C5 - TCP/IP Client/Server and DirectX Questions
Author Message
 C5 - TCP/IP Client/Server and DirectX Questions

Quote:
> So threading is not really an
> option in this case.  So other than extremely complex socket number queues
> and timer driven connections, anyone have some good suggestions on this
> problem?

If you were considering VC you must have some API knowledge so consider using
CreateThread api in CW but not calling anything in the runtime libary from the
created threads.  That way you can make as many worker threads as you like.
For what you want, IMO threading is the way to go.

Quote:
>   Next question, I know Clarion doesn't like OLE COM objects and therefor
> using DirectX would be a real bear... So does anyone know of a good graphics
> library wrapper that will work with Clarion?  Better yet, how bought a
> wrapper that works with Direct3D, Glide & OpenGL AND works with Clarion.

CW is weak in COM. It only handles late binding. For speed reasons you will
want to use early binding. Also I believe that is how DirectX is implimented.
You can use early binding with CW but its a bit of work because you have to
dig out all the IIDs and other constants manually due to a lack of .h files.
I wrote a 3 part article for CW Magazine on early binding in CW with a code
sample. George Petrov just took my work and went one step further providing
another example of Early binding COM in CW. Can be done.

Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C5 - TCP/IP Client/Server and DirectX Questions
Hello,
  I have always wanted to develop a video game (that's why I got into
programming), and I've finally set out to do it.  In planning the design I
decided I would use Visual C and make this great MMRPG game.  But then I
thought, hey, I know Clarion very well... let's see if we can use it
instead.  So here goes...
  I know how to use TCP/IP very well using a straight socket connection, but
when it comes to making a server handle multiple clients I have a bit of a
rough spot.  I made a simple server app that handles the accept on the main
thread with an active window.  I then pass off each connection to a new
thread each time.  But because my thread is entirely hard coded and has no
window, the main thread locks up until I'm done.  Well, I figure, Clarion
can only work with 64 threads anyway and that won't work for a server that
should handle thousands of connections.  So threading is not really an
option in this case.  So other than extremely complex socket number queues
and timer driven connections, anyone have some good suggestions on this
problem?
  Next question, I know Clarion doesn't like OLE COM objects and therefor
using DirectX would be a real bear... So does anyone know of a good graphics
library wrapper that will work with Clarion?  Better yet, how bought a
wrapper that works with Direct3D, Glide & OpenGL AND works with Clarion.

  Thanks for your help.

  Shawn Nicholson
  <My e-mail would usually go here, but this is a newsgroup and I get enough
junk mail as it is>

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 C5 - TCP/IP Client/Server and DirectX Questions

b9Qj4.11321

Quote:
>   Next question, I know Clarion doesn't like OLE COM objects and therefor
> using DirectX would be a real bear... So does anyone know of a good
graphics
> library wrapper that will work with Clarion?  Better yet, how bought a
> wrapper that works with Direct3D, Glide & OpenGL AND works with Clarion.

Look at my webpage, I've written a OpenGL example in Clarion5 that can be
downloaded.
www.angelfire.com/id/rvdlaar

Ramon van de Laar

Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. TCP/IP server & client in CW2xxxx

2. Interest in TCP/Ip Server & Client

3. Client - Server slow tcp/ip...

4. TCP IP, client and server socket

5. does anyone have an example of a c++ TCP/IP client that works with labview TCP?IP server ??

6. TCP/IP sockets code in REXX script (long) - client.CMD (1/1)

7. TCP/IP sockets code in REXX script (long) - client.CMD (0/1)

8. CLIENT (Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT) to MVS-CICS via TCP/IP or other gateway

9. TCP/IP client app with MF COBOL?

10. Need help with TCP/IP client access from Windows

11. Announce: tkconnect - simple Tcp/ip client

12. TCP/IP servers in Smalltalk (only GNU ?)