Clarion's Report Writer
Author Message
 Clarion's Report Writer

I am trying to figure out how to create a specific report using this
app. and am having trouble figuring out how to properly filter the
information.

I have (1) file (2) client and (3) matter information in different TPS
files. I have linked them properly (I think) but I want to create a
report that will prompt the user to enter in client and matter
information and the report will list all folders for that specific
client and matter only.

I would also like to figure out a way to filter through the information
so that the app does not sift through the entire 50,000 record
collection for this report.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

Lindsey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion's Report Writer
I have a couple of ideas:

Quote:
>I am trying to figure out how to create a specific report
using this
>app. and am having trouble figuring out how to properly
filter the
>information.

>I have (1) file (2) client and (3) matter information in
different TPS
>files. I have linked them properly (I think) but I want to
create a
>report that will prompt the user to enter in client and
matter
>information and the report will list all folders for that
specific
>client and matter only.

OK, let's assume you are using a systemId for the client file.
You need a brows, form or what ever for the user to select the
matter information they want to print. Assuming there is a
Client:SystemId in there you save this to a global field. Next
your report should have the Matter as the detail and the
client in the header. This way all you need to do is create a
range for the key based on client systemId that is equal to
the saved global.

Quote:

>I would also like to figure out a way to filter through the
information
>so that the app does not sift through the entire 50,000
record
>collection for this report.

Ok this is a problem that a lot of people tend to do. Try and
use a filter to select items for a report instead of having
the files normalized with good key structures. Filters used
alone have no way to find records other than, reading each
record and deciding if the elements in the filter are equal to
the elements in the record and so on and so on. Now you can
use a combination of range and filters that will speed up a
lot of searches, but the scenario you describe seems like a
candidate for range.

Mick

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clarion Report Writer Bug?

2. Clarion Report Writer - Office 2000 (ODBC)

3. Clarion Report Writer

4. Clarion Report Writer

5. Clarion 4b Report Writer

6. Sending output from Clarion Report Writer for windows to a file

7. Clarion 4 report writer

8. Clarion Report Writer Problem

9. Clarion Report Writer Help

10. Clarion Report Writer