Reading an Excel document
Author Message
 Reading an Excel document

Hi

I am trying to read an Excel spreadsheet. After looking an various methods
I think ODBC is my best bet. I set up my data source, and then setup a
dictionary with the data source name as OWNER and the spreadsheet as
filename.

It nearly works! When I try to access the data it says File does not exist,
Do I want to create one. If I say YES it creates a new sheet in Excel
document. Excel can read any data that Clarion writes.

BUT, Clarion cannot see the data that existed ie in SHEET1.

Does anyone have any experience in this area , or is there a better way.

I put a trace on the ODBC but the log is full of statements I cant relate
to. Any help here would also help.

Thanks
Mick Carter

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading an Excel document
Go to ftp://ftp.icetips.com/incoming/
and get the Access97ODBC2.ZIP and Access97ODBC2.TXT files.  They contain a
working Clarion4 Legacy application that runs against a supplied Access97
database using ODBC.

Included is the .app and .dct, plus instructions on setting up 32-bit ODBC
datasources, and the 16-bit ODBC administrator that the Clarion IDE needs to
permit you to import and browse data files.

The technique for Excel mirrors that for Access97.
Declare the data source and do an import.
I believe that something is wrong in the data source setup.
I've pulled Excel tables into topspeed files using this technique and I think I
remember that somewhere I had to specify the sheet I was dealing with when I
setup or did the import.
        Tim

Quote:

--
Tim Phillips
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reading from MS Word and Excel documents

2. Re : Reading MS Word Document

3. Read Word Document

4. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

5. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

6. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

7. Read Word Document

8. Reading Oberon/F Text Documents

9. Mouse-port reading help/documents wanted.

10. How to read document in .pdf

11. Mouse-port reading help/documents wanted.

12. Reading and saving data of VRML objects in XML document