slow running in XP?
Author Message
 slow running in XP?

I have a client running the SAME code with the SAME data. I am producing a
report which takes 65 seconds on my machine and 17 minutes on theirs!!!

It is a very simple loop to eof etc. on a keyed file. I could speed up the
code of course but the time diffference is the worrying factor.

The ONLY difference is that they are using XP and I am using 98.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

BTW - the clients machine is new so no hardware issues should be applicable
and I have asked them to turn off their virus checker also.
--

JOHN FLIGG

C55EE, ABC (none Legacy)

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:23:12 GMT
 slow running in XP?
Hi John -
Yup, I've had the same experience.  There are times that I think I can
count the records as they are read processed.  I have NOT found
solution but have thought that disk-drive speed might be a factor.  I
also wonder if there isn't a bunch of file backup being done by Win.XP
to handle their "magic recovery" capability.
The stream-fluch suggestion that has been posted here bothers me.  It
is my unerstanding that it will cause conflicts in a multi-user
environment.
I hope someone can shed a little light on this!
Guy

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:36:00 +0100, "John Fligg"

Quote:

>I have a client running the SAME code with the SAME data. I am producing a
>report which takes 65 seconds on my machine and 17 minutes on theirs!!!

>It is a very simple loop to eof etc. on a keyed file. I could speed up the
>code of course but the time diffference is the worrying factor.

>The ONLY difference is that they are using XP and I am using 98.

>Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

>BTW - the clients machine is new so no hardware issues should be applicable
>and I have asked them to turn off their virus checker also.
>--

>JOHN FLIGG

>C55EE, ABC (none Legacy)

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:23:20 GMT
 slow running in XP?
Hello John,

Quote:
> I have a client running the SAME code with the SAME data. I am producing a
> report which takes 65 seconds on my machine and 17 minutes on theirs!!!

> It is a very simple loop to eof etc. on a keyed file. I could speed up the
> code of course but the time diffference is the worrying factor.

If have the same problme using LOOP UNTIL EOF.
I replace it by LOOP and IF ERRORCODE()=33 THEN BREAK.

Guy Cauwenbergh

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:23:29 GMT
 slow running in XP?
John,

Are they Clarion or TopSpeed files?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
> I have a client running the SAME code with the SAME data. I am producing a
> report which takes 65 seconds on my machine and 17 minutes on theirs!!!

> It is a very simple loop to eof etc. on a keyed file. I could speed up the
> code of course but the time diffference is the worrying factor.

> The ONLY difference is that they are using XP and I am using 98.

> Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

> BTW - the clients machine is new so no hardware issues should be
applicable
> and I have asked them to turn off their virus checker also.
> --

> JOHN FLIGG

> C55EE, ABC (none Legacy)

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:23:41 GMT
 slow running in XP?
Hey John!

I had a similar experience with Win XP.  It seems that my program or some
other one (I have not yet determined which) produced thousands of temporary
files in the "Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\"  folder.
It took me about 40 minutes just to delete them.  They started with
CLA0001.TMP and went up (in hex mode) to CLAFFFF.tmp  My guess is that they
were created by the report previewer, but I'm not sure.
As soon as I removed them my reports worked normally.

HTH,

Al Sierra

Quote:
> I have a client running the SAME code with the SAME data. I am producing a
> report which takes 65 seconds on my machine and 17 minutes on theirs!!!

> It is a very simple loop to eof etc. on a keyed file. I could speed up the
> code of course but the time diffference is the worrying factor.

> The ONLY difference is that they are using XP and I am using 98.

> Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

> BTW - the clients machine is new so no hardware issues should be
applicable
> and I have asked them to turn off their virus checker also.
> --

> JOHN FLIGG

> C55EE, ABC (none Legacy)

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:24:36 GMT
 slow running in XP?

Quote:

> It took me about 40 minutes just to delete them.  They started with
> CLA0001.TMP and went up (in hex mode) to CLAFFFF.tmp

Al,

Not that this solves the problem, but next time, go to the DOS prompt
and delete them, itll happen a ton faster<g>

---
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear Development
http://www.granitebear.com

Software for professional photography
studios, cultured marble / cast polymer /
solid surface manufacturers and non-profit
organizations

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:24:39 GMT
 slow running in XP?

<snip>

Quote:
>The stream-fluch suggestion that has been posted here bothers me.  It
>is my unerstanding that it will cause conflicts in a multi-user
>environment.

Which is why you use LOGOUT->COMMIT in a multi-user environment.

Jason

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:28:19 GMT
 slow running in XP?
Better pray M$ don't trash DOS from their future Windows releases
<aaaargh!>.

Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:51:51 GMT
 slow running in XP?
Zoran,

Yes, XP is a dog when it comes to disk access:)  And, probably won't
get any better in the future.  If MS addresses the file access issue
then we might see some relief by XP+ time .... just another upgrade to
fix it, hopefully.

The same Clarion .EXE, when writing to disk (adding new records OR
updating existing records) is in the area of ten to twenty times
SLOWER on a 1.7GH with 7,200 RPM drive, NTFS --- as compared to a WIN
95, 166 MHZ with a 5,400 RPM drive.

Test it if you have the platforms handy - you won't believe the
disk/file access performance hit XP (NTFS) causes.

Rich
www.compulink-ltd.com

Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:43:32 GMT

1. Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1

2. Clipper program run very slow in a XP machine

3. XP, Clp5.3 Appilication runs Local =SLOW, but run on Network =FAST . ???

4. app slow loading intermittently W2K & XP

5. Process database few time slower on XP

6. Calrion 5 programs slow on XP

7. Windows XP + Novell + Clipper => Slow

8. Win XP slow Begin...

9. slow down on XP ?

10. network very slow in windows xp

11. XP and slow printing from clipper program

12. Slow printing under XP (another confused user)