File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files
Author Message
 File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

File conversions on very large files seem to hang the computer after about 5
minutes.  The hard disk light goes on solid and windows says the app is no
longer responding.  Large is 80M or bigger.  File manager seemed to convert
from clarion files to Topseed OK but the conversion from Topseed to modified
Topspeed seems to be the problem.  All worked well with my test data but my
customer's files a much larger.

Is there a quicker way?

My customers are scattered all over and all have some large files.

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files
Dennis,

Try doing a flush every once in a while (500 to 1000 records) instead of
waiting until the end of the file.  If that doesn't work, try to process
the file in sections, either by opening and closing the files several
times as you go through them, or by running the program several times
and keeping track of which record you are at in an .ini file.

--

Jay Guengerich
Reliable Development Corp.

CFD 3.102, CW2.003, C5EEb ABC

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files
I am letting File manager do the conversion.  Your reply seems to indicate
that I need to convert the file myself with a conversion program.

I was hopping that file manager could be kicked in the rear to do the job.

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files
Dennis,

Sorry, I didn't read your subject line very carefully!  I was thinking
that you were using a conversion program generated by the dictionary
editor.  I've never used FileManager, so I can't help you there.

--

Jay Guengerich
Reliable Development Corp.

CFD 3.102, CW2.003, C5EEb ABC

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files
For such large files I would suggest you write a simple conversion program.
In you program, open a window and display some king of progress monitor or
just show the number of records converted.

Set the timer to 100 and in the EVENT:Timer embed loop through the records
100 at a time. This allows the program to convert a number of records and
the return to the ACCEPT loop to free up the system. You could use YEILD but
it doesn't seem to work as well in practice.

EVENT:Timer
  LOOP x# = 1 TO 100
     NEXT(File)
     !Do something
  END

Hope this helps
Tony

Quote:
> File conversions on very large files seem to hang the computer after about
5
> minutes.  The hard disk light goes on solid and windows says the app is no
> longer responding.  Large is 80M or bigger.  File manager seemed to
convert
> from clarion files to Topseed OK but the conversion from Topseed to
modified
> Topspeed seems to be the problem.  All worked well with my test data but
my
> customer's files a much larger.

> Is there a quicker way?

> My customers are scattered all over and all have some large files.

Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Use File manager to REBUILD files

2. File Manager 2 released (Automatic File Upgrading (inc TPS))

3. Intel Hex file conversion to binary file question

4. automating conversion from 2D .dwg-files to 3D and .wrl-files (VRML)

5. Conversion of Fortran File unit to C File stream

6. DOS File Lookup - just the file name, not the path AND file name

7. How can I know the .EXE file name, file date, file size

8. files, temp files, and file-like objects

9. VM/CMS Release 5 Assembler Program To Read Huge Files

10. HELP. Separating a huge wrapped file

11. Grabbing a small piece from a huge file

12. Print to file, filesize huge in NT