Can't Share File on WinME
Author Message
 Can't Share File on WinME

Oh well, wish I had my ME box still installed...but it was so "buggy" that I
went back to 98.

BUT...to answer your question....winME has a file much like NT...(which
means you will have to locate the file.)  I cannot remember the name...but
it is a file you edit much like config.sys (or config.nt)

Hope this helps

Vernon Jay Godwin

Quote:
> Hello Gang,

> I have a CPD2.10 application which opens 95 files and I have had no
> problem using it with DOS/Win95/Win98. A client recently installed a
> WinME computer and I have found that the config.sys and autoexec.bat
> have been replaced with an environment setting tab. When I add
> Files=100 to this setting and reboot the computer it appears to make
> no difference. Anybody have any clues on this?

> Thanks

> Kerry McNally

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME
Hello Gang,

I have a CPD2.10 application which opens 95 files and I have had no
problem using it with DOS/Win95/Win98. A client recently installed a
WinME computer and I have found that the config.sys and autoexec.bat
have been replaced with an environment setting tab. When I add
Files=100 to this setting and reboot the computer it appears to make
no difference. Anybody have any clues on this?

Thanks

Kerry McNally

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:08:16 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME

Quote:
> Hello Gang,

> I have a CPD2.10 application which opens 95 files and I have had no
> problem using it with DOS/Win95/Win98. A client recently installed a
> WinME computer and I have found that the config.sys and autoexec.bat
> have been replaced with an environment setting tab. When I add
> Files=100 to this setting and reboot the computer it appears to make
> no difference. Anybody have any clues on this?

> Thanks

> Kerry McNally

For solution look at
http://betaxtreme.hypermart.net/winme.htm

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME
Kerry,

You have to edit the System.INI in [386Enh] section and add the line:
PerVMFiles=<number> where <number> is the number of file handles you
want.  I am not entirely sure but I believe WinME allocates 30 by
default and anything you put into the PerVMFiles= statement adds to
the 30.

HTH,

John

Quote:
>Hello Gang,

>I have a CPD2.10 application which opens 95 files and I have had no
>problem using it with DOS/Win95/Win98. A client recently installed a
>WinME computer and I have found that the config.sys and autoexec.bat
>have been replaced with an environment setting tab. When I add
>Files=100 to this setting and reboot the computer it appears to make
>no difference. Anybody have any clues on this?

>Thanks

>Kerry McNally

John Dunn

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME
Hello Gang,

Thank you all for your assistance I will give them a go.

Regards

Kerry McNally

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:26:09 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME
Hello Gang,

The Microsoft link is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q269/0/30.asp

Thanks again to all.

Kerry McNally

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:41:26 GMT
 Can't Share File on WinME
Kerry,

Could you run a small test for me?  I have a client that is looking to
move to Win 2000 and ME.  We discovered a severe problem under 2000
using CHAIN.COM with a CPD 2.1 app.  The 2.1 app works fine, but you
can't run CHAIN.COM.  It always tells us it doesn't have enough memory
to load it.  Could your try running your app under ME by loading it with
chain.com and see what happens?  Use CHAIN.COM <your app>.EXE to run it
if you are not familiar with it.

Thanks,

Kelly Orr

Quote:

> Hello Gang,

> The Microsoft link is here:

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q269/0/30.asp

> Thanks again to all.

> Kerry McNally

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

2. Ratio between agent's share and consultant's share

3. Ratio between agent's share and consultant's share

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. It's not bad canned meat...

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. R6003 error on HP WinMe (I've already done the usual)

9. Files and WinME

10. URGENT: Can't share files on a Novell 4.01 Server

11. Mutual file sharing with 2 or more CVF files

12. g95 / Linux / 'shared global COMMON'