Lock-ups on Network
Author Message
 Lock-ups on Network

Does anyone have any thought/advise about a problem we are having with a
package of ours written in cw2.003.

Basically all of our network customers are having lock-up problems on their
Windows 95 when using our app and I'm trying to track down if it is a
problem with our app or windows/networking.

These lock-ups cause Windows 95 to stop responding - the mouse moves, but no
response - only option reset.

The problems are worse on some sites than others, but all are experiencing
the lock-ups. The worst sites get 2-3 lock-ups per workstation per day.

As it happens all of our customer sites are using the same basic set-up,
with the main differences being in the make/model of PC:

Novell Network with Netware 3.11 or 3.12 - with the Y2K patches
Windows 95 - I think they all have the latest service patches
Each PC is a Pentium with a min of 16mb ram
The CW2 app uses TPS files only
The app is 32bit only
The data, exes and dlls are all located on the Novell Server
The PCs use the W95 standard Novell Client

Does anybody have any thoughts, or know of any problems with networks & CW2.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lock-ups on Network
Hi Mark,

I've seen this on Novell 4.11 Networks with Win 95 clients.

Problem in this case was caused by the Netware Message PopUp
TSR and the Energy saver Component of the PC's. Mouse
worked but screen appeared locked.

Solution : Either  ALT +TAB to get off the current screen (which
appears locked) or get rid of the PC energy saver CMOS setting.

HTH

Brian

Quote:

>Does anyone have any thought/advise about a problem we are having with a
>package of ours written in cw2.003.
>Basically all of our network customers are having lock-up problems on their
>Windows 95 when using our app and I'm trying to track down if it is a
>problem with our app or windows/networking.
>These lock-ups cause Windows 95 to stop responding - the mouse moves, but no
>response - only option reset.
>The problems are worse on some sites than others, but all are experiencing
>the lock-ups. The worst sites get 2-3 lock-ups per workstation per day.
>As it happens all of our customer sites are using the same basic set-up,
>with the main differences being in the make/model of PC:
>Novell Network with Netware 3.11 or 3.12 - with the Y2K patches
>Windows 95 - I think they all have the latest service patches
>Each PC is a Pentium with a min of 16mb ram
>The CW2 app uses TPS files only
>The app is 32bit only
>The data, exes and dlls are all located on the Novell Server
>The PCs use the W95 standard Novell Client
>Does anybody have any thoughts, or know of any problems with networks & CW2.
>Thanks in advance
>Mark

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lock-ups on Network
Mark,

I'd first try upgrading the client software to use Novell Client32
V2.2.  The Novell client is much better (IMO) than the MS client.

Al

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lock-ups on Network
Mark,
Quote:
> The data, exes and dlls are all located on the Novell Server

I experienced this problem when I had all my data, exe & dlls on the
server.  In that design you will use too much bandwidth (when tested my app
used 48%).  You should bring your exe & dlls (& if you have any static
reference tables) down to the client PC.  When I did that my bandwidth
usage dropped dramatically to 0.003%.

STEVE

Quote:
> Does anyone have any thought/advise about a problem we are having with a
> package of ours written in cw2.003.

Tue, 06 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Program Lockups with Network

2. Lock-ups in 4.0

3. Lock ups under '98

4. Lock-ups using SystemExec.vi

5. MF Cobol 3.2.50 for DOS lock ups

6. num lock, caps lock, scroll lock lights

7. Heeelp Network slowdowns / lockups

8. HELP!! Network Lock Problems

9. File locking on NT Network

10. Record Locking in a Network enviroment?

11. Network Problem!!! File Lock Error

12. CD3102 and Network locking