Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Author Message
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?

Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is closed
or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
Both applying a record filter.
Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

No rangelimits or conditionals.

Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so slowly???

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Roel S.F. Abspoel
WKM Business Software BV.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 01 May 2005 15:44:25 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi Roel

You have to make the ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN the first element of the key your
use for the browse.
I'm guessing that your app. runs on a network. The problem is that even if
you apply a filter all records from the file (according to the key
limitations) and is first filtered on the client workstation. And it takes
time to load 10.000 records over the network.

--
Regards,

Henrik Kartin
Kartin Data
Denmark

Quote:
> Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
> 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is closed
> or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

> 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> Both applying a record filter.
> Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

> No rangelimits or conditionals.

> Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
> Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

> Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so slowly???

> --

> Met vriendelijke groet,

> Roel S.F. Abspoel
> WKM Business Software BV.

> http://www.wkm.nl/

Sun, 01 May 2005 16:25:36 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi Henrik,

It is the first (and only) element in the key im using.
Indeed it runs on a network, however the same browse works  if i filter it
for a true value it loads in 3 secs. if i filter for false it is
slooooooooow.. :(

in other words,

Record filter: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
is fast, while

Record filter: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
is terribly slow..

Quote:
> Hi Roel

> You have to make the ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN the first element of the key your
> use for the browse.
> I'm guessing that your app. runs on a network. The problem is that even if
> you apply a filter all records from the file (according to the key
> limitations) and is first filtered on the client workstation. And it takes
> time to load 10.000 records over the network.

> --
> Regards,

> Henrik Kartin
> Kartin Data
> Denmark

> > Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
> > 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is
closed
> > or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

> > 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> > Both applying a record filter.
> > Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> > Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

> > No rangelimits or conditionals.

> > Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
> > Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

> > Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so
slowly???

> > --

> > Met vriendelijke groet,

> > Roel S.F. Abspoel
> > WKM Business Software BV.

> > http://www.wkm.nl/

Sun, 01 May 2005 16:43:18 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi all,

Quote:
> 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> Both applying a record filter.
> Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

Use ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN = 0 .   I suspect the view engine does not see the
'~' as part of a key and actually filters the records (reads each record)
but will see
something like x = 0 as a simple range.

    Dennis

Sun, 01 May 2005 19:50:00 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi Roel,

Have you tried filtering for a value instead of using NOT? What i
mean, is ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN = FALSE as slow as ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN.

I ask because ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN might mean to you that the value
should be 0. But to Clarion it means the value shouldn't be the same
as 1. That leaves 255 values it has to check if you are using a byte.

Hope it works,

Adriaan

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:43:18 +0100, "Roel S.F. Abspoel"

Quote:

>Hi Henrik,

>It is the first (and only) element in the key im using.
>Indeed it runs on a network, however the same browse works  if i filter it
>for a true value it loads in 3 secs. if i filter for false it is
>slooooooooow.. :(

>in other words,

>Record filter: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
>is fast, while

>Record filter: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
>is terribly slow..

>> Hi Roel

>> You have to make the ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN the first element of the key your
>> use for the browse.
>> I'm guessing that your app. runs on a network. The problem is that even if
>> you apply a filter all records from the file (according to the key
>> limitations) and is first filtered on the client workstation. And it takes
>> time to load 10.000 records over the network.

>> --
>> Regards,

>> Henrik Kartin
>> Kartin Data
>> Denmark

>> > Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
>> > 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is
>closed
>> > or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

>> > 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
>> > Both applying a record filter.
>> > Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
>> > Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

>> > No rangelimits or conditionals.

>> > Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
>> > Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

>> > Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so
>slowly???

>> > --

>> > Met vriendelijke groet,

>> > Roel S.F. Abspoel
>> > WKM Business Software BV.

>> > http://www.wkm.nl/

Remove geenSPAM from address to reply

Sun, 01 May 2005 20:18:04 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi there ,

Assumtions I have made

  U are Filtering the records
  u are using Page Loaded Browse Box

from these I deduce the following

the delay happens becuase you are filtering , depending on where in
the file the records are that will pass ur filter,this page can take a
while to build if all the records that get through ur filter are at
the bottom of the key you are browsing on, or just few and far between
as before the browse loads it tries an get a full page(which can take
a awhile)using filters , a solution would be to put a key on
ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN (Include Nulls) and rangelimt the data on this , if
you need locators on a other fields then add compound keys with this
field(ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) as the primary element of the key this will
sort out your speed issues :)
HTH
Regards Miguel

Quote:
> Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
> 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is closed
> or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

> 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> Both applying a record filter.
> Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

> No rangelimits or conditionals.

> Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
> Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

> Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so slowly???

> --

> Met vriendelijke groet,

> Roel S.F. Abspoel
> WKM Business Software BV.

> http://www.wkm.nl/

Sun, 01 May 2005 21:40:48 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Changed the sort order in the key to descending.. all is fine now...
Beats the ... out of me..

Thanks for the help all :)

Quote:
> Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
> 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is closed
> or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

> 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> Both applying a record filter.
> Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

> No rangelimits or conditionals.

> Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
> Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

> Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so slowly???

> --

> Met vriendelijke groet,

> Roel S.F. Abspoel
> WKM Business Software BV.

> http://www.wkm.nl/

Sun, 01 May 2005 20:40:43 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Why do you us efiltering? Browse list-s work lots faster with range limits
usualy. Point is that screen 1 loads in 30 seconds becouse it takes hi that
long to loop an cycle all filtered records.
If you use range limit, first read record will be in the browse and it will
take a second to open...

Quote:
> Topspeed table, Aprox. 10.000 records
> 1 record (ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN) is a Byte indicating if the record is closed
> or not. (0 is active 1 is closed)

> 2 default browse windows, sorting the table on a key on that record.
> Both applying a record filter.
> Screen 1: ~ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN
> Screen 2: ACT:ACT_AFGESLOTEN

> No rangelimits or conditionals.

> Screen 2 loads in 2 secs.
> Screen 1 loads in 30 - 60 secs.

> Rebuild keys and indexes, no change.. Why is screen 1 loading so slowly???

> --

> Met vriendelijke groet,

> Roel S.F. Abspoel
> WKM Business Software BV.

> http://www.wkm.nl/

Mon, 02 May 2005 04:44:50 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?

Quote:

> Why do you us efiltering? Browse list-s work lots faster with range limits
> usualy

Painfully true....

It isnt documented as such, but prop:filter (see what the templates
generate) causes the app to read the whole file. It also appears that using
"File relationship" generates a prop:filter, so if you use it, you need to
supplement it with an embed in the range limit area or go get a cup of
coffee when you open a screen with a number of child browses.

Took 2 days of testing and waddling around in the de{*filter*}, plus Scott
Sheen's help to figure that out since it wasnt documented as such.

--
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear

Sun, 01 May 2005 22:38:12 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?
Hi all,

Quote:

> It isnt documented as such, but prop:filter (see what the templates
> generate) causes the app to read the whole file. It also appears that
using
> "File relationship" generates a prop:filter, so if you use it, you need to
> supplement it with an embed in the range limit area or go get a cup of
> coffee when you open a screen with a number of child browses.

   Legacy?   ABC uses prop:filter for range limits and filters.  Range
limits first then filters.

        Dennis

Mon, 02 May 2005 07:52:57 GMT
 Topspeed DB - Record Filter slow down ?!?

Quote:

> Legacy?   ABC uses prop:filter for range limits and filters.  Range
> limits first then filters.

Yes.

--
Mark Riffey
Granite Bear

Mon, 02 May 2005 01:08:17 GMT

1. Record Filter slows down Browse Window ???

2. fast.db slow.db question

3. Topspeed vs Unix Based DB

4. db files to topspeed

5. Ajuba bug DB down?

6. vw2.5 sometimes slows down when large

7. MTIMER slows PB down

8. global floating windows slow down graphics?

9. Slow down utility ???

10. Super security slows down

11. Dynamically Filtering a Drop Down Combo

12. Help needed on drop down combo filter problem