Converting Topspeed to Access
Author Message
 Converting Topspeed to Access

I am trying to write a conversion program.  I am developing in Visual
C++.  I have data files from an old product.  The files are .tps
(Topspeed) files.  I am trying to access the files so that I can
convert them to Microsoft Access.  I have been looking for information
on the data structure of a Topspeed file.  I have not been able to find
any information on the Topspeed files.  I have found information on the
Clarion file structure but not the Topspeed file structure.  I was
wondering if anyone knows where I could find this information.  If this
information is not available, I was wondering what suggestion anyone
would have to convert these files.  In talking with various people
about the subject, some have suggested your Topspeed ODBC driver.
Would that be the only thing that I need or do I need Clarion also for
that to work?  Others said to use Clarion to make a conversion
program.  I would like an another opinion on this.  Would someone
please help me!!!!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

TJ,
The format of the Topspeed files are proprietary information and have not
yet been released.  Doubtful that they ever will since Topspeed (and now
company SoftVelocity) apparently regards the format as a 'competitive
advantage' (makes you want to laugh, doesn't it?)

If you would like to convert the file you can obtain a copy of Clarion or
you could contract someone like me to do the conversion for you.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> I am trying to write a conversion program.  I am developing in Visual
> C++.  I have data files from an old product.  The files are .tps
> (Topspeed) files.  I am trying to access the files so that I can
> convert them to Microsoft Access.  I have been looking for information
> on the data structure of a Topspeed file.  I have not been able to find
> any information on the Topspeed files.  I have found information on the
> Clarion file structure but not the Topspeed file structure.  I was
> wondering if anyone knows where I could find this information.  If this
> information is not available, I was wondering what suggestion anyone
> would have to convert these files.  In talking with various people
> about the subject, some have suggested your Topspeed ODBC driver.
> Would that be the only thing that I need or do I need Clarion also for
> that to work?  Others said to use Clarion to make a conversion
> program.  I would like an another opinion on this.  Would someone
> please help me!!!!!!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
If you purchase the Topspeed ODBC driver that should be all you need to
read the files into an Access table.
        Tim
Quote:

> I am trying to write a conversion program.  I am developing in Visual
> C++.  I have data files from an old product.  The files are .tps
> (Topspeed) files.  I am trying to access the files so that I can
> convert them to Microsoft Access.  I have been looking for information
> on the data structure of a Topspeed file.  I have not been able to find
> any information on the Topspeed files.  I have found information on the
> Clarion file structure but not the Topspeed file structure.  I was
> wondering if anyone knows where I could find this information.  If this
> information is not available, I was wondering what suggestion anyone
> would have to convert these files.  In talking with various people
> about the subject, some have suggested your Topspeed ODBC driver.
> Would that be the only thing that I need or do I need Clarion also for
> that to work?  Others said to use Clarion to make a conversion
> program.  I would like an another opinion on this.  Would someone
> please help me!!!!!!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
Tim

Assuming they are not encrypted

John Verbeeten
Tracker Software Products Ltd
www.docu-track.com
Publishers of DocuTrack
Document Archiving and Management
                The easy way!

> If you purchase the Topspeed ODBC driver that should be all you need to
> read the files into an Access table.
>         Tim

> > I am trying to write a conversion program.  I am developing in Visual
> > C++.  I have data files from an old product.  The files are .tps
> > (Topspeed) files.  I am trying to access the files so that I can
> > convert them to Microsoft Access.  I have been looking for information
> > on the data structure of a Topspeed file.  I have not been able to find
> > any information on the Topspeed files.  I have found information on the
> > Clarion file structure but not the Topspeed file structure.  I was
> > wondering if anyone knows where I could find this information.  If this
> > information is not available, I was wondering what suggestion anyone
> > would have to convert these files.  In talking with various people
> > about the subject, some have suggested your Topspeed ODBC driver.
> > Would that be the only thing that I need or do I need Clarion also for
> > that to work?  Others said to use Clarion to make a conversion
> > program.  I would like an another opinion on this.  Would someone
> > please help me!!!!!!

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
Use the Topspeed ODBC drivers.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
Purchasing the Topspeed ODBC driver woudl not a good choice if he only
needed to do a one time conversion of the data.

The best bet would be for him to have someone do the conversion for him.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> Tim

> Assuming they are not encrypted

> John Verbeeten
> Tracker Software Products Ltd
> www.docu-track.com
> Publishers of DocuTrack
> Document Archiving and Management
>                 The easy way!

> > If you purchase the Topspeed ODBC driver that should be all you need to
> > read the files into an Access table.
> >         Tim

> > > I am trying to write a conversion program.  I am developing in Visual
> > > C++.  I have data files from an old product.  The files are .tps
> > > (Topspeed) files.  I am trying to access the files so that I can
> > > convert them to Microsoft Access.  I have been looking for information
> > > on the data structure of a Topspeed file.  I have not been able to
find
> > > any information on the Topspeed files.  I have found information on
the
> > > Clarion file structure but not the Topspeed file structure.  I was
> > > wondering if anyone knows where I could find this information.  If
this
> > > information is not available, I was wondering what suggestion anyone
> > > would have to convert these files.  In talking with various people
> > > about the subject, some have suggested your Topspeed ODBC driver.
> > > Would that be the only thing that I need or do I need Clarion also for
> > > that to work?  Others said to use Clarion to make a conversion
> > > program.  I would like an another opinion on this.  Would someone
> > > please help me!!!!!!

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
I wish it was a joke!  We did it before by reading in the binary for
regular Clarion files but never Topspeed.  There is no documentation
for the file format like there is for Clarion.

> TJ
thing
> I can
this
> task is

> I am developing in Visual
are
> .tps
can
information
able
> to find
information
> on the
> was
information.&nbsp;
> If this
anyone
people
> for
conversion
Would
> someone

href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

Quote:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
We have done the conversion from Clarion files to Access by reading the
file in binary.  There is documentation for the file format.  There is
no documentation for the Topspeed file format.  That is my main
problem!  If you know where any is it would be great.  I cannot figure
it out by just using a hex editor.

Quote:
> Purchasing the Topspeed ODBC driver woudl not a good choice if he only
> needed to do a one time conversion of the data.

> The best bet would be for him to have someone do the conversion for
him.

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

> > Tim

> > Assuming they are not encrypted

> > John Verbeeten
> > Tracker Software Products Ltd
> > www.docu-track.com
> > Publishers of DocuTrack
> > Document Archiving and Management
> >                 The easy way!

> > > If you purchase the Topspeed ODBC driver that should be all you
need to
> > > read the files into an Access table.
> > >         Tim

Visual
> find
> the
If
> this

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
This is not a new program I am writing.  I just am trying to convert
data from a program that discontinued into our existing format.  The
format is Access so that is what I am trying to change it to.  Problem
is I don't have Clarion.  It is pretty expensive to use just to make a
conversion program.  Thats why I was looking for file format info or
anything easy to convert it.  Thanks for the help!

> TJ;
Access
> when
that
> prints to

reading
> in the binary for
documentation

transitional//en">
> only
assigned
> you

program.&amp;nbsp;
product.&amp;nbsp;
> The files
files
> so that I
looking
> for
have
> not been
found

structure.&amp;nbsp;

suggestion
with
> various
> driver.
Clarion
> also
make
this.&amp;nbsp;

href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>&lt;/a>
Quote:

href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

Quote:

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
TJ,
Once again, I would be willing to convert the data for you.

Send me an email.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC

Quote:
> This is not a new program I am writing.  I just am trying to convert
> data from a program that discontinued into our existing format.  The
> format is Access so that is what I am trying to change it to.  Problem
> is I don't have Clarion.  It is pretty expensive to use just to make a
> conversion program.  Thats why I was looking for file format info or
> anything easy to convert it.  Thanks for the help!

> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
> > TJ;
> Access
> > when
> that
> > prints to

> reading
> > in the binary for
> documentation

> transitional//en">
> > only
> assigned
> > you

> program.&amp;nbsp;
> product.&amp;nbsp;
> > The files
> files
> > so that I
> looking
> > for
> have
> > not been
> found
> structure.&amp;nbsp;
> suggestion
> with
> > various
> > driver.
> Clarion
> > also
> make
> this.&amp;nbsp;
> href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>&lt;/a>
> href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
So you could right a C++ function to do the conversion?

Quote:
> TJ,
> Once again, I would be willing to convert the data for you.

> Send me an email.

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC

> > This is not a new program I am writing.  I just am trying to convert
> > data from a program that discontinued into our existing format.  The
> > format is Access so that is what I am trying to change it to.
Problem
> > is I don't have Clarion.  It is pretty expensive to use just to
make a
> > conversion program.  Thats why I was looking for file format info or
> > anything easy to convert it.  Thanks for the help!

> > > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
> > > TJ;
using
> > Access
> > > when
report
> > that
> > > prints to

before by
> > reading
> > > in the binary for
> > documentation

> > transitional//en">
situation... the
> > > only
> > assigned
> > > you

> > program.&amp;nbsp;
> > product.&amp;nbsp;
> > > The files
> > files
> > > so that I
been
> > looking
> > > for
> > have
> > > not been
have
> > found
> > structure.&amp;nbsp;
> > suggestion
talking
> > with
> > > various
ODBC

href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>"><a

> > href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>&lt;/a>
> > href="http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</a>

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
Hi TJ,

It should be possible to write a dll in clarion which you can call from your
C++ app.
HTH

--
Leonid Chudakov

Cool tools and {*filter*} Clarion examples at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> So you could right a C++ function to do the conversion?

> > TJ,
> > Once again, I would be willing to convert the data for you.

> > Send me an email.

> > Ben E. Brady
> > Brady & Associates, LLC

> > > This is not a new program I am writing.  I just am trying to convert
> > > data from a program that discontinued into our existing format.  The
> > > format is Access so that is what I am trying to change it to.
> Problem
> > > is I don't have Clarion.  It is pretty expensive to use just to
> make a
> > > conversion program.  Thats why I was looking for file format info or
> > > anything easy to convert it.  Thanks for the help!

> using
> > > Access
> report
> > > that

> before by
> > > reading
> > > documentation

> > > transitional//en">
> situation... the
> > > assigned

> > > program.&amp;nbsp;
> > > product.&amp;nbsp;
> > > files
> been
> > > looking
> > > have
> have
> > > found
> > > structure.&amp;nbsp;
> > > suggestion
> talking
> > > with
> ODBC
> > > Clarion
> > > make
> > > this.&amp;nbsp;
> href=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;/a>"><a
> > > href=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;/a>&lt;/a>
> > > href=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;/a>

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting Topspeed to Access
So you would suggest buying Clarion.  If I had Clarion it knows about
Topspeed so I would not need the driver.  right?  To do this will
Clarion Pro work or is the Enterprise edition need?

Thank you all for the help!!!!

Quote:
> Hi TJ,

> It should be possible to write a dll in clarion which you can call
from your
> C++ app.
> HTH

> --
> Leonid Chudakov

> Cool tools and {*filter*} Clarion examples at
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > So you could right a C++ function to do the conversion?

> > > TJ,
> > > Once again, I would be willing to convert the data for you.

> > > Send me an email.

> > > Ben E. Brady
> > > Brady & Associates, LLC

> > Problem
> > make a

> > using
> > report

> > before by

> > situation... the

> > been
file.&amp;nbsp; I
> > have
> > talking
Topspeed
> > ODBC
Clarion to
> > href=" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;/a>"><a

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Q: reading/converting topspeed files?

2. Converting TopSpeed Data to DBASE

3. Converting a File from Clarion to Topspeed

4. Convert FoxPro Data File To Topspeed Problem

5. Convert Existing Program (Topspeed Driver) to MS SQL Drivers

6. Converting Topspeed tables to another format

7. Topspeed - CW2003 File Convert gets File Not Found

8. Convert app from Topspeed files to MSSQL

9. Converting CPD files to TopSpeed

10. Convert Dbase to Topspeed

11. Converting dBase4 memo fields to TopSpeed format

12. Converting topspeed->Dbase III/IV