Change database column length
Author Message
 Change database column length

I have written a program to collect shop floor production data, the problem
is that I require a field that I specked in the database a while ago to be
longer. I initially made it a string of 20 Chars. I would now like to make
it 40 chars, normally I would change the database dictionary, browse the
data file so the structure changes to match the new dictionary file then
recompile all my app files over the new dictionary. This works OK but is a
little long winded, especially for the project I am on now as there are lots
of small apps to recompile and I am missing two of them ({*filter*}).

Does anyone know of a quicker way or a short cut - please !

Thank You

Steve

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:02:30 GMT
 Change database column length
On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:02:30 +0100, "stephen evans"

Quote:

>I have written a program to collect shop floor production data, the problem
>is that I require a field that I specked in the database a while ago to be
>longer. I initially made it a string of 20 Chars. I would now like to make
>it 40 chars, normally I would change the database dictionary, browse the

Go to www.capesoft.com and get File Manager 2,

It will automate all files/Field changes.

You just have to  change file in DCT then recompile ALL apps,

Data files will be auto converted when the program is run

HTH
Ray

Ray Creighton
Brisbane Australia
Build the Mystery Crystal Set - http://www.clarion.org.au/crystalset/mystery.html
Browning-Drake Site - http://www.clarion.org.au/browning-drake/
SEQG Crystal Sets - http://www.clarion.org.au/crystalset/
SEQG (HRSA) - http://seqg.tripod.com

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:25:09 GMT
 Change database column length
1 word: FileManager2

or is that two words, or 2 words and a number, <g>

But either way, you still have to re-compile your apps. But let FileManager2
do the file upgrading. It's surprising that anyone using Clarion does not
use FileManager2.

Why isn't it part of Clarion? At least, shipped with Clarion?

A self-updating Database. Isn't that a selling point? I would of thought so.

--
Regards
Bryan Harrison

Clarion 5.5B Gold (ABC)
Windows 2000 SP1
Novell 5.0

> I have written a program to collect shop floor production data, the
problem
> is that I require a field that I specked in the database a while ago to be
> longer. I initially made it a string of 20 Chars. I would now like to make
> it 40 chars, normally I would change the database dictionary, browse the
> data file so the structure changes to match the new dictionary file then
> recompile all my app files over the new dictionary. This works OK but is a
> little long winded, especially for the project I am on now as there are
lots
> of small apps to recompile and I am missing two of them ({*filter*}).

> Does anyone know of a quicker way or a short cut - please !

> Thank You

> Steve

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:25:02 GMT
 Change database column length
Absolutely FM2!

--
Ronald van Raaphorst
Compad

Site: www.Compad.nl

Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:59:45 GMT
 Change database column length
Steve,

FM2 is a fine product but even it won't work if you are "missing" two of
the apps.  Even with FM2 you need all the APPs and have to change the
DCT and recompile and redistribute the exe's.  FM2 simply helps with the
actual data file conversion (which of course is a plus).

When faced with this problem in the past (a missing app), I defined a
"trailer" file with the record key the same as the "primary" file.  Then
added program logic as necessary to look in the trailer file first for
the full 40 characters and if NoRecErr, then look in the "primary" file
for the 20 characters.  That way your 2 missing programs will continue
to work (using the 20 character string) and the others (with the trailer
file extension logic) will work with the 40 character string.  Updating
is a bit sloppy since the update needs to be applied to both primary and
trailer files but hey, it DOES work (my trailer file logic is still
working after 4 years).

HTH

Al

Quote:

> I have written a program to collect shop floor production data, the problem
> is that I require a field that I specked in the database a while ago to be
> longer. I initially made it a string of 20 Chars. I would now like to make
> it 40 chars, normally I would change the database dictionary, browse the
> data file so the structure changes to match the new dictionary file then
> recompile all my app files over the new dictionary. This works OK but is a
> little long winded, especially for the project I am on now as there are lots
> of small apps to recompile and I am missing two of them ({*filter*}).

> Does anyone know of a quicker way or a short cut - please !

> Thank You

> Steve

Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:49:07 GMT

1. Changing Database-Bound ListBox Column Order

2. Change column width in Labview Database Connectivity Toolset

3. Ordering of columns is changed after dropping and creating a (Sybase) database table

4. Ordering of columns is changed after dropping and creating a (Sybase) database table

5. Max length of column entrys

6. Line length & fill column policy

7. New Columns in Database

8. column names getting garbled in Vx-Rexx C/S database object

9. VX-Rexx C/S kit : mangled database column names

10. database variable-length report to awk?

11. sed - how to change columns

12. Changing list box columns at runtime