Batch File to Backup APP and DCT
Author Message
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Johan,

Try Jeff Slarve's backup utilitiy.  It saves all versions of your projects,
so you can restore whichever version you need.  It is also very fast and
does not use as much diskspace as on would think (he compress it).

Well worth it.

--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Corporation

|Hi
|After many frustrating ERRORS that caused loss of data I have written the
|following DOS batch file to try and alleviate my problems.
|After every major, or not so major change to your APP/DCT run this ARC
|program.

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Thanks Russ. Hope to make a public beta soon.

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:55:06 -0500, "Russell B. Eggen (Topspeed)"

Quote:

>Try Jeff Slarve's backup utilitiy.  It saves all versions of your projects,
>so you can restore whichever version you need.  It is also very fast and
>does not use as much diskspace as on would think (he compress it).

>Well worth it.

Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed(CW)(Compuserve)]
(CW2003, DET 2.2, RPM, PwrBrw, CPCS, PDLookup, Ultra Tree, G-Reg, etc.) Since 1991
J & S Software Co.  http://www.jssoftware.com
(CIS: 73501,1323) Using Agent 1.5 and loving it!

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Johan van Zyl wrote

Quote:

>After every major, or not so major change to your APP/DCT run this ARC
>program.

Hi Johan

You should also make TXA and TXD files and then back them up too. This
way you get two chances of recovering data. If your APP or DCT backup is
corrupted, you something else to try.

Regards
Malcolm Collett
===============
mcollett AT iafrica DOT com

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Sorry about that Jeff.  I thought it was already released.  Did not mean to
let the cat out of the bag <g>.  Guess I just added to your already full
workload!

--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Corporation

|Thanks Russ. Hope to make a public beta soon.

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

No prob, Russ. Just a matter of time anyway :-)

Quote:

>Sorry about that Jeff.  I thought it was already released.  Did not mean to
>let the cat out of the bag <g>.  Guess I just added to your already full
>workload!

Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed(CW)(Compuserve)]
(CW2003, DET 2.2, RPM, PwrBrw, CPCS, PDLookup, Ultra Tree, G-Reg, etc.) Since 1991
J & S Software Co.  http://www.jssoftware.com
(CIS: 73501,1323) Using Agent 1.5 and loving it!

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Quote:
>After many frustrating ERRORS that caused loss of data I have written the

following DOS batch file to try and alleviate my problems.<

This may be irrelevant for your purposes, but I have never had any .app or
.dct corrupted even in GPFing CW betas while developing under NT.  In the
beginning it was 1 of the 2 main reasons that I went with it.  NT and NTFS
it simply will never happen.

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Jack,
    Just my two scents... I agree that NT seems lots more stable with CW than
Windows 95 (which doesn't really need any more help in that department!), but
I'm not too sure I'd make a "never happen" statement. I've seen way too many
things that should "never happen" proudly present themselves right under my
nose! Just a very minor point... <g>

    Regards,

    kurtt

Quote:

> This may be irrelevant for your purposes, but I have never had any .app or
> .dct corrupted even in GPFing CW betas while developing under NT.  In the
> beginning it was 1 of the 2 main reasons that I went with it.  NT and NTFS
> it simply will never happen.

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

There is a good pun to made somewhere in there <g>

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:51:24 -0600, Kurt Pawlikowski

Quote:

>    Just my two scents... I agree that NT seems lots more stable with CW than
>Windows 95 (which doesn't really need any more help in that department!), but
>I'm not too sure I'd make a "never happen" statement. I've seen way too many
>things that should "never happen" proudly present themselves right under my
>nose! Just a very minor point... <g>

Jeff Slarve  [Team Topspeed(CW)(Compuserve)]
(CW2003, DET 2.2, RPM, PwrBrw, CPCS, PDLookup, Ultra Tree, G-Reg, etc.) Since 1991
J & S Software Co.  http://www.jssoftware.com
(CIS: 73501,1323) Using Agent 1.5 and loving it!

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

My brother has a problem with his WinNT system, for some reason when a print
is called across the network, the NT workstation that is printing, blows up
entirely, no warning, no error just lock up requiring shutting down the
computer. We both suspect the print driver, but this sort of thing is just
not supposed to happen with NT?

Mick

Quote:

>Jack,
>    Just my two scents... I agree that NT seems lots more stable with CW
than
>Windows 95 (which doesn't really need any more help in that department!),
but
>I'm not too sure I'd make a "never happen" statement. I've seen way too
many
>things that should "never happen" proudly present themselves right under my
>nose! Just a very minor point... <g>

>    Regards,

>    kurtt

>> This may be irrelevant for your purposes, but I have never had any .app
or
>> .dct corrupted even in GPFing CW betas while developing under NT.  In the
>> beginning it was 1 of the 2 main reasons that I went with it.  NT and
NTFS
>> it simply will never happen.

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Mick,

True, except drivers are one of the objects that sit right next to the OS
kernel and for reasons of speed are "trusted" by NT. In other words, the
driver developer is supposed to have done his/her homework before inflicting
the product on the unsuspecting masses <g!>

A regular .EXE or .DLL never gets as close in NT, which is one of the
reasons apps are portable between 95 and NT (more or less anyway). Drivers
you'll note, generally are not (especially printer drivers).

Tom Foley

Quote:

>My brother has a problem with his WinNT system, for some reason when a
print
>is called across the network, the NT workstation that is printing, blows up
>entirely, no warning, no error just lock up requiring shutting down the
>computer. We both suspect the print driver, but this sort of thing is just
>not supposed to happen with NT?

>Mick

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Quote:
> >After many frustrating ERRORS that caused loss of data I have written
the
> following DOS batch file to try and alleviate my problems.<

> This may be irrelevant for your purposes, but I have never had any .app
or
> .dct corrupted even in GPFing CW betas while developing under NT.  In the
> beginning it was 1 of the 2 main reasons that I went with it.  NT and
NTFS
> it simply will never happen.

Well, then you are so locky!! I had a big problem with CW 2.0 and GPFs, and
GPF is not the worst that happen to me. When I was restarted my computer CW
didn't want to load the APP file (recover, and last saved option didn't
work). It had happened several times, and since then I create backup of my
APP and DCT files every couple of hours (even then I must check my backup
copies). Say for example: for a week of my developing I have something
about 20-30 copies of my project.
If you or anybody else have the answer, please bring some soneshine in my
life 8-).

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Quote:
>If you or anybody else have the answer, please bring some soneshine in my

life 8-).<

    I just meant that I remember all of that misery, and I did the same
thing that you are doing.  Do you have access to NT?  If you do, set it up
NTFS.  I doubt you even need the service packs.  If you are using W95 now,
NT only takes about 4 megs more of memory, and about 50 megs more disk
space.  If you don't have access to NT, then making backups while living in
terror of a GPF is all you can do.
    I hope you're in a position to setup under NT so you can relax and focus
on programming.

Jack

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Jack,

Just a thought, but maybe you could post your experiences of upgrading to NT
(or using it instead of 95).  Might make a good article for Clarion OnLine
as this topic comes up more and more.

I doubt that those using Win 95 can get too much data <bg>.  I am sure that
many could gain based on your advice.

--
Russell B. Eggen
Topspeed Corporation

|>If you or anybody else have the answer, please bring some soneshine in my
|life 8-).<
|
|    I just meant that I remember all of that misery, and I did the same
|thing that you are doing.  Do you have access to NT?  If you do, set it up
|NTFS.  I doubt you even need the service packs.  If you are using W95 now,
|NT only takes about 4 megs more of memory, and about 50 megs more disk
|space.  If you don't have access to NT, then making backups while living in
|terror of a GPF is all you can do.
|    I hope you're in a position to setup under NT so you can relax and
focus
|on programming.
|
|Jack

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Boris and Jack,
    I would *not* suggest running NT 4.0 *without* the service packs. One of the
(I believe s/p3) corrects a file system problem (which might have been the cause
of some problems I experienced with NT workstation). Other than that, I agree
with Jack. I have had some problems (and recovering the system takes some
getting used to for an old DOS guy like me), but, hey! that's what backup's are
for!

    Regards,

    kurtt

Quote:

> >If you or anybody else have the answer, please bring some soneshine in my
> life 8-).<

>     I just meant that I remember all of that misery, and I did the same
> thing that you are doing.  Do you have access to NT?  If you do, set it up
> NTFS.  I doubt you even need the service packs.  If you are using W95 now,
> NT only takes about 4 megs more of memory, and about 50 megs more disk
> space.  If you don't have access to NT, then making backups while living in
> terror of a GPF is all you can do.
>     I hope you're in a position to setup under NT so you can relax and focus
> on programming.

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Batch File to Backup APP and DCT

Quote:
>Just a thought, but maybe you could post your experiences of upgrading to

NT
(or using it instead of 95).  Might make a good article for Clarion OnLine
as this topic comes up more and more.
I doubt that those using Win 95 can get too much data <bg>.  I am sure that
many could gain based on your advice.<

Maybe so.  I've learned a lot along the way about it, and am extreamly happy
with it as a development environment.  I'll organize some information from
the perspective.

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Zip App - Free Backup App/Dct Program

2. .APP and .DCT file formats

3. Corrupted APP and DCT file

4. Corrupted APP and DCT file

5. Browse Form Problem (With App and Dct File)

6. *.APP, *.DCT and *.TRF

7. error while importing a extaernal file into the DCT file

8. ABC Multi App Multi DCT question

9. screen saver .app and .dct on icetips

10. Writing two equal files without creating two files in dct

11. Synchronising App from one dct in a not equal other

12. DCT Password and No App but Source