Virus alert
Author Message
 Virus alert

Please pass this message on to anyone who has access to the Internet.
A very popular and desirable screen saver is being sent out known as A
Bug's
Life
or BUGGLST.ZIP.  If you download it, you will lose everything!!!
Your hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your
screen
name and password! DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
It began to be circulated yesterday, as far as we know.
This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it.
This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft.

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus alert
The virus is actually the email message.  It's intent is to use scare
tactics as a means of clogging email servers with useless mail.

Cheers
Owen Brunker

Quote:

> Please pass this message on to anyone who has access to the Internet.
> A very popular and desirable screen saver is being sent out known as A
> Bug's
> Life
> or BUGGLST.ZIP.  If you download it, you will lose everything!!!
> Your hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your
> screen
> name and password! DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
> It began to be circulated yesterday, as far as we know.
> This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it.
> This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft.

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus alert
Some point's on hoax virus alerts:

    1) Ambiguous times (Most hoaxes say something like "will strike next
week," without ever stating which week).

    2) No "Official" references. Any "real" alert I've ever seen has had
references to the web sites that track this sort of thing.

    3) To my knowledge, there is no known virus spread by email alone:
They all required you to run their program. Note: Virus' like Melissa are
written in Word Basic, which is, surprise!, a program language that Word
runs. In that case, opening the document runs the program.

    4) I don't know about you, but of all the "real" virus' I've heard
about (new ones anyway!), for me 100% of them made the news media before
they made the "warning lists"...

    Just my two scents...

    Regards,

    kurtt

    Kurt Pawlikowski
    The Pinrod Corporation

    (773) 284-9500
    http://pinrod.com

Quote:

> Please pass this message on to anyone who has access to the Internet.
> A very popular and desirable screen saver is being sent out known as A
> Bug's
> Life
> or BUGGLST.ZIP.  If you download it, you will lose everything!!!
> Your hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your
> screen
> name and password! DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
> It began to be circulated yesterday, as far as we know.
> This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it.
> This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft.

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus alert
Hi Andr!

Sorry, but this virus has already been reported to be a HOAX on the
mcafee.com virusscan website.

I have copied the original HOAX message after my sig. Look familiar?

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) in Win95
CPD 2.1 / CDD 3.x / C5EE&IC
CPCS CCS CLACom WinEvent CWA
JANUS/Ada 83 95 CLAW
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS...."
Bugslife Screensaver Hoax
NAI Labs AVERT would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

This email message is just a HOAX, currently we have received no
reports of anyone receiving this message nor any damaged being caused.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT
pass it on, as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

-Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via
email-

Someone is sending out a very desirable screen-saver, a Bug's Life -
"BUGGLST.ZIP". If you download it, you will lose everything!!! Your
harddrive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your screen
name and password!

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

IT JUST WENT INTO circulation yesterday, as far as we know. Please
distribute/inform this message. This is a new, very malicious virus and
not many people know about it.

This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please
share it with everyone that might access the Internet. Also do not open
or even look at any mail that says "RETURNED" OR "UNABLE TO DELIVER".
This virus will attach itself to your computer components and render
them useless. Immediately delete mail items that say this.AOL has said
that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy for it
at this time.

-This is the end of the email message -

Again, if you receive this email delete it and DO NOT pass it on.

AVERT
A Division of NAI Labs

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus alert
Ditto.

It's not the download. But the execution that causes damage.  Melissa is no
different, the execution of Word is its fuel to cause damage.
The only known threats that bother me or those damn java applets or activex
controls that can be sent on a web page.
Of course, IE5 will warn you if you want these types of programs not to run.

My extra two cents worth...

Doug

Quote:

>     3) To my knowledge, there is no known virus spread by email alone:
> They all required you to run their program. Note: Virus' like Melissa are
> written in Word Basic, which is, surprise!, a program language that Word
> runs. In that case, opening the document runs the program.

>     4) I don't know about you, but of all the "real" virus' I've heard
> about (new ones anyway!), for me 100% of them made the news media before
> they made the "warning lists"...

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Virus alert
As an aside, wouldn't that be a very risky thing for a web master to do? I
mean the evidence would be there for all to find trace, jail time would
probably be immanent!

Mick

Quote:
> Ditto.

> It's not the download. But the execution that causes damage.  Melissa is
no
> different, the execution of Word is its fuel to cause damage.
> The only known threats that bother me or those damn java applets or
activex
> controls that can be sent on a web page.
> Of course, IE5 will warn you if you want these types of programs not to
run.

> My extra two cents worth...

> Doug

> >     3) To my knowledge, there is no known virus spread by email alone:
> > They all required you to run their program. Note: Virus' like Melissa
are
> > written in Word Basic, which is, surprise!, a program language that Word
> > runs. In that case, opening the document runs the program.

> >     4) I don't know about you, but of all the "real" virus' I've heard
> > about (new ones anyway!), for me 100% of them made the news media before
> > they made the "warning lists"...

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Product Support Services - Moderate Security Alert - Virus Alert: Klez-E

2. EMAIL VIRUS ALERT

3. Virus Alert

4. Virus alert - I just got 3 mails w/ this, norton caught it

5. OT: VIRUS ALERT!

6. Virus Alert: Unwarrented?

7. Very Funny.vbs Virus Alert

8. FREE Virus Alert Newsletter

9. Bogus Virus Alert

10. Virus Alert - RE: Soak rice stick noodles in hot water

11. FREE Virus Alert Newsletter