Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b
Author Message
 Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b

Hello everybody,

I'm having some problems splitting my big executable into a small
executable that calls many dll's. I followed the UG page 572 (the
Sub-application approach). They advise me to handle in the following way:

1. Making a 'data'-application (an empty application with the
data-dictionary and the Global variables, which I manage to do)
2. Making one master-application (The executable !) with only the frame
with the menubars and toolbars and the splashscreen. I managed to do this
too !
3. Making sub-applications (the dll's)

Point 3 is were I got the problems. In my data-application I inserted some
Global variables as well.  I want to call them from my sub-applications
(the dll's). The advise is to insert a module to the sub-application in the
form of an External DLL. I selected the right *.lib file for the .DLL
containing the data-definitions (following the UG pg. 574). The problem I
have is that when I compile my sub-application (which uses some of the
Global variables declared in the data-application) he doesn't find the
Global variables on the location. This results in error message during
compiling like 'Unknown identifier'.

What am I doing wrong ??

Tom Roelofszen

Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b
Hi Tom,

I'm not using c4 myself. As I remember from CW2.
You have to define the GLO:Variables in each EXE/DLL you want to use them.
Make sure the Storage Class is External-DLL on them.  (And Default in the
Data.DLL)

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Johannes

Quote:

The problem I
>have is that when I compile my sub-application (which uses some of the
>Global variables declared in the data-application) he doesn't find the
>Global variables on the location. This results in error message during
>compiling like 'Unknown identifier'.
>Tom Roelofszen

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b

Quote:
>Point 3 is were I got the problems. In my data-application I inserted some
>Global variables as well.  I want to call them from my sub-applications
>(the dll's). The advise is to insert a module to the sub-application in the
>form of an External DLL. I selected the right *.lib file for the .DLL
>containing the data-definitions (following the UG pg. 574). The problem I
>have is that when I compile my sub-application (which uses some of the
>Global variables declared in the data-application) he doesn't find the
>Global variables on the location. This results in error message during
>compiling like 'Unknown identifier'.

>What am I doing wrong ??

Any global variables you want to use have to be defined in the lowest level
of DLL's, i.e.

I f you have an EXE that uses a DLL, and that DLL uses another DLL, you will
have to define any global variables  in the last DLL!

Kind regards,
Morten F. Thomsen
Head of Development, daTax Software AS, Norway
www.datax.no

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. .exe too big, also after splitting in .dll's

2. TASM.EXE TLINK.EXE I 'm looking for

3. How to call a procedure in a dll from an exe in C4B

4. C55 exe calling a C4b Dll

5. 32-Bit NMAKE.EXE, LINK.EXE, LIB.EXE, & RC.EXE

6. Splitting up EXE into DLLs

7. Splitting an EXE into a DLL, using CFW 2003

8. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

9. cscn.exe and cvvt.exe

10. ABC Exe Called From Clarion Exe

11. ntvdm.exe - Application Error when running C55EE.exe

12. Runtime .exe WAY too big...