Okay, I'm stumped.
Author Message
 Okay, I'm stumped.

I've been playing with fonts to try and put some special characters
into an application for a client.  Since the characters I need can
replace some foreign language characters in the default font set, I
used fontographer to create a new font set with just those characters.
The font is to be used for adding special characters to the end of a
string entry field.  Since, controls cannot contain more than one
font, I have to recreate the entire font file and add the special
charcters.  I tried just using the special characters as the font, but
the the other text characters come up as blanks.  Can anyone point me
in the direction of what I might be doing wrong?

Also, why is it that only the windows default font sets (serif, san
serif, etc.) seem to display clearly when creating clarion apps?  I
realize they are bitmap fonts instead of truetype, but I have created
bitmaps of my new font sets and they still don't show as well.  My
preference would be to create special characters that match the MS San
Serif style.

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Okay, I'm stumped.

Hi Jeff,

Quote:

>I've been playing with fonts to try and put some special characters
>into an application for a client.  Since the characters I need can
>replace some foreign language characters in the default font set, I
>used fontographer to create a new font set with just those characters.
>The font is to be used for adding special characters to the end of a
>string entry field.  Since, controls cannot contain more than one
>font, I have to recreate the entire font file and add the special
>charcters.  I tried just using the special characters as the font, but
>the the other text characters come up as blanks.  Can anyone point me

What program are you using designing your fonts?  If you take a font
file and just change the characters you want to change, it should be
ok.  If you design a new font you have to design them all.  Normally
undefined characters have a big box instead of a character.  I'm not
sure if Windows takes care of that or if it's just a standard
procedure for empty characters.

I seem to recall that when designing fonts you need to set it to a
certain size (72 or 720 points - 1" or 10") but font design is not a
trivial thing to do;)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Okay, I'm stumped.

Quote:

>I've been playing with fonts to try and put some special characters
>into an application for a client.  Since the characters I need can
>replace some foreign language characters in the default font set, I
>used fontographer to create a new font set with just those characters.
>The font is to be used for adding special characters to the end of a
>string entry field.  Since, controls cannot contain more than one
>font, I have to recreate the entire font file and add the special
>charcters.  I tried just using the special characters as the font, but
>the the other text characters come up as blanks.  Can anyone point me
>in the direction of what I might be doing wrong?

G'day Jeff,

So, you're still trying to get those wholes, halves, quarters and
eighths to print out. You are in the wars, eh?

If I'm reading this right, you can't just "use the special characters
as the font". I'm not at all familiar with Fontographer, but I suspect
you have to:

(1) Copy your starting font to another font.
(2) Load this font into fontographer.
(3) Replace the foreign characters you don't want with the halves,
quarters and eighths from the MSREF2 font.
(4) Save the new combined font.

You could, of course, still take the other option I gave you
privately, and this is to right-justify the whole number using any
standard font, then left-justify the fractions using MSREF2.

If you do get the combined font going, I would definitely love a copy
of it.

Wishing you all the best in your venture
--
Steve Greenwood
HiCaliber Software

Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Okay, okay.

2. Okay I'm really dense but....

3. Okay, I've made progress...

4. okay, all you Tcl'ing fools...

5. An AWK poser that's stumped a novice

6. error 19 - i'm stumped - snip [1/1]

7. I'm Stumped ...

8. I'm stumped on threads

9. Problems installing pythonwin - I'm stumped

10. [Fwd: Re: I'm stumped on threads]

11. proc global problem - I'm completely stumped

12. I'm stumped, need help