Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000
Author Message
 Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000

Hi All,

I have a friend who is doing some development work in Clarion and wants to
be able to use an SQL backend in his efforts.  On more than one occassion,
he has had Clarion crash a few times in the testing cycle and has had to
restart the program.  After this has happened a few times (more than two,
less than ten), he can not get Clarion to restart.  At this point, he must
re-install Clarion on the system.  He thought that it might be specific to
5.5 Beta 2, but he tried 5.0 and 4.x with similar effects.

I don't develop in 2000 and I have read articles by Andrew Guitroz about his
success in running his applications on 2000.  He doesn't say if he develops
in the environment, though.  Is anyone successfully developiong on a 2000
platform?  And if so, are there any tricks that need to be done?

Thanks, in advance...

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000
Hi there,

Try the following, basically it should stabilize your WIN2K.

In answer to my own question, amending HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesmask does solve the GPF in WOW32.dll and like
the article says it does kill the tool tips on the minimize, maximize and
close boxes.

The article refers to Windows 98 and gave a set of changes to be made to the
first hex character: (e to 6, a to 2, c to 4, b to 3 and 8 to 0) but my (Win
2k) value was 9e 3e 00 80. I changed this to 1e 3e 00 80 and all is now well
in the WOW32.dll department. The value change would seem to be making the
high order bit zero so I tried it and it worked.

So maybe the article should say:

If the first character is:
    8 make it 0
    9 make it 1
    a make it 2
    b make it 3
    c make it 4
    d make it 5
    e make it 6
    f make it 7

In my case, 9e 3e 00 80 becomes 1e 3e 00 80.

Make sure you can recover your registry if the change doesn't work!!!

Sed Mayne
Redman House

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE
10:15pm 14/08/2000

Quote:
> Hi All,

> I have a friend who is doing some development work in Clarion and wants to
> be able to use an SQL backend in his efforts.  On more than one occassion,
> he has had Clarion crash a few times in the testing cycle and has had to
> restart the program.  After this has happened a few times (more than two,
> less than ten), he can not get Clarion to restart.  At this point, he must
> re-install Clarion on the system.  He thought that it might be specific to
> 5.5 Beta 2, but he tried 5.0 and 4.x with similar effects.

> I don't develop in 2000 and I have read articles by Andrew Guitroz about
his
> success in running his applications on 2000.  He doesn't say if he
develops
> in the environment, though.  Is anyone successfully developiong on a 2000
> platform?  And if so, are there any tricks that need to be done?

> Thanks, in advance...

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000

Quote:

> Is anyone successfully developiong on a 2000
> platform?

Yes.

Quote:
> And if so, are there any tricks that need to be done?

Avoid hovering your mouse pointer over the min/max/close box or make a
registry change that I havent felt is worth making.

Set the shortcut to start CW in its own address space.

Otherwise, its no different than anywhere else (stronger, faster
notwithstanding).

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography studios
and non-profit organizations

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows and Windows 2000
I see this on occasion.  Try emptying the temp files before restarting
clarion when it won't start.

joe

Quote:
> Hi All,

> I have a friend who is doing some development work in Clarion and wants to
> be able to use an SQL backend in his efforts.  On more than one occassion,
> he has had Clarion crash a few times in the testing cycle and has had to
> restart the program.  After this has happened a few times (more than two,
> less than ten), he can not get Clarion to restart.  At this point, he must
> re-install Clarion on the system.  He thought that it might be specific to
> 5.5 Beta 2, but he tried 5.0 and 4.x with similar effects.

> I don't develop in 2000 and I have read articles by Andrew Guitroz about
his
> success in running his applications on 2000.  He doesn't say if he
develops
> in the environment, though.  Is anyone successfully developiong on a 2000
> platform?  And if so, are there any tricks that need to be done?

> Thanks, in advance...

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 10:57:51 GMT

1. Clarion on Windows 2000

2. Clarion on Windows 2000 & IIS 5

3. Clarion 5.5 on windows 2000 IIS5

4. Windows 2000 server IIS5 and Clarion 5.5

5. Windows 2000 & Clarion 5

6. Clarion not compatible with Windows 2000

7. clarion 5b in windows 2000

8. Question Windows NT / 2000 / ME & Clarion

9. Problem entering Clarion DOS application under Windows 2000

10. Clarion 5.5 with Windows 2000 Server

11. About clarion 5.0 Enterprise edition and Windows 2000 Professional

12. problem running Clarion 5 on windows 2000