Record Array
Author Message
 Record Array

As a newcomer to Clarion, perhaps I'm missing something, or just doing it
wrong. I want a record in a table to store the number, quantity and value
of all the sales for each hour of the day. That is, I want one record for
each day, keyed by date, containing an array with 24 elements, each one
containing 3 fields, for number, quantity and value. I defined the record
in the data dictionary with a date field and then a GROUP with dimension
24. Underneath the group I put the 3 fields. It looked OK on screen. The
3 fields were indented under the group. But anything I do with the
record, such as building a browse box or even using the dictionary
editor, seems to treat the fields as if they were single items, rather
than part of an array. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any help would
be appreciated.

Phil Lancaster

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:43:03 GMT
 Record Array
Phil,

1. Do not use a group (not necessary)
    Give every item an array of 24
2. The dictionary browser can't display arrays.

Cheers, Jos

Quote:
> As a newcomer to Clarion, perhaps I'm missing something, or just doing it
> wrong. I want a record in a table to store the number, quantity and value
> of all the sales for each hour of the day. That is, I want one record for
> each day, keyed by date, containing an array with 24 elements, each one
> containing 3 fields, for number, quantity and value. I defined the record
> in the data dictionary with a date field and then a GROUP with dimension
> 24. Underneath the group I put the 3 fields. It looked OK on screen. The
> 3 fields were indented under the group. But anything I do with the
> record, such as building a browse box or even using the dictionary
> editor, seems to treat the fields as if they were single items, rather
> than part of an array. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any help would
> be appreciated.

> Phil Lancaster

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:44:59 GMT
 Record Array

says...
Quote:
> Phil,

> 1. Do not use a group (not necessary)
>     Give every item an array of 24
> 2. The dictionary browser can't display arrays.

> Cheers, Jos

> > As a newcomer to Clarion, perhaps I'm missing something, or just doing it
> > wrong. I want a record in a table to store the number, quantity and value
> > of all the sales for each hour of the day. That is, I want one record for
> > each day, keyed by date, containing an array with 24 elements, each one
> > containing 3 fields, for number, quantity and value. I defined the record
> > in the data dictionary with a date field and then a GROUP with dimension
> > 24. Underneath the group I put the 3 fields. It looked OK on screen. The
> > 3 fields were indented under the group. But anything I do with the
> > record, such as building a browse box or even using the dictionary
> > editor, seems to treat the fields as if they were single items, rather
> > than part of an array. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any help would
> > be appreciated.

> > Phil Lancaster

Thanks, Joe, I'll give it a go ...

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:12:43 GMT
 Record Array
Thanks, Jos, that worked fine, though it points up a weakness in Clarion,
You should be able to define a group with a dimension so that the fields
in that group take the dimension from it. There's a big conceptual (and
storage) difference between a (24 times), b (24 times) c (24 times) and a
group of a,b and c 24 times. Anyway...

I now have a problem which may be a serious Clarion bug, unless there's a
user parameter somewhere that I need to increase. I built my browse and
used the list box formatter to display number, quantity and value sold
across the screen 24 times. Then I started grouping each set of three so
the first three were headed 8.00-9.00am, the next set 9.00-10.00am, and
so on. I've discovered that as soon as I group the 20th set, the entire
list box disappears. I've had to rebuild it several times, eventually
saving it every few seconds to discover where exactly the problem
occurred. It must be some sort of capacity problem, as I've discovered
that if I insert another column at the beginning, it also makes the list
box disappear. Any ideas?

Thanks
Phil Lancaster

says...

Quote:
> Phil,

> 1. Do not use a group (not necessary)
>     Give every item an array of 24
> 2. The dictionary browser can't display arrays.

> Cheers, Jos

> > As a newcomer to Clarion, perhaps I'm missing something, or just doing it
> > wrong. I want a record in a table to store the number, quantity and value
> > of all the sales for each hour of the day. That is, I want one record for
> > each day, keyed by date, containing an array with 24 elements, each one
> > containing 3 fields, for number, quantity and value. I defined the record
> > in the data dictionary with a date field and then a GROUP with dimension
> > 24. Underneath the group I put the 3 fields. It looked OK on screen. The
> > 3 fields were indented under the group. But anything I do with the
> > record, such as building a browse box or even using the dictionary
> > editor, seems to treat the fields as if they were single items, rather
> > than part of an array. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any help would
> > be appreciated.

> > Phil Lancaster

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:49:49 GMT
 Record Array
Phil, I'll try to simulate it.
If it's true then this should be reported to the bug newsgroup, because
there's no parameter.

Gr Jos

Quote:
> Thanks, Jos, that worked fine, though it points up a weakness in Clarion,
> You should be able to define a group with a dimension so that the fields
> in that group take the dimension from it. There's a big conceptual (and
> storage) difference between a (24 times), b (24 times) c (24 times) and a
> group of a,b and c 24 times. Anyway...

> I now have a problem which may be a serious Clarion bug, unless there's a
> user parameter somewhere that I need to increase. I built my browse and
> used the list box formatter to display number, quantity and value sold
> across the screen 24 times. Then I started grouping each set of three so
> the first three were headed 8.00-9.00am, the next set 9.00-10.00am, and
> so on. I've discovered that as soon as I group the 20th set, the entire
> list box disappears. I've had to rebuild it several times, eventually
> saving it every few seconds to discover where exactly the problem
> occurred. It must be some sort of capacity problem, as I've discovered
> that if I insert another column at the beginning, it also makes the list
> box disappear. Any ideas?

> Thanks
> Phil Lancaster

> says...
> > Phil,

> > 1. Do not use a group (not necessary)
> >     Give every item an array of 24
> > 2. The dictionary browser can't display arrays.

> > Cheers, Jos

> > > As a newcomer to Clarion, perhaps I'm missing something, or just doing
it
> > > wrong. I want a record in a table to store the number, quantity and
value
> > > of all the sales for each hour of the day. That is, I want one record
for
> > > each day, keyed by date, containing an array with 24 elements, each
one
> > > containing 3 fields, for number, quantity and value. I defined the
record
> > > in the data dictionary with a date field and then a GROUP with
dimension
> > > 24. Underneath the group I put the 3 fields. It looked OK on screen.
The
> > > 3 fields were indented under the group. But anything I do with the
> > > record, such as building a browse box or even using the dictionary
> > > editor, seems to treat the fields as if they were single items, rather
> > > than part of an array. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any help
would
> > > be appreciated.

> > > Phil Lancaster

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:26:27 GMT

1. RECORD,ARRAY in CONSTs

2. Variant record arrays

3. An array of records within an array of records (Still a problem)

4. an array of records within an array of records

5. Array Record Variables

6. How to build an array of 700,000 records?

7. Adding records from an array

8. Get record in an array

9. Dynamic Array of Record

10. Arrays of Records and Sequential File Reading

11. dynamic arrays in a record ?

12. Pragma Import on arrays in record types