Looking For Manuals 
Author Message
 Looking For Manuals

Hello Everyone,

I've recently purchased Clarion For Windows 2.003 Standard Edition.  I
really like what I've seen so far but all (except for a getting started
book) of the documentation comes on the CD.  Does anyone have any manual
that I can purchase from them?  Even if they are version 1.5 I'd really
like to get my hands on some more doc.

Also, the only book I've seen for Clarion For Windows is a "Dummy" book.
It's great but it really doesn't go deep enough.  Any ideas?

Thanks a ton in advance for any help.


Ed Boddecker



Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

You can print the on-line documentation.  This has an interesting
"side-effect", you can print out just the sections your are interested in.
Or you can print the whole thing.
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Consulting & Education

[Using MS Internet News 3.0]



Quote:
> Hello Everyone,

> I've recently purchased Clarion For Windows 2.003 Standard Edition.  I
> really like what I've seen so far but all (except for a getting started
> book) of the documentation comes on the CD.  Does anyone have any manual
> that I can purchase from them?  Even if they are version 1.5 I'd really
> like to get my hands on some more doc.

> Also, the only book I've seen for Clarion For Windows is a "Dummy" book.
> It's great but it really doesn't go deep enough.  Any ideas?

> Thanks a ton in advance for any help.


> Ed Boddecker



Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

Quote:

>As a new CW user, I find it discouraging that printed, bound documentation
>is not available for the standard version.  

Hello

I agree that printed manuals are sometimes more convenient than on-line
documentation, but you have to understand that if you paid $49 or even $99
for CW Standard you can not require full 1600+ pages of documentation in
printed format.

If you are serious about getting all the CW manuals in printed format, I
suggest upgrading to CW Professional or Clarion 4.

You may also want to check your local bookstore. There are some 3rd party
CW books available:

Developing Clarion for Windows Applications
By Santos and Harms
(ISBN 0-62-30674-3)

Clarion for Windows for Dummies
By Moseley and DeFabia
(ISBN 1-56884-334-8)

Quote:
>I think it would foster good will with people that don't want to spend several
>hundred dollars on a program they aren't sure they'll like just to get bound manuals.

CW Professional does not give you only manuals. It gives you a set of file
drivers, Clarion Report writer, support for ODBC, support for OLE/OCX's,
possibility to create one-piece executables etc...

Best regards,

                Martin



Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

On 6 Aug 97 14:33:50 GMT, "Russell B. Eggen (Topspeed)"

Quote:

>You do know that you can print only the areas you need?

>--
>Russell B. Eggen
>Topspeed Consulting & Education

>[Using MS Internet News 3.0]


>> It nice to have so documentation on the CD, but I find it difficult to
>> read and study manuals on a computer screen.  Especially in the beginning

>> phase of learning when they are referred to constantly...  The option of
>> printing the manuals from the CD is just not acceptable since it exceeds
>> some 1600+ pages.  

I'd like to have it all<G>.  Really, I'd like to have _ALL_ of the
documentation so I could browse at my leisure.  Being new, I might not know
what I really need.


Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals



Quote:

>>I don't understand what you mean by I don't "require" full
>>documentation!?!?  

>When I read your original comment, I had a feeling that you were
>disappointed and complaining because your $49-99 (almost free) CW Standard
>includes documentation only in electronic format instead of full set of
>printed manuals. Expecting 1600+ pages of printed documentation with under
>$100 application is far from realistic.

I was not expecting to get that much documentation included with the
standard edition.  What I was referring to was published documentation as a
separate product.
Quote:
>>Why should I speed X-hundred dollars to get CE Professional, only to decide
>>I really don't like it?  If I could look through the manuals, at my
>>leisure, I _MIGHT_ become convince that CW is the one development system I
>>can't live without<G>.

>Why would you want to spend money at all since you already have ALL the
>manuals on your CD which are 1:1 with the printed documentation?

I'm one of those strange people that likes to read manuals away from the
computer so I can have something to attack when I get back to the keyboard.
I like reading on planes, trains, automobiles, and, of course, in the
"throne room."
Quote:
>>I've seen these books.  I want the manuals!!!!!!!

>Since Topspeeds policy is not to sell printed documentation separately, I
>guess your best bet is to order CW Professional ...or print the on-line
>manuals ...or read them on your screen ...or forget the whole thing. There
>is absolutely no need to YELL at me!!!!!!!!

>That's it.

>    Martin

Sorry if you got the impression I was yelling at you.  I used the
exclamation points for emphasis only.  If an apology is needed, then I
apologize right here and now in front of everyone in this "world."  It was
not my intention to offend.


Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

Have you ever considered getting a wall mount for your monitor? <bg>
--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Consulting & Education

[Using MS Internet News 3.0]



Quote:
> Agreed, but it's a hell of a problem sitting in bed with the 17"
> monitor sitting on your lap<vbg>  The acrobat files are better since
> you can print out an entire section if you want...  



Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

Quote:

>I don't understand what you mean by I don't "require" full
>documentation!?!?  

When I read your original comment, I had a feeling that you were
disappointed and complaining because your $49-99 (almost free) CW Standard
includes documentation only in electronic format instead of full set of
printed manuals. Expecting 1600+ pages of printed documentation with under
$100 application is far from realistic.

Quote:
>Why should I speed X-hundred dollars to get CE Professional, only to decide
>I really don't like it?  If I could look through the manuals, at my
>leisure, I _MIGHT_ become convince that CW is the one development system I
>can't live without<G>.

Why would you want to spend money at all since you already have ALL the
manuals on your CD which are 1:1 with the printed documentation?

Quote:
>I've seen these books.  I want the manuals!!!!!!!

Since Topspeeds policy is not to sell printed documentation separately, I
guess your best bet is to order CW Professional ...or print the on-line
manuals ...or read them on your screen ...or forget the whole thing. There
is absolutely no need to YELL at me!!!!!!!!

That's it.

        Martin



Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

TS has a 30 day money back guarantee - use it if you don't like the
product.

If anyone from TS would care to expand upon this!

David



Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Looking For Manuals

Hi Joe,



Quote:
>I'm one of those strange people that likes to read manuals away from the
>computer so I can have something to attack when I get back to the keyboard.
>I like reading on planes, trains, automobiles, and, of course, in the
>"throne room."

Same here;)  I was "fortunate" enough to spend 10 days in bed due to a
discus problem in my back 2 years ago and plowed my way through the
entire CW 1.501 manual while I was in bed - better than doing nothing
at all!  Learned a lot and found a lot of information I'd never have
found otherwise;)

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
Allerup Edb
Tel: +45 4675 7122
Fax: +45 4675 7144
Denmark


http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601



Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Looking for manual for Sylkie Application Initialization template 2.2

2. Looking 4 Manual Book

3. Look for manual-book x386

4. Looking for Manuals for DEC 10 PROLOG

5. Looking for ENVY manual

6. Looking for set of manuals for Dos 3.0 Clarion

7. Looking for Canon Cat manual (hardcopy or digital format)

8. I am looking for a manual of LabVIEW

9. Looking for an old manual...

10. Looking for Canon Cat manual (hardcopy or digital format)

11. Looking for used FPC technical manual

12. looking for sisal 2 manual

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software