FAT32-FAT16
Author Message
 FAT32-FAT16

I have been away from Clarion programming appx. 2 years. I developed most of
S/W with FAT16. Several of my past customers now want to do some upgrading,
and desire to move to a FAT32 or NTFS file structure. Principally because
they are needing large (32Gig) HDD support.  Some are keeping older HDD with
the FAT16 stuff on their servers, supposedly creating havoc for their system
engineers. I realize that is bunk, (they are not the only system engineers
out there), but I sure don't like being blamed  on a recurring basis.  Is
this a big problem?  I know the way around the problems from a systems
standpoint, but it still doesn't help my argument.  I cannot be on-site when
the problems that bring down their servers occur. They never take the blame
for their own gateway, IP routing, addressing, TCP/IP problems, etc. I used
Clarion 5.0 to create TPS files in FAT16 previously, now I have no choice
but convert.  I haven't seen any documentation or gone too far into what the
5.5 supports, etc.  This question may require too much in the way of an
answer, therefore if you could just send me a link or refer me to a site I'd
appreciate the information.

This may be a real no brainer for most of you, and I can appreciate that,
however I used Clarion for several years and found the NG's were the only
places where the answers were.  Clarion sure didn't have them.  That may
have all changed by now, and I hope that is the case.  I have not seen a
recent book written on Clarion for some time now.

Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:43:07 GMT
 FAT32-FAT16
Clarion, and Clarion built applications do not notice how they are stored on
disk.  Nothing will change with the conversion.  I think the same could be
said of all the other applications and documents stored at your customer
site.

IOW - Nothing will change.

--
Russell B. Eggen
SoftVelocity, Inc.

[...]

Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:08:28 GMT
 FAT32-FAT16
I have 2 physical drives, one fat16 which I use for dos programs and the other
larger drive divided into multiple drives of which the boot drive (c) is fat 16,
the rest are fat 32. I have been using clarion C5pb apps on the boot and also a
fat32 drive without problems.
David
Quote:

> I have been away from Clarion programming appx. 2 years. I developed most of
> S/W with FAT16. Several of my past customers now want to do some upgrading,
> and desire to move to a FAT32 or NTFS file structure. Principally because
> they are needing large (32Gig) HDD support.  Some are keeping older HDD with
> the FAT16 stuff on their servers, supposedly creating havoc for their system
> engineers. I realize that is bunk, (they are not the only system engineers
> out there), but I sure don't like being blamed  on a recurring basis.  Is
> this a big problem?  I know the way around the problems from a systems
> standpoint, but it still doesn't help my argument.  I cannot be on-site when
> the problems that bring down their servers occur. They never take the blame
> for their own gateway, IP routing, addressing, TCP/IP problems, etc. I used
> Clarion 5.0 to create TPS files in FAT16 previously, now I have no choice
> but convert.  I haven't seen any documentation or gone too far into what the
> 5.5 supports, etc.  This question may require too much in the way of an
> answer, therefore if you could just send me a link or refer me to a site I'd
> appreciate the information.

> This may be a real no brainer for most of you, and I can appreciate that,
> however I used Clarion for several years and found the NG's were the only
> places where the answers were.  Clarion sure didn't have them.  That may
> have all changed by now, and I hope that is the case.  I have not seen a
> recent book written on Clarion for some time now.

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:51:18 GMT

1. CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003

2. How To distinguish FAT16 and FAT32

3. HELP with DOS/win95 FAT16, FAT32 file systems!!

4. more troubles with FAT16 reading routines

5. FAT12 and FAT16

6. FAT16: root dir - one more question

7. FAT16: root directory

8. need quick help regarding FAT16 clusters

9. Help with FAT16 Filesystem

10. more troubles with FAT16 reading routines