Number of Records in a TPS file
Author Message
 Number of Records in a TPS file

Have taken over a database of 500,000 records in TPS format.
Browse and search are a pain in the <   >.
Should I change to SQL or is there something I can do to
improve this.
By the way what is the largest no of records in a TPS file
currently in use out there. Anyone know?

Mike Veldsman

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:06:58 GMT
 Number of Records in a TPS file

Quote:
> Have taken over a database of 500,000 records in TPS format.
> Browse and search are a pain in the <   >.
> Should I change to SQL or is there something I can do to
> improve this.

Try to play with QuickScan option in browse. I don't know if it will work
but it can be enough. In normal way, browses read just the records who will
be displayed on the screen. You probably use filters. That's why it's slow.
If you use filter, do it on record through a key. We've got one million of
records in a TPS file here and there is no time problem. Browse showing them
in a few milli-seconds. Be sure you're using a key. It's important.

Quote:
> By the way what is the largest no of records in a TPS file
> currently in use out there. Anyone know?

Yes, 4.294.967.295 records. (coded on an ULONG). To my mind. That's enough
:-P

Quote:

> Mike Veldsman

Julien

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:18:01 GMT
 Number of Records in a TPS file
Oh, coming back as professional (I hope), welcome :-)

Quote:
> > By the way what is the largest no of records in a TPS file
> > currently in use out there. Anyone know?

> Yes, 4.294.967.295 records. (coded on an ULONG). To my mind. That's enough

slight correction: Only the max. value of LONG 2.1...
The sign bit is used for internal purposes and therefore not available as
a record number.

BTW When ever possible use LONGs, ULONGs are converted for computations
to DECIMAL and then back. This gives a heavy speed penalty

Regards

JB

Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:06:43 GMT
 Number of Records in a TPS file

Quote:
>Have taken over a database of 500,000 records in TPS format.
>Browse and search are a pain in the <   >.

Have sevral app's with .TPS with more than 500.000 records.
My experience is that you need a key with the field you want
things order by present. Filters must be made to work as an
selection based from a key-order. If not a lot more records
than needed is scanned.

Kjetil Nesheim
More Computers

Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:47:22 GMT
 Number of Records in a TPS file
Can i have an animal reaction ?

GrrrrrRRrr

Now, I'll try sounds like professional and well educated. Promised. :-P

Julien

Sat, 20 Mar 2004 04:53:18 GMT

1. number of records for tps file and searching files

2. copy records from old tps to new tps

3. TPS file system rewrites WRONG record

4. Copying Records from a Queue to a TPS file

5. LONG in TPS file doesn't show negative numbers

6. Looking for TPS file W/O TPS Estention

7. TPS file recovery utility/TPS ODBC problem

8. Calculating the number of records in a file

9. counting number of records in a Fortran direct file

10. RECORDS( MFL:Key0 ) doesn't return correct record number

11. Cannot find the right record using random read in TPS but can find in DBF

12. import records into tps c5EE