Error Message DBF/NTX1010
Author Message
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Anyone ou ther throw som elight on why I am getting a DBF/NTX1010 error
when indexing a dbf file which is resident on our file server. When I
copy the file to my local drive, the indexing works OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

                                Thanks
                                                Andy

ZX81 -> 800XL -> 520ST -> PC.   Where did I go wrong ?

Sun, 26 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Quote:

> Anyone ou ther throw som elight on why I am getting a DBF/NTX1010 error
> when indexing a dbf file which is resident on our file server. When I
> copy the file to my local drive, the indexing works OK.

> Any help would be appreciated.

>                            Thanks
>                                            Andy

> ZX81 -> 800XL -> 520ST -> PC.   Where did I go wrong ?

It is because somebody on the network has open the file shared or
read only. You have to be able to open the file exclusively to be
able to rebuild the indexes!!!

Good Luck!

Vincent

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Quote:
> >> Anyone ou ther throw som elight on why I am getting a DBF/NTX1010
> error
> >> when indexing a dbf file which is resident on our file server. When I
> >> copy the file to my local drive, the indexing works OK.

> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >It is because somebody on the network has open the file shared or
> >read only. You have to be able to open the file exclusively to be
> >able to rebuild the indexes!!!

> Hey clipperdudes...
>    Opening a file in shared mode does not create indexing problems. You
> donot need to have them open in exclusive mode...Only when packing do
> you need them in exclusive mode.
>    You can open a file in shared mode and index on it with no problem.
> But if another user has the Dbf file open with the corresponding index
> open, and you try to index or reindex...that will bomb cause you cannot
> overwrite a (index)file that is currently open or being used.

At the time of indexing, I writing the NTX file to my local drive
therefore file sharing should not be an issue. The DBF file lives on the
file server and could be open in a shared mode.

Just to completely confuse you all, I am now getting the DBFNTX/1010
error while running a report which uses a DBF file and an NTX file. It
is not attemtpting to wright to either, merely read. Even stranger is
when I run the same report from a different workstation, I get no
problems !! I am currently checking out the Novell shell on my
workstation but everything else is cool and groovy regards networking.

ZX81 -> 800XL -> 520ST -> PC.   Where did I go wrong ?

Tue, 28 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

 > > > Anyone ou ther throw som elight on why I am getting a DBF/NTX1010
 > > > when indexing a dbf file which is resident on our file server. When I
 > > > copy the file to my local drive, the indexing works OK.
 >>
 > >It is because somebody on the network has open the file shared or
 > >read only. You have to be able to open the file exclusively to be
 > >able to rebuild the indexes!!!

Quote:

>Hey clipperdudes...
>   Opening a file in shared mode does not create indexing problems. You
>do not need to have them open in exclusive mode...Only when packing do
>you need them in exclusive mode.
>   You can open a file in shared mode and index on it with no problem.
>But if another user has the Dbf file open with the corresponding index
>open, and you try to index or reindex...that will bomb cause you cannot
>overwrite a (index)file that is currently open or being used.
>                                        Dan...

If only it were that easy, Dan.  In fact it depends on the RDD in use.
Some of them require that you have the file openned exclusive or it
generates a runtime error.  It seems that a lot of statements we make
about Clipper these days need to be qualified by RDD being used.

Frank

Wed, 29 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Quote:

>> error when indexing a dbf file which is resident on our file server.

When I copy the file to my local drive, the indexing works OK.

Quote:

>At the time of indexing, I writing the NTX file to my local drive
>therefore file sharing should not be an issue. The DBF file lives on
the
>file server and could be open in a shared mode.

>Just to completely confuse you all, I am now getting the DBFNTX/1010
>error while running a report which uses a DBF file and an NTX file. It
>is not attemtpting to wright to either, merely read. Even stranger is
>when I run the same report from a different workstation, I get no
>problems !! I am currently checking out the Novell shell on my
>workstation but everything else is cool and groovy regards networking.

>ZX81 -> 800XL -> 520ST -> PC.   Where did I go wrong ?

Hey Andy...
   First let's clarify whether you are using the native DBF and NTX's
and not any add-on drivers.  The so called RDD's which definitely is an
issue for some.
   For reporting purposes, with the need for temp indexes and temp
files, I do the same and have found no probs at all. But the process
works for one workstation and not the other????
   Have you checked the status of the particular workstation's Hard
Drive?  Try CHKDSK/F or use norton utilities to diagnose the Hard drive.
 Sometimes the hard drive failure do give bizarre results especially
when using third party libs or linkers.  Maybe it's actually the SWAP
file that the dynamic linker is trying to create which bombs and not
the indexing.  Check for viruses while you're at it also...
                                             Dan...
                                          Damn those viruses!!!

Thu, 30 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010
And so spake Dan Han:

: >  Where would I look for the swap file on my workstation ?
:    SWAP files should be located in your default temp directory.
: Type "SET" at dos to set your system setting.  This will show you your
: system setting.

According to the NG, Clipper creates temp and swap files in the path
specified by SWAPPATH and TEMPPATH, or the current directory.  Blinker's
SWPRUNCMD() is similar, if a swap path is not specified.  Blinker's DOS
extender VM swap file does observe the TMP/TEMP environment variables.

-Dave

--

 \_\_Database Guy\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_NASA Langley Research Center\_\_/_/
  \_\_I-NET, Inc. \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_Hampton, {*filter*}ia, USA\_\_/

Mon, 03 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Quote:

>  Where would I look for the swap file on my workstation ?

Hey Andy...
   SWAP files should be located in your default temp directory.
Type "SET" at dos to set your system setting.  This will show you your
system setting.
   If not specified with set temp=c:\temp in your config.sys
autoexec.bat or any bat files, your temp dir will probably be the root
of c: or even the network drive via the map command which the user may
not have access to!!! Could that be it?
   If running from windoze, check the windows dir also.  I usually have
a temp=c:\temp to direct all of my junk to write there.

                                  Hope it helps dude...
                      If not I like to know what's causing this

Mon, 03 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010
Oh by the way...
  Did you check the memory setting for that workstation?
Network drivers and conventional memory,,expand,,expand setting?
I think I did have weird error msgs when someone from the comp dept
loaded whole bunch of stuff without tellin me...hehe

Mon, 03 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Error Message DBF/NTX1010

Date: Wednesday, May 24, 1995 11.04.33 GMT

Here's an even bigger spooky thing. It stopped happening !

No more DBF/NTX1010's. I didn't change a damn thing.

Weird.
                        Andy

ZX81 -> 800XL -> 520ST -> PC.   Where did I go wrong ?

Sun, 09 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. HARBOUR-project : Error DBF/1001 Open error: Arbeider.dbf

2. Error BASE/2012 Create error: AC01.DBF (DOS Error 32)

3. DBF Open Errors DOS ERROR 4

4. DBF/NTX error 1035 Lock Error

5. HELP: Error BBFNTX/1001 Open Error: posprhd.dbf

6. ERROR MESSAGE: Internal Error: tpsbt.cpp line 2172

7. Network error Message Error 50

8. Error message dbcommital internal error 19

9. Error message Ordlistadd (0) Internal error 1010

10. Error message Internal error 1010

11. spelling error in [scan] error message :)

12. error in dbf access