Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen
Author Message
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

I have tried on several occasions to set up a screen (Browse) with
multiple TABS, each having a seperate browse. For example one tab may
list the employee by last name (with the last name in the first column.)
Next I add a TAB to the PROPERTY sheet and create another browse to list
the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
of each browse to no avail.

I have been messing around with this for awhile, and now I would really
like to use the idea. I have temporarily created entries from the FRAME
menu for each browse, but this is really not the convention I had in
mind for the program.

Any suggestions?

--
Wayne Joyner, ECNE
Joyner Communications

==================================
Providing Professional Networking
and Programming since 1982.
==================================

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Wayne:

What do you mean by "This never seems to work correctly."  Please
elaborate!

Thanh C. Huynh
Discovery Enterprises

Quote:

> I have tried on several occasions to set up a screen (Browse) with
> multiple TABS, each having a seperate browse. For example one tab may
> list the employee by last name (with the last name in the first column.)
> Next I add a TAB to the PROPERTY sheet and create another browse to list
> the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
> seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
> to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
> of each browse to no avail.

> I have been messing around with this for awhile, and now I would really
> like to use the idea. I have temporarily created entries from the FRAME
> menu for each browse, but this is really not the convention I had in
> mind for the program.

> Any suggestions?

> --
> Wayne Joyner, ECNE
> Joyner Communications
> Omaha, NE

> ==================================
> Providing Professional Networking
> and Programming since 1982.
> ==================================

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Quote:

> Wayne:

> What do you mean by "This never seems to work correctly."  Please
> elaborate!

> Thanh C. Huynh
> Discovery Enterprises

Dear Tanh,

Have a look at your CW200x Help file and look for 'How to display the
sort field first on a Multi-Key Browse'.
That should get you started!

Kind regards

Arno Rog
Amsterdam

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Hi Wayne,
One of the examples in the Help discusses a way to do this. If you are
using separate browses on the same file you're bound to run into
problems. Check this reference in the CW help:How to Display the Sort
Field First on a Multi-Key Browse

hth
--
Jim Katz
CTO CycleMart.com

Using Clarion for Windows
Always looking for the simpler solution.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

        If the browse shows all the same info, just sorted and displayed
differently, I have just one browse displayed on the window(not one for
every tab). Then I select the browse, goto the actions tab, then conditional
behavior. Then I set up the different conditions. like this:

        CHOICE(?Sheet1)=2 - PRE:Key
        CHOICE(?Sheet1)=3 - PRE:Key

        This changes the key used for the sort based on which tab you are
on. HTH.

Quote:
>I have tried on several occasions to set up a screen (Browse) with
>multiple TABS, each having a seperate browse. For example one tab may
>list the employee by last name (with the last name in the first column.)
>Next I add a TAB to the PROPERTY sheet and create another browse to list
>the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
>seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
>to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
>of each browse to no avail.

>I have been messing around with this for awhile, and now I would really
>like to use the idea. I have temporarily created entries from the FRAME
>menu for each browse, but this is really not the convention I had in
>mind for the program.

>Any suggestions?

>--
>Wayne Joyner, ECNE

 Larry Hotchkiss.

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Hi Wayne,

Under Help there is a section entitled "How to Display the Sort Field
First on a Multi-Key Browse". There is an in-depth discussion of the
use of the FORMAT() function in list boxes. See paragraph 6 for an
overview of the desired result. There is an easier way, however, than
following paragraphs 1-5 in order to get to 6. Let the templates do
the work for you:

Just set up a single browse box in each of the formats you want to
display when clicking from tab to tab. Each time you set it up (what
is in column 1, etc.), generate source and then go to that source and
copy the FORMAT(.............) portion of the list box in the window
definition. Then just use these as suggested in paragraph 6 with
PROP:Format. Of course, you will also want to do the usual conditional
setup regarding which key, filter, etc. to use for each tab.

HTH

John

----------

Sent:  Monday, March 31, 1997 10:20 PM
To:  LISTSERVER
Subject:  Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

> [...]

> >the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
> >seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
> >to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
> >of each browse to no avail.

> >I have been messing around with this for awhile, and now I would really
> >like to use the idea. I have temporarily created entries from the FRAME
> >menu for each browse, but this is really not the convention I had in
> >mind for the program.

> >Any suggestions?

> Yes, take the easy way out and let Powerbrowse do the work for you.
> It supports this feature directly by letting you set up alternate list
> box formats for each tab.  The template simply builds a queue of list
> box formats and swaps them as you switch tabs.  It also switches the
> locater.  Contact Toolcraft for more info...

When you let appication generator build a browse procedure for a file with
multiple keys, it create what you are looking for. The secret is that it
embeds source code into the browse template to change the key properties
(in this case) when a tab is chosen.

I this gives you some ideas, if don't want to resort to an additional
template.

  | Gavin Glynn               | It's better to be dead and cool   | /--\ |
  | James Cook University     | than alive and uncool !           | |GG| |
  | Townsville, QLD Australia |                   Harley Davidson | \--/ |

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Quote:

>I have tried on several occasions to set up a screen (Browse) with
>multiple TABS, each having a seperate browse. For example one tab may
>list the employee by last name (with the last name in the first column.)
>Next I add a TAB to the PROPERTY sheet and create another browse to list
>the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
>seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
>to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
>of each browse to no avail.
>I have been messing around with this for awhile, and now I would really
>like to use the idea. I have temporarily created entries from the FRAME
>menu for each browse, but this is really not the convention I had in
>mind for the program.
>Any suggestions?

Yes, take the easy way out and let Powerbrowse do the work for you.
It supports this feature directly by letting you set up alternate list
box formats for each tab.  The template simply builds a queue of list
box formats and swaps them as you switch tabs.  It also switches the
locater.  Contact Toolcraft for more info...

Quote:
>--
>Wayne Joyner, ECNE
>Joyner Communications
>Omaha, NE

>==================================
>Providing Professional Networking
>and Programming since 1982.
>==================================

Steve Lewis
Aphelion Software

Steve Lewis
Aphelion Software

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen

Your problem is that you are adding new browses to the tab - don't do
this.  You only need one browse per data file - not one browse per key.
Right Click on the browse and look at ACTIONS.  The conditional tab on
the actions is where you can specify what sort order to display on the
browse when a particular tab is selected.  The code that is used to do
this is CHOICE(?Sheet) = 3  which says when the third tab on the sheet
structure called ?Sheet is pressed, sort and filter the browse using the
information you have entered on the condition.  Keep at it - works like
a champ.  If you are still stuck, let CW geenrate an app for a data file
that has several keys.  Go in and look at the conditional statements for
the browse and see how its done.  NOTICE that only one browse structure
is required.  You don't need anything special to do this IT'S EASY !!

Quote:

> >I have tried on several occasions to set up a screen (Browse) with
> >multiple TABS, each having a seperate browse. For example one tab may
> >list the employee by last name (with the last name in the first column.)
> >Next I add a TAB to the PROPERTY sheet and create another browse to list
> >the employee by department (Department name in first column.) This never
> >seems to work correctly. Any ideas why not or what I may be doing wrong
> >to get this to work? I have tried conditional statements in the ACTIONS
> >of each browse to no avail.

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Multiple Browses on TAB'ed Browse Screen -Reply

2. Browse with multiple tabs

3. different filters on one browse or multiple browse windows in one main window

4. No title in Browse, Browse doesn't remain

5. I can't get 2 browses on same screen to synch

6. Update browse on tab selection.

7. Return to same Tab in Browse

8. Sheet with two rows of tabs, how to resize browse

9. Multi-tabbed browse question

10. Browse -- Tab -- Total

11. More tabs on browse box at runtime

12. Adding tabs to a browse in runtime