.2d in Win95 DOS window?

5. Clipper 5.2e and Win95 dos error 4

6. Clipper craches on Win95 DOS Shell

7. CDD 3009 with GUI running on WIN95 dos box - Using BEEP or dataentry ERROR - HUNG WIN95

8. Clarion 2.1 for DOS and printing in a WIN95 DOS window

9. Clipper 5.x, NT40/DOS and a DOS ERROR 32

10. DOS Clipper to Windows Clipper

11. Need CLIPPER 5.x (DOS) programmer for maintaining Clipper programs

12. Migrating DOS/Clipper Apps to Windows/Clipper Apps