Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser
Author Message
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

We all new that Topspeed should not tie up resources with Internet Connect,
as the technology to run applications over the net would be solved.

Have a look at http://www.*-*-*.com/ . They claim ANY exe can be run in an
IE4 Web Browser.

I tried it with a Clarion program and it works! Look at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Steve O.

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Steve,

Thanks for the pointer.  I'm checking it out now too.
I can see the advantages already...
- No special Server
- No Changes from the regular app.
- and $249 for the Pro Version

I agree with what you are saying.  I haven't touched internet connect yet.
--
Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com
http://www.sb.net/amerisft/

Quote:

>We all new that Topspeed should not tie up resources with Internet Connect,
>as the technology to run applications over the net would be solved.

>Have a look at http://www.tegosoft.com. They claim ANY exe can be run in an
>IE4 Web Browser.

>I tried it with a Clarion program and it works! Look at
>http://www.gulfmall.com/hexexe/hexedit.htm.

>Steve O.

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Hi Steve,

Quote:
>We all new that Topspeed should not tie up resources with Internet Connect,
>as the technology to run applications over the net would be solved.

>Have a look at http://www.tegosoft.com. They claim ANY exe can be run in an
>IE4 Web Browser.

>I tried it with a Clarion program and it works! Look at
>http://www.gulfmall.com/hexexe/hexedit.htm.

Hmm...  What about the 75% or so that don't use IE4.0?<g>

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
[Team Topspeed - Internet Connect]
Allerup Edb
Denmark

http://www.icetips.com
UIN nr.: 2428601

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

have users hit their F5 key in any field and have an ASCII symbol appear.
Have asked before, but no suggestions... too easy or too hard???

Please help if you can.  Thanks.

Don

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Steve,
You are right, I just downloaded and created an app from one of my
small clarion programs.  I have not uploaded it to my web site, but
runing it locally worked perfectly.

Thanks for sharing this, it opens up a whole new world of possible
stuff.

Don Harvey
Mo-Ark Truck Services
www.moark.com

Quote:
>We all new that Topspeed should not tie up resources with Internet Connect,
>as the technology to run applications over the net would be solved.

>Have a look at http://www.tegosoft.com. They claim ANY exe can be run in an
>IE4 Web Browser.

>I tried it with a Clarion program and it works! Look at
>http://www.gulfmall.com/hexexe/hexedit.htm.

>Steve O.

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Quote:

> I tried it with a Clarion program and it works!

    It seems to be IE specific.

    Any idea how to make it access data?

 - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Quote:
> They claim ANY exe can be run in an IE4 Web Browser.

IE 4 kind of limits the places that can run.  I guess the company
developed this software so they would be bought up by Bill and he could
use the technology to continue to take over the internet.<vbg>  I just
tried to login in with my preferred browser Netscape and of course it
would not run.  The product uses ActiveX which in MHO much more evil
than the Java stuff that CWIC uses.  Also CWIC can easily be made
Caffeine Free check out http://www.cwsuperpage.com/kb and when a CWIC
app is Caffeine Free it can run fast on Mac, Unix, Windows and of
course the Palm Pilot <g>.

It was really funny, when CWIC came out I messed with the betas and
wrote it off for several reasons.  Now that it has been released the
more and more Tony and I mess with the code the more and more
impressive it is.  CWIC is an amazing product.  The one stumbling block
is the speed of Java issue.  But Tony has solved that with a
replacement HTMLListBox class.  So we can develop a standard window EXE
in CW and just specify CWIC to use Tony's HTMLListBox and our apps run
full speed on the internet even in low bandwidth locations.

I'll try your link from another machine.  It will be interesting to see
what they have done.  I assume it is very much like CWIC in that it
will fire up an instance of the EXE for every connection.  So the
developer does not need to worry about the connection state.

Later,

Troy
---------------------------------------
Counselor Troy [TTS net]
www.cwsuperpage.com
**Check out the CWSuperKB at http://www.cwsuperpage.com/kb **

To reply via email remove QWERTY from my email address

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Quote:
> It will be interesting to see
> what they have done.  I assume it is very much like CWIC in that it
> will fire up an instance of the EXE for every connection.

    It looks and smells like a Clarion app at full speed.

    I ran a program with an animated GIF showing a cloaking Klingon
ship.  All the speed was there.  And I drug MDI child windows around in
real time too.

    Haven't figured out how to make it read data yet.  The demo is free
for 30 days.  Sales price is under $90 for the regular version, pro is
under $300.

    If you're looking for an app for everyone, it is the wrong tool.
But if you're audience is captive, it looks very good.

 - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Quote:

> Hmm...  What about the 75% or so that don't use IE4.0?<g>

Yet!  Just wait - Uncle Bill will eventually own the rest of us as well
<BG>.

Seriously, Bill's share of the Browser market keeps going up and up.
Netscape has given up completely and other vendors are no contest.  In
spite of the US Justice department, eventually IE will become one with
the desktop and the "Browser Wars" will be over.  It's just a matter of
time.  Incidentally, last time I saw any figures, IE was about 40% of
the market and rising.  Netscape was around 50% and falling rapidly.

Al

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Hello Andrew,

It is IE specific, I have tested it with IE3 and IE4 and it works fine. I
have been talking with the Folks at TegoSoft and they have a method of
accessing ODBC data directly from the server without having to install ODBC
on the client!

I have the full package and will report on data access methods as soon as I
have time to look at them.

In the short term, for those that supply data with CW programs, you can
package up the TPS files along with EXE and DLLs and send the whole thing to
the client.

The downloader is real smart. I installed a VB app with big runtimes and
OCXs on my server and went home, selected the app (I already had all this
stuff on my home computer) and the only thing that was downloaded was the
25k VB exe.

You can try a CW4b example at http://www.gulfmall.com/hexexe/hexedit.htm. It
should download very fast if you have CW4b on your computer.

Steve O.

Quote:

>> I tried it with a Clarion program and it works!

>    It seems to be IE specific.

>    Any idea how to make it access data?

> - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

>Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
>http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Troy,

I'm no fan of Microsoft, however most of my customers are. I'm not writing
things for the general public, so I can dictate IE for the web browser.

You are right, CWIC is a neat product, however every customer that I had try
it, said it was unacceptably slow and caused browser lockups. I'm sure this
is not Topspeed's fault, Java is just not mature enough yet.

On the other hand, downloading an EXE to a client's computer (most of them
have PII-300mhz which is more horsepower than I have) works well. Every time
they launch the program the downloader will check to make sure they have the
latest copy. I like that control.

Steve O.

Quote:

>> They claim ANY exe can be run in an IE4 Web Browser.

>IE 4 kind of limits the places that can run.  I guess the company
>developed this software so they would be bought up by Bill and he could
>use the technology to continue to take over the internet.<vbg>  I just
>tried to login in with my preferred browser Netscape and of course it
>would not run.  The product uses ActiveX which in MHO much more evil
>than the Java stuff that CWIC uses.  Also CWIC can easily be made
>Caffeine Free check out http://www.cwsuperpage.com/kb and when a CWIC
>app is Caffeine Free it can run fast on Mac, Unix, Windows and of
>course the Palm Pilot <g>.

>It was really funny, when CWIC came out I messed with the betas and
>wrote it off for several reasons.  Now that it has been released the
>more and more Tony and I mess with the code the more and more
>impressive it is.  CWIC is an amazing product.  The one stumbling block
>is the speed of Java issue.  But Tony has solved that with a
>replacement HTMLListBox class.  So we can develop a standard window EXE
>in CW and just specify CWIC to use Tony's HTMLListBox and our apps run
>full speed on the internet even in low bandwidth locations.

>I'll try your link from another machine.  It will be interesting to see
>what they have done.  I assume it is very much like CWIC in that it
>will fire up an instance of the EXE for every connection.  So the
>developer does not need to worry about the connection state.

>Later,

>Troy
>---------------------------------------
>Counselor Troy [TTS net]
>www.cwsuperpage.com
>**Check out the CWSuperKB at http://www.cwsuperpage.com/kb **

>To reply via email remove QWERTY from my email address

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

Quote:

> I have the full package and will report on data access methods as soon as I
> have time to look at them.

    IMO, that is the main issue.  If I can't access my TPS files on the
server from the client, then it doesn't help me.  I would prefer to use the
native drivers rather than ODBC.

    I think the fact that it does all the screen stuff is kewl though.  Let
me know what you find out about the data access.

 - Andrew Guidroz II (GeeTroze)

Every pint bottle should contain a quart.
http://www.coonass.com  SnowDog Software

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Run Clarion Programs Inside Of IE4 Browser

This is so cool !!!
Thanks for the scoop Steve. I still have to investigate a bit more but it
seems to be much easier to use than IC.
Best regards,

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 27 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. looking for library function browser to run inside (x)emacs

2. invoking browser from inside Tcl program

3. VRML Browsers to read JAVA in IE4 ?

4. Running programs from inside XINU

5. How to: run external Prolog program from inside interpreter

6. Tcl/Tk scripts run inside C program

7. How to run programs using pygame inside python's IDE

8. MKDIR from inside a Clarion program

9. Opening a browser from a Clarion program

10. Problem running Clarion DOS program on Windows NT

11. Running a Clarion program as an NT service

12. DOS (Clarion) Programs won't run on Pentium II or III