Read from a dBase.IV file
Author Message
 Read from a dBase.IV file

I am missing something really basic here.  Using C5.5-H
I need to read records from a dBase.IV file. I used the File Import
Utility to create the file in the Dictionary and am able to browse the
file
Oh, there is no index defined for the file so I browse in "arrival
sequence", which is OK with me.

The application is multi-dll with all of the files and globals defined
in FileGlbl.dll.
The Programmer's guide says  to remove RI-code in the transaction
frame whenusing the dBase.IV driver, which I've done.  I've also
defined the file as not to be created and defered open.
The application generates OK but the compile fails with 2 errors
concernging the each reference to the dBase.IV file
        Open(DB4FILE)
        Syntax error:No matching protype available
        Syntax Error;: unknown identifier: DB4FILE
        same with Set(), Next() and Close()

Looking at the FileGlbl.dll source code there is a file declaration
for the DB4FILE.  There is no reference to the DB4FILE in the app that
will read the file -- however it does appear in the list of files
shown in the Global Properties - Individual File OverRides.  I have
done a Regen-ALL for the app to read the dBase.IV file and still no
luck.

What have I failed to do to make this file visible to the using
application?

Thanks for the help
Guy

B.I.S.Inc

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:37:46 GMT
 Read from a dBase.IV file
HI Guy
 did you rebuild FileGlbl.dll  after adding the file to the dct ?

Charles

Quote:
> I am missing something really basic here.  Using C5.5-H
> I need to read records from a dBase.IV file. I used the File Import
> Utility to create the file in the Dictionary and am able to browse the
> file
> Oh, there is no index defined for the file so I browse in "arrival
> sequence", which is OK with me.

> The application is multi-dll with all of the files and globals defined
> in FileGlbl.dll.
> The Programmer's guide says  to remove RI-code in the transaction
> frame whenusing the dBase.IV driver, which I've done.  I've also
> defined the file as not to be created and defered open.
> The application generates OK but the compile fails with 2 errors
> concernging the each reference to the dBase.IV file
> Open(DB4FILE)
> Syntax error:No matching protype available
> Syntax Error;: unknown identifier: DB4FILE
> same with Set(), Next() and Close()

> Looking at the FileGlbl.dll source code there is a file declaration
> for the DB4FILE.  There is no reference to the DB4FILE in the app that
> will read the file -- however it does appear in the list of files
> shown in the Global Properties - Individual File OverRides.  I have
> done a Regen-ALL for the app to read the dBase.IV file and still no
> luck.

> What have I failed to do to make this file visible to the using
> application?

> Thanks for the help
> Guy

> B.I.S.Inc

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:49:59 GMT
 Read from a dBase.IV file
Hi Charles -
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have re-gen'd and compiled  all of the apps to reflect the
change in the dictionary.  So long as I don't reference the DB4FILE
(open, close, etc) everything gens and compiles OK. Looking at the
FileGlbl.dll source code I see the DB4FILE defined along with all of
the other files.
The error is at compile time, not link-time so there is a missing
reference to the the file in the reading app somehow that leaves it
out of the "main" procedure for the app.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:49:59 -0400, "Charles Maples"

Quote:

>HI Guy
> did you rebuild FileGlbl.dll  after adding the file to the dct ?

B.I.S.Inc

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:18:51 GMT
 Read from a dBase.IV file
I found an answer and thought I should share it.
I have been "manually" opening the file and reading the first record
in the file in a preliminary procedure to be sure the records in the
file are applicable, if so I call a Process that goes through the
file.  I defined the process indicating the DB4FILE a sthe primary
file.  I can then go back to the preliminary and "manually" open the
file and the    Open(DB4FILE)   compiles OK.

The Process opened the DB4FILE which was seen and caused the DB4FILE
to be added to the Default.clw module, then my "manual open" is
dealing with a file that the application recognized.  I suppose if I
were into manual procedures I'd have known what to do.

Anyhow, I'm back on track.
- - - - - -

Quote:
>I am missing something really basic here.  Using C5.5-H
>I need to read records from a dBase.IV file. I used the File Import
>Utility to create the file in the Dictionary and am able to browse the
>file
>Oh, there is no index defined for the file so I browse in "arrival
>sequence", which is OK with me.

>The application is multi-dll with all of the files and globals defined
>in FileGlbl.dll.
>The Programmer's guide says  to remove RI-code in the transaction
>frame whenusing the dBase.IV driver, which I've done.  I've also
>defined the file as not to be created and defered open.
>The application generates OK but the compile fails with 2 errors
>concernging the each reference to the dBase.IV file
>    Open(DB4FILE)
>    Syntax error:No matching protype available
>    Syntax Error;: unknown identifier: DB4FILE
>    same with Set(), Next() and Close()

>Looking at the FileGlbl.dll source code there is a file declaration
>for the DB4FILE.  There is no reference to the DB4FILE in the app that
>will read the file -- however it does appear in the list of files
>shown in the Global Properties - Individual File OverRides.  I have
>done a Regen-ALL for the app to read the dBase.IV file and still no
>luck.

>What have I failed to do to make this file visible to the using
>application?

>Thanks for the help
>Guy

>B.I.S.Inc

B.I.S.Inc

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:38:48 GMT

1. Converting dBase III to dBase IV files ?

2. Converting from DBase III to DBase IV and RDD

3. Converting dBase lll to dBase IV

4. URGENT: dBase IV File Driver Problems

5. dBase 3 / IV & Clipper files

6. Summer '87 Dbase IV Files

7. Q: NTX files in dBase IV?

8. Help: Using dBase IV files in Clipper

9. DBASEIII OR DBASE IV FILE

10. dBaseIII or dBase IV file handler

11. Unable to read dbf file as dbase file

12. Reading PRO-IV isam files with C lang.