Report Writer 2: Problem with Multiple Detail Bands
Author Message
 Report Writer 2: Problem with Multiple Detail Bands

I am trying to create a report that draws data from two different databases
(called "events" and "todos").  The two Dbs are not related (one is not the
parent of the other).  I have put the fields I want from one database in one
detail band and the fields from the other Db in another detail band on the
same report.  Problem:  CRW keeps repeating several of the records,
sometimes hundreds of times.

The idea of a report engine that insulates the user from actual code is fine
if it works.  However, when you start seeing results that you know are
ridculous you want to see the code so you can debug.  There seems to be no
way to get at the actual code in CRW.

I tried to get help at $2.50 a minute from Clarion's people and even emailed
a copy of my report and database to them, but they haven't done a damn
thing.

Any suggestions?

Gray

Wed, 10 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Report Writer 2: Problem with Multiple Detail Bands

Quote:
> I am trying to create a report that draws data from two different databases
> (called "events" and "todos").  The two Dbs are not related (one is not the
> parent of the other).  I have put the fields I want from one database in one
> detail band and the fields from the other Db in another detail band on the
> same report.  Problem:  CRW keeps repeating several of the records,
> sometimes hundreds of times.

Gray, if this was a Report procedure it would be much easier to solve the
problem.  The RW is difficult to use for a programmer.  It is next to impossible
for the end-user to use.  Any time I sold one of these products, I usually wound
up writing the report for them.  It hasn't made any difference whether it was a
DOS or Windows product.  It is over the heads of my clients.

The fact that the two databases are unrelated only adds to your frustration.
There needs to be some way to relate or restrict the files so they won't provide
the wrong results.  My thought is that it might go something like this:

For every record in file1 print a detail1 band.
If there is some level of relationship to file2, print its matching record(s) in
detail2 band.

If this is the correct logic, then  you might try using a detail band condition
so the second detail band won't print everytime the first one does unless the
condition is met.  I really think if you don't have a good file relationship you
will find it very hard to achieve in Clarion's RW.  It just doesn't have the
capabilities found in Crystal Reports, etc.

The best way to achieve your desired results is to use a Report procedure within
CW.

Fri, 12 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Report Writer and Multiple Detail Bands

2. multiple detail band in report writer

3. Multiple detail bands in report question

4. HURRY - CW4 external Report Writer (TXR) and 2 detail on 1 report

5. Multiple Detail Bands

6. Blank lines in Report (Detail Band)

7. Report with 2 Detail bands

8. Report-Detail Band

9. Report - Detail Band

10. Detail band vs Form band

11. Reporting - Lost Headers and Detail bands

12. Enabling detail band of report