HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!
Author Message
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I
only wish I knew.  I tried all of his favorite words, but I guess he
can't spell or just won't tell me what it is.  Fujitsu was gracious
enough to say they don't give out the fixes over the phone.  I checked
the CMOS batter for jumpers to short the battery or a removable
battery and neither are an option.  I finally complained enough to a
supervisor that they sent me a debug script to drain the CMOS.  Well,
what they didn't tell me was how to get it to execute.  It's a debug
script and I can't access the dos prompt because of the password. So,
to any of you techies, how do I run a debug script on this thing if I
can't access the a: or c:?

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

<<I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I
only wish I knew.  I tried all of his favorite words, but I guess he
can't spell or just won't tell me what it is.  Fujitsu was gracious
enough to say they don't give out the fixes over the phone.  I checked
the CMOS batter for jumpers to short the battery or a removable
battery and neither are an option.  I finally complained enough to a
supervisor that they sent me a debug script to drain the CMOS.  Well,
what they didn't tell me was how to get it to execute.  It's a debug
script and I can't access the dos prompt because of the password. So,
to any of you techies, how do I run a debug script on this thing if I
can't access the a: or c:?>>

Ever tried to swim up Niagra Falls?

Seriously though, call them and ask (or look in user's manual) for all
jumper settings, there has to be somekind of removable or jumperable
battery settings on this labtop (either a small watch kind of battery or

terrible design and then take it to the press (or at least threaten)  this
will usually make them act..

HTH!

David Ralston

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Hi Jeff,

1.)  Try contacting an outfit that builds PC's or laptops there should be a
jumper on the mother board that will reset the BIOS. However that does mean
RESET.  (A Business 800 Directory should help, The 'Net etc.)

I hope you kept a record of all your BIOS settings.  If you did then the
reset will work fine.

2.)  String is a great tool for restricting 18-month old fingers -
especially when tied to the leg of a table or chair. (OK you guys - Just
Joking...) Seriously Jeff the string works wonders.

3.) As a last resort you could get in touch with Phoenix or ANY BIOS
manufacturer.

HTH

Zorgat

PS Send E-mail if you need some string.

Quote:
> I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
> problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I
> only wish I knew.  I tried all of his favorite words, but I guess he
> can't spell or just won't tell me what it is.  Fujitsu was gracious
> enough to say they don't give out the fixes over the phone.  I checked
> the CMOS batter for jumpers to short the battery or a removable
> battery and neither are an option.  I finally complained enough to a
> supervisor that they sent me a debug script to drain the CMOS.  Well,
> what they didn't tell me was how to get it to execute.  It's a debug
> script and I can't access the dos prompt because of the password. So,
> to any of you techies, how do I run a debug script on this thing if I
> can't access the a: or c:?

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Hi Jeff,

Quote:

>I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
>problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I
>script and I can't access the dos prompt because of the password. So,
>to any of you techies, how do I run a debug script on this thing if I
>can't access the a: or c:?

That's a tough one!  My suggestion is that you unplug it from the main
el. let it stew for the next 18 months - by wich time you'll probably
have another 18 month-old<g>

Seriously, I can't see a way around this, unless you drain the battery
somehow to clear the cmos.  You won't be able to access the diskette
since apparently you can't bypass the password at startup?  I'm almost
ashamed to admit that I have the same problem with my computer as
several months ago I put a password to the setup and... forgot it<g>
I installed more memory the other week and it keeps telling me the
cmos memory is wrong...  Guess I have to bring the screwdriver out and
short it;)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

G'day Jeff!

Quote:

>I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
>problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.

Ouch ... looks like you maiden other boat anchor <vvbg>
--
Steve Greenwood
HiCaliber Software

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Quote:

> terrible design and then take it to the press (or at least threaten)

Probably not. I know that Gateway's policy on this is VERY strict. The
whole point of it is to secure the notebook from an unauthorized user. With
the high volume of laptop theft, it only makes sense to require that it be
done in-house and then shipped back to the original owner. To do otherwise
would invite some REALLY bad press.

Steve
--
Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Take it apart and locate the cmos battery and remove it for a little while,
that will allow the cmos information including the password to be dumped
and then you can start over.

Dave Hult

Quote:

> >I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
> >problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

You need to open the laptop and unplug the system battery for a few
seconds.  Best take it to a techi for this!\

Regards,
--
Nathan van den Berg

http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/hills/6606

Quote:
> G'day Jeff!

> >I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
> >problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.

> Ouch ... looks like you maiden other boat anchor <vvbg>
> --
> Steve Greenwood
> HiCaliber Software

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Don't quote me on this but...
If you can get a hardware guy to unsolder the bater from the mother board,
I believe the CMOS has to reset.

Mick

Quote:
> <<I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
> problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I
> only wish I knew.  I tried all of his favorite words, but I guess he

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Hi Dave,

Quote:
>Take it apart and locate the cmos battery and remove it for a little while,
>that will allow the cmos information including the password to be dumped
>and then you can start over.

I don't know about labtops, but a lot of desktop computers have
soldered batteries, that are not so easily unplugged;)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

but a lot of desktop computers have

Quote:
>soldered batteries, that are not so easily unplugged;)

Arnor,

  Most of the newer motherboards for desktops have a jumper which
when removed and the system restarted will refresh the bios back to
system settings.

Mike Gould

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Hi Mike,

Quote:

>>soldered batteries, that are not so easily unplugged;)
>  Most of the newer motherboards for desktops have a jumper which
>when removed and the system restarted will refresh the bios back to
>system settings.

Thank God for some new advanced technology<g>  My motherboard has no
such features, so I'll have to short the external battery connector to
clear the cmos and start over.  Fortunately I have all the relevant
setting someplace - just to remember to print it before I short it<g>

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Ok guys, let's not get short-sighted here. I'd suggest email to

Larry Craddock

Quote:

>G'day Jeff!

>>I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
>>problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.

>Ouch ... looks like you maiden other boat anchor <vvbg>
>--
>Steve Greenwood
>HiCaliber Software

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Hi Larry,

Quote:
>Ok guys, let's not get short-sighted here. I'd suggest email to

I'd very much doubt if they would tell him - not right away, unless he
could prove his ownership of that particular computer;)

Best regards,

|                     Arnor Baldvinsson                            |
| Mail address:  Naestrupvej 44, Sjorring, 7700 Thisted, Denmark   |
| e-mail:                     Web sites:                           |

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP me solve my 18 month-old problem!!!

Quote:
>I have a Fujitsu Laptop with phoneix 4.05 notebook bios.  The only
>problem, my 18 month-old set the bios password.  Don't ask me how.  I

I tried everything.  Fujitsu was pretty good after I got to a
supervisor.  He against his better judgement gave me every password he
could think of and none of them worked.  He suggested that there was a
Phoenix backdoor, but he didn't know it.  They did everything they
could and even waived the $150 (can you believe it) charge to reset
the CMOS.  He told me they have to take the whole thing apart to get
to the cmos chip and replace it.  The techs that do it have a big
garbage can filled with CMOS chips.  They obviously don't throw them
away, but it's faster than unsoldering the battery.  There are no
jumpers to short the battery and that sucker is soldered in.  If I
were to try and unsolder it, etc.  Well, you guessed it, no more
warranty.

Hopefully they got it today and will get it back to me by Friday.
What a PITA, but I'm glad 'cause maybe if mine gets stolen it's only a
phone call away from return.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. 10 SMALLTALK VISUALWORKS DEVELOPERS REQUIRED - Contract 18 months

2. US-NYC - VisualWorks consultant developer - 12-18 month contract - Brokerage

3. 18 month Contract, Cobol, Telon, Cics, db2 No Jersey

4. Telon, Cobol, Cics, Db2 Consultant needed 18 months No. Jersey

5. New York City -- CICS Internals, 18 month project

6. ****** NEW RELEASE SOLVES OLD PROBLEMS! ******

7. Help hiring 18 ASIC & CAD ENG

8. Problems g77-0.5.18/gcc-2.7.2 on AIX 3.2.2

9. tclkit 8.4-18 runtime problems on solaris 2.6

10. HTML Help problem solved

11. Need BIGTIME expert help to solve problem (READ THIS PLEASE)