Directory() & file size
Author Message
 Directory() & file size

CW5.5H , W2000

I am using the Directory() command to get the file sizes to see if the backup I am making
will fit on a CD.  I thought all was going well until I came up with a backup set that was
too big to fit.  When I started checking things out I found that the size reported by
Directory() is significantly smaller than what is reported by the operating system or by
Handy Tools FileSize.  For example, a file that Directory says is 694,872 bytes comes in
at 937,440 using the other two methods.

Am I missing something in using the command?  It really fits my needs since I sort the
queue by date and then get the size of files for each day.  Just need it to be a lot
closer to real values.

Thanks,
Frank

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:35:38 GMT
 Directory() & file size
Frank,

It will give you the real filesize, not the filesize
occupied on disk (dependant on the clustersize).
You need to know how much space it'll need on
the CD. I believe the clustersize on CD is 512 bytes
(someone correct me) so your file of 694,872 bytes
shall need 696,320 bytes on CD.
When the Explorer is reporting 937,440 bytes for
this file, it might still fit on a (700Mb) CD.

--

Best regards,
Maarten

"I know what I know but I do not know what you don't know"

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:55:49 GMT
 Directory() & file size
Frank,

Make sure that you set all the attributes on - if you're setting the
attributes to 00H (or omitted) then you will miss the system, hidden,
readonly, etc. files, which may be the size difference. Check out the
Clarion help for more details.

JAT

--
Geoff (at Capesoft)

PS - All viewpoints regarding Capesoft products are as unbiased as
possible - but there are no guarantees <g>.

Tel: +27 21 705 8584
Fax: +27 21 705 8587
www.capesoft.com

Quote:
> CW5.5H , W2000

> I am using the Directory() command to get the file sizes to see if the
backup I am making
> will fit on a CD.  I thought all was going well until I came up with a
backup set that was
> too big to fit.  When I started checking things out I found that the size
reported by
> Directory() is significantly smaller than what is reported by the

operating system or by
Quote:
> Handy Tools FileSize.  For example, a file that Directory says is 694,872
bytes comes in
> at 937,440 using the other two methods.

> Am I missing something in using the command?  It really fits my needs
since I sort the
> queue by date and then get the size of files for each day.  Just need it
to be a lot
> closer to real values.

> Thanks,
> Frank

Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:58:06 GMT
 Directory() & file size
You will need to round each file size up to the disk sector size.

Derek
CapeSoft

Quote:
> Frank,

> Make sure that you set all the attributes on - if you're setting the
> attributes to 00H (or omitted) then you will miss the system, hidden,
> readonly, etc. files, which may be the size difference. Check out the
> Clarion help for more details.

> JAT

> --
> Geoff (at Capesoft)

> PS - All viewpoints regarding Capesoft products are as unbiased as
> possible - but there are no guarantees <g>.

> Tel: +27 21 705 8584
> Fax: +27 21 705 8587
> www.capesoft.com

> > CW5.5H , W2000

> > I am using the Directory() command to get the file sizes to see if the
> backup I am making
> > will fit on a CD.  I thought all was going well until I came up with a
> backup set that was
> > too big to fit.  When I started checking things out I found that the
size
> reported by
> > Directory() is significantly smaller than what is reported by the
> operating system or by
> > Handy Tools FileSize.  For example, a file that Directory says is
694,872
> bytes comes in
> > at 937,440 using the other two methods.

> > Am I missing something in using the command?  It really fits my needs
> since I sort the
> > queue by date and then get the size of files for each day.  Just need it
> to be a lot
> > closer to real values.

> > Thanks,
> > Frank

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:02:49 GMT
 Directory() & file size
Thanks for the suggestions.  I think my problem really is the way I have things arranged.
  I will keep plugging along with it.

Again, thanks for the support.
Frank

Quote:

> CW5.5H , W2000

> I am using the Directory() command to get the file sizes to see if the
> backup I am making will fit on a CD.  I thought all was going well until
> I came up with a backup set that was too big to fit.  When I started
> checking things out I found that the size reported by Directory() is
> significantly smaller than what is reported by the operating system or
> by Handy Tools FileSize.  For example, a file that Directory says is
> 694,872 bytes comes in at 937,440 using the other two methods.

> Am I missing something in using the command?  It really fits my needs
> since I sort the queue by date and then get the size of files for each
> day.  Just need it to be a lot closer to real values.

> Thanks,
> Frank

Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:30:49 GMT

1. File size for NTFS compressed directories

2. Directory info and file size data in Fortran

3. Creating Directories & Sub-Directories from Clarion

4. DBF & INDEX File directory

5. VX-REXX Directories & Files

6. Directory & File Monitoring

7. Walk Directories via Caching (& Dup file detection)

8. Hidden files, selecting directories, & taxes

9. Directory of File/Directories on CD

10. copy file from one directory to another directory

11. File Size Tips & Tricks

12. Dynamic file naming & HP3000 Buffer size issues