Need NTTP control recomendations 
Author Message
 Need NTTP control recomendations

Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup articles?

I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
does not seem to be an option.

Thanks in advance!

Charles



Sat, 31 May 2003 14:18:33 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
This will be included in the next NetTalk release. It'll be the first
release of the NNTP code so there may be a bug or two, but they will be
speedily fixed. see www.capesoft.com for more information on NetTalk

Also I believe Clarion 5.5. includes some NNTP code.

--
Cheers
Bruce Johnson -
CapeSoft Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com


Quote:
> Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup
articles?

> I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
> does not seem to be an option.

> Thanks in advance!

> Charles



Sat, 31 May 2003 23:11:34 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:18:33 -0700, "Charles Christopher"

Quote:

>Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup articles?

>I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
>does not seem to be an option.

I haven't tried the Catalyst controls in the Visual Edition.  However,
the Library Edition seems to be quite stable.  While I haven't tried
the NNTP DLL, the SMTP, HTTP, and FTP DLLs seem to be quite stable.
I think more Clarion types are using the Library Edition than the
Visual Edition based on what I've seen.  Therefore, there are a number
of corrections to the prototypes, etc. that make it quite good for use
with Clarion.  I would explain your situation to Cary Harwin, (I
believe he's the owner at Catalyst), and see if he'll let you swap
over to the Library Edition.

Rick Smith
Nationwide Advertising Service



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:31:20 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
Hi Bruce!

Quote:
> Also I believe Clarion 5.5. includes some NNTP code.

Upload only, I'm afraid.

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
http://www.pcferret.com/ for RARS, NetClip
http://www.pcferret.com/teletools.html for Telephony
http://www.pcferret.com/gps.html for GPS!
Virtual Access 5.50 build 311 Win98
http://counter.li.org ID #184149
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS..."



Sat, 31 May 2003 19:38:21 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations

Quote:

>On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:18:33 -0700, "Charles Christopher"

>>Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup
articles?

>>I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
>>does not seem to be an option.

>I haven't tried the Catalyst controls in the Visual Edition.  However,
>the Library Edition seems to be quite stable.  While I haven't tried
>the NNTP DLL, the SMTP, HTTP, and FTP DLLs seem to be quite stable.

When I used Version 3.1 I found many bugs in these modules. Catalyst update
reports indicate the bugs I found have all been fixed. The biggest problems
I have with Cataylst is that they provide poor examples, docs and ignore my
support e-mails. To their credit, when I last researched Web controls for
Clarion (about a year ago), theirs was the only Controls that came close to
working correctly ... now if they just supported the product I whould be
happy!

Quote:
>I think more Clarion types are using the Library Edition than the
>Visual Edition based on what I've seen.  Therefore, there are a number
>of corrections to the prototypes, etc. that make it quite good for use
>with Clarion.  I would explain your situation to Cary Harwin, (I
>believe he's the owner at Catalyst), and see if he'll let you swap
>over to the Library Edition.

Allready tried and he said no.

Quote:
>Rick Smith
>Nationwide Advertising Service

Thank you for your perspective, and my appologies for my "venting".

Charles



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:58:35 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations

Quote:

>This will be included in the next NetTalk release. It'll be the first
>release of the NNTP code so there may be a bug or two, but they will be
>speedily fixed.

Great! I will download it and try it out!

Quote:
> see www.capesoft.com for more information on NetTalk

>Also I believe Clarion 5.5. includes some NNTP code.

>--
>Cheers
>Bruce Johnson -
>CapeSoft Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com



>> Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup
>articles?

>> I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket
Tools
>> does not seem to be an option.

>> Thanks in advance!

>> Charles



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:00:03 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
Hi Charles,

I've spoken to the powers to be and contact the office and let them
know that David approved an exchange to the Library Edition....
that's really what should be used with Clarion. We have many happy
Clarion users working with the Library Edition and appreciate the
Clarion Declarations included.

Good Luck,

David
www.catalyst.com

 On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:18:33 -0700, "Charles Christopher"

Quote:

>Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup articles?

>I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
>does not seem to be an option.

>Thanks in advance!

>Charles



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:20:47 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
Oh - ok - Well NetTalk is Read & Write...
--
Cheers
Bruce Johnson -
Clarion Accessories available from www.ClarionShop.com


Quote:
> Hi Bruce!

> > Also I believe Clarion 5.5. includes some NNTP code.

> Upload only, I'm afraid.

> -- Craig (The Data Ferret)
> http://www.pcferret.com/ for RARS, NetClip
> http://www.pcferret.com/teletools.html for Telephony
> http://www.pcferret.com/gps.html for GPS!
> Virtual Access 5.50 build 311 Win98
> http://counter.li.org ID #184149
> "Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS..."



Sun, 01 Jun 2003 14:41:38 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:58:35 -0700, "Charles Christopher"

Quote:

>When I used Version 3.1 I found many bugs in these modules. Catalyst update
>reports indicate the bugs I found have all been fixed. The biggest problems
>I have with Cataylst is that they provide poor examples, docs and ignore my
>support e-mails. To their credit, when I last researched Web controls for
>Clarion (about a year ago), theirs was the only Controls that came close to
>working correctly ... now if they just supported the product I whould be
>happy!

Visual Edition or Library Edition?  I've been using Library Edition
since version 3.0 or 3.1 and have found no bugs.  Well, I did find a
documentation "bug" which I reported.  I don't know if it was fixed.
I haven't looked.  I agree with you about the examples, support, etc.
I was asked awhile back to head up an Open Source group to create
better examples, prototypes, etc.  (Just found some errors the other
day in CSERRORS.CLW.)  However, the person who asked me hasn't said
anymore about it so I don't know where that stands.

Quote:
>Allready tried and he said no.

Bummer.  That surprises me a bit.

Quote:
>Thank you for your perspective, and my appologies for my "venting".

You're welcome.<g>

Rick Smith
Nationwide Advertising Service



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:12:28 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
I had been using Visual edition.

Yesterday Catalyst exchanged my Visual edition with library edition, Thank
You!

I find OLE/OCX relatively easy to hack, I think this goes hand in hand with
the very concept of OLE/OCX, and so the lack of documentation cause lots of
hacking but eventually things start to work (API bugs are a different
issue).

DLL based API's are not so easy to hack! I spent 6 hours on the Library
edition and cannot even get the damn initializer to accept the string from
the header file!!!!



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:06:36 GMT  
 Need NTTP control recomendations
Hi Charles,


Quote:
>Can anyone please suggest a good control for downloading NewsGroup articles?

>I am finding Catalyst v3.5 NNTP to be very buggy, so Catalyst Socket Tools
>does not seem to be an option.

I created a rudimentary NNTP reader in Clarion 5 using Catalyst NNTP dlls from the Library version (I don't remember what version I have, I don't have it on my labtop)  I didn't find any particular bugs in it and it seemed to work pretty well.  I've never used the Visual Edition so I can't comment on it.

Best regards,

Arnr Baldvinsson        
San Antonio, Texas, USA
www.icetips.com & www.candobidding.com



Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:26:21 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. AI addon needed, any recomendations?

2. Need recomendations for Modula-2 compiler on Sun/Sequent/MS-DOS

3. recomendations needed

4. NTTP using proxy

5. Book recomendations

6. Soliciting Equipment Recomendations...

7. SealSoft xWord - Recomendations?

8. Recomendations for CW install & Help files

9. Recomendations for project language

10. Book recomendations?

11. Any good book recomendations?

12. Recomendations for a good Verilog book for beginners

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software