CW Filtered Reports 'hang' PC
Author Message
 CW Filtered Reports 'hang' PC

I just ran into what must be one of the most frustrating aspects of
the standard CW Reports template - running a filtered report in a
16bit CW application when the reported file is large, but the number
of records which will be selected by the filter is small.  All Windows
apps are effectively frozen while the CW report tries to find
RecordsPerCycle filtered records.  Setting RecordsPerCycle to 1 helps,
but doesn't solve the problem where the filtered records are few and
far between.  The basic problem is the if you use a view filter, there
is no effective way while doing a NEXT on the view to kick out and
cycle through the ACCEPT loop every few (not-accepted-by-filter)
records.  You'd think that using a filter in the "Validate Record:
Filter Checking" embed would work, but the generated code produces the
same result as the view filter: once the timer event is caught, you
don't get back to the top of the ACCEPT loop until RecordsPerCycle
filtered records have been found, and until that happens, you can't
minimize the CW app, or switch to another windows app, etc, etc, etc.

I could probably hand-code a report to run acceptably, but we
currently have a number of reports being done by another employee, who
can use the Report template, but isn't ready to tackle hand-code.
This is supposed to leave me open to handle the more difficult things
(like the rest of the current project).

A couple of questions:

1.  Is there a way I've overlooked of making the Report template sane
in this kind of situation(aside from re-writing the template)?

2.  Do the third-party report templates handle this situation OK, or
do they exhibit the same problems the CW Report template does?

Ben
--

Senior Systems Analyst                |
TermNet Merchant Services, Inc.       |

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW Filtered Reports 'hang' PC

Hi Ben,

Quote:
>I just ran into what must be one of the most frustrating aspects of
>the standard CW Reports template - running a filtered report in a
>16bit CW application when the reported file is large, but the number
>of records which will be selected by the filter is small.  All Windows
>apps are effectively frozen while the CW report tries to find
>RecordsPerCycle filtered records.  Setting RecordsPerCycle to 1 helps,

If I recall the RecordsPerCycle is set high (seems to recall it was
set to 1000) in the original templates.  I have it set to 25 or 100 -
can't remember and can't find the place in the template where it is
right now.

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CW Filtered Reports 'hang' PC

I suspect the problem is having the filter in the VIEW() structure.  IF you move your
filter to the EMBED then at least the report will go through the ACCEPT loop where you can
trap for user input.  If the VIEW() doesn't return many records, then it will just hang
the system til it finds them!

Quote:

>I just ran into what must be one of the most frustrating aspects of
>the standard CW Reports template - running a filtered report in a
>16bit CW application when the reported file is large, but the number
>of records which will be selected by the filter is small.  All Windows
>apps are effectively frozen while the CW report tries to find
>RecordsPerCycle filtered records.  Setting RecordsPerCycle to 1 helps,
>but doesn't solve the problem where the filtered records are few and
>far between.  The basic problem is the if you use a view filter, there

>Ben
>--

>Senior Systems Analyst                |
>TermNet Merchant Services, Inc.       |
>Atlanta, GA                           |

    Geoff Bomford
     ComForMark
  Sydney, Australia

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Sending Filters To a Cw Report Writer Report

2. Sending Filters To a Cw Report Writer Report

3. PC'c Hanging because of printing?

4. Filters on Runtime Index's in CW 2.0

5. Kalman Filters, Particle Filters and SVM's

6. cw 2.0003, filter box on report properties is too small, need help...mucho

7. Problem with 'filter'

8. CW's REAL and SQLAnywhere's FLOAT

9. CW Broker 'disappears'...

10. Keeping a CW App 'on top'

11. CW 'upgrades' and betas

12. CW 4.0 and 'Transaction Framing Error'