ODBC DLLs not found
Author Message
 ODBC DLLs not found

Hello,

I wanted to add ODBC support to a product and managed to do so
relatively easily.  The problem is:  what if the user doesn't want to
use ODBC?  All they have to do is specify this in the program setup, but
they now require the ODBC DLLs (above and beyond the Topspeed one) as
the program looks for them at startup.

I don't mind getting the "DLL not found" or some such message when a
user tries to use the ODBC stuff when it isn't there, but its a pain to
require it for all users.

Is there a way of relaxing the check for the ODBC (and/or related) DLLs
until the code for ODBC is actually required?  I'd hate to have to build
two versions of the executable or require that customers obtain ODBC
support when they don't use it.  Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Rob Lyte

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC DLLs not found

Quote:

> Is there a way of relaxing the check for the ODBC (and/or related) DLLs
> until the code for ODBC is actually required?  I'd hate to have to build
> two versions of the executable or require that customers obtain ODBC
> support when they don't use it.  Any ideas or comments are welcome.

This doesn't help you now, but in C4 (not B2) the ODBC driver does late
binding to the ODBC sub-system, so your program would work as you want it
to.

SuRF Down Under
(TopSpeed R&D)

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC DLLs not found

    Can we get this "late binding" to work on any of the DLLs we create
ourselves?  That way, we could only ship the DLLs to a user that he will
actually use.

Quote:

> > Is there a way of relaxing the check for the ODBC (and/or related) DLLs
> > until the code for ODBC is actually required?  I'd hate to have to build
> > two versions of the executable or require that customers obtain ODBC
> > support when they don't use it.  Any ideas or comments are welcome.

> This doesn't help you now, but in C4 (not B2) the ODBC driver does late
> binding to the ODBC sub-system, so your program would work as you want it
> to.

> SuRF Down Under
> (TopSpeed R&D)

Mon, 20 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC DLLs not found

Quote:
>     Can we get this "late binding" to work on any of the DLLs we create
> ourselves?  That way, we could only ship the DLLs to a user that he will
> actually use.

I second that!

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC DLLs not found

Quote:

> This doesn't help you now, but in C4 (not B2) the ODBC driver does late
> binding to the ODBC sub-system, so your program would work as you want it
> to.

> SuRF Down Under
> (TopSpeed R&D)

Ah, thats good to know.  It feels better to know that there is something
that I can do (if not immediately anyway).  Thanks for the information.

Rob Lyte

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC DLLs not found

Quote:

> Can we get this "late binding" to work on any of the DLLs we create
> ourselves?  That way, we could only ship the DLLs to a user that he will
> actually use.

Yes.  Use CALL().

I must admit that it is easier in C as there are function pointers and you
can cast anything to these.  It means that if you make a mistake you
seriously{*filter*}up the system.  CALL is safer, but not as flexible.

SuRF Down Under
(TopSpeed R&D)

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB program can find VF 5 DLL but not equivalent VF 6.1 DLL

2. ODBC.DLL cannot be found

3. Where do I find odbc.dll

4. "[Topspeed ODBC]Table not found (#25)"

5. ODBC to Oracle (data source name not found)

6. odbc.dll could not be loaded

7. ODBC.DLL could not be loaded.

8. Error ODBC.DLL could not be loaded (1)

9. CW2DOS32.DLL NOT FOUND

10. Dependent DLL's not found

11. C4RUN.DLL NOT FOUND

12. Function not found in DLL