MultiProject filenames
Author Message
 MultiProject filenames

I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not!

But why does MP limit filenames for 32 bit projects to 8 characters? Anyone
know?

I am particularly intrigued since I am using MP (C6 version) which is for 32
bit apps only anyway and I thought 32 bits could have long filenames.
--
Thank you

John Fligg
C55EE, ABC only, C55g, C6EA4

Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:32:33 GMT
 MultiProject filenames
Hi John,

Quote:
> I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not!

> But why does MP limit filenames for 32 bit projects to 8 characters?
Anyone
> know?

probably an old restriction.
Nevertheless while almost all apps I've seen work fnie as long file names
(in clarion), I have seen some cases where the long name caused much wailing
and gnashing of teeth.  In one case a programmer went over a week unable to
do as much as compile the app and eventually discovered it came right when
changing the app to 8 chars.

A week wasted for him (although not a little relief at being able to
continue I must say) - and I wonder if having long names is really worth it.

ie if you adopt the approach that "if it might be broken then it probably
is" and code accordingly, 99% of the time you'll be wrong (but so what) - 1%
of the time you'll be right though and save yourself some pain.

another example is the location of clarion on your hard drive.  Clarion
defaults to c55. (or Clarion6). I've seen folks install it into cw55, cw60,
C6 and all other flavours.  But I'm thinking "you know what - they tested
with C55, all the 3rd parties tested with C55, the one that is likely is to
cause the _least_ problems is C55 - I'm gonna install into C55 and let some
other slob figure out that it doesn't work when installed into Clarion55

Quote:
> I am particularly intrigued since I am using MP (C6 version) which is for
32
> bit apps only anyway and I thought 32 bits could have long filenames.

The MP Manager app was compiled ages ago, and as far as I know hasn't
specifically been updated for Clarion 6 yet...(Although I'm not expecting
too many problems...)

Cheers
Bruce

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:56:37 GMT
 MultiProject filenames
Hi Bruce,

Geez, you're being incredibly practical here aren't you?! <bg>
 Actually, I agree 100%.  While there are valid reasons for installing
Clarion or other software into directories other than the default, I
think mosttimes it's done just because an individual wants to be
different and has "their own way" of doing things.  And while I'm slowly
becoming a convert to the CajunVariableNamingConvention, I still use
8-char _file_ names in almost all cases.  The reality is that software
developers, whether SoftVelocity, Capesoft or Microsoft, simply cannot
test or foresee every possibility, so the simple solution for any but
the most demanding situation is to just do the obvious and install stuff
the way you know it was designed (and for us developers, tyy to design
the way it is most likely to be used).  And if that just won't work for
a particular situation, you should: a) don't be surprised when you run
into problems, and b) be sure to disclose your particular (peculiar)
setup when seeking support for the problems you run into.

Ask for trouble, and you will probably get it. ;)

Ramon
----

Quote:

>Hi John,

>>I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not!

>>But why does MP limit filenames for 32 bit projects to 8 characters?

>Anyone

>>know?

>probably an old restriction.
>Nevertheless while almost all apps I've seen work fnie as long file names
>(in clarion), I have seen some cases where the long name caused much wailing
>and gnashing of teeth.  In one case a programmer went over a week unable to
>do as much as compile the app and eventually discovered it came right when
>changing the app to 8 chars.

>A week wasted for him (although not a little relief at being able to
>continue I must say) - and I wonder if having long names is really worth it.

>ie if you adopt the approach that "if it might be broken then it probably
>is" and code accordingly, 99% of the time you'll be wrong (but so what) - 1%
>of the time you'll be right though and save yourself some pain.

>another example is the location of clarion on your hard drive.  Clarion
>defaults to c55. (or Clarion6). I've seen folks install it into cw55, cw60,
>C6 and all other flavours.  But I'm thinking "you know what - they tested
>with C55, all the 3rd parties tested with C55, the one that is likely is to
>cause the _least_ problems is C55 - I'm gonna install into C55 and let some
>other slob figure out that it doesn't work when installed into Clarion55

>>I am particularly intrigued since I am using MP (C6 version) which is for

>32

>>bit apps only anyway and I thought 32 bits could have long filenames.

>The MP Manager app was compiled ages ago, and as far as I know hasn't
>specifically been updated for Clarion 6 yet...(Although I'm not expecting
>too many problems...)

>Cheers
>Bruce

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:58:53 GMT
 MultiProject filenames

Quote:
> Ask for trouble, and you will probably get it. ;)

Exactly !! - I think I might steal this line <g>...

I had to laugh the otehr day - 'cause I'm just as guilty of this - I watched
a guy install software that he knew absolutly nothing about. When the
install asked for a "typical" or "custom" install he clicked on "custom"....
who of us hasn't done that at some point. Then the install is asking all
kinds of questions that are "way too hard" - and the software is critisised
for being "hard to use" <g>...

Cheers
Bruce

Quote:
> [...]

> >another example is the location of clarion on your hard drive.  Clarion
> >defaults to c55. (or Clarion6). I've seen folks install it into cw55,
cw60,
> >C6 and all other flavours.  But I'm thinking "you know what - they tested
> >with C55, all the 3rd parties tested with C55, the one that is likely is
> >cause the _least_ problems is C55 - I'm gonna install into C55 and let
some
> >other slob figure out that it doesn't work when installed into Clarion55

> >>I am particularly intrigued since I am using MP (C6 version) which is
for

> >32

> >>bit apps only anyway and I thought 32 bits could have long filenames.

> >The MP Manager app was compiled ages ago, and as far as I know hasn't
> >specifically been updated for Clarion 6 yet...(Although I'm not expecting

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:52:46 GMT
 MultiProject filenames
On Mon, 26 May 2003 17:52:46 +0200, "Bruce Johnson"

Quote:

>I had to laugh the otehr day - 'cause I'm just as guilty of this - I watched
>a guy install software that he knew absolutly nothing about. When the
>install asked for a "typical" or "custom" install he clicked on "custom"....
>who of us hasn't done that at some point. Then the install is asking all
>kinds of questions that are "way too hard" - and the software is critisised
>for being "hard to use" <g>...

I nearly always choose Custom. Then I go through and click on all the
little checkboxes and thingies to see if they make anything else
appear. When I get to the end of all the questions I almost always
cancel out and restart doing a standard install. But at least then I
have a little bit of an idea what custom will do for me... and I get
to play with all the little switches and gizmo's.

Best Regards
Richard

The AppInit Template Set

www.sylkie.com

"Strip mine asteroids not rain forests!"

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:52:21 GMT

1. Problem using Locus Template with MultiProject

2. How to Specify Variable FileName(!FileName)In Report

3. Using variable filename(!FILENAME)

4. Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???

5. REQUIRES filename (NEEDS filename)

6. DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

7. Library os.path.isfile(filename) - long filenames error.

8. Adding PC Filename Extensions to Macintosh Filenames

9. Urgent Help on Deleting a filename using tcl (script) in an application (without using rm filename (in unix))

10. argv filename for J7

11. Need advice on ObjectStudio: Filename length restrictions??

12. Filename named