Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
Author Message
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

Hi, I have a Clarion 5 Application which retrieves its data from a
Microsoft SQL server. When I run a big process on a file it takes
about 10 seconds on the Win98 machine, on the XP machine it takes
about 2 minutes.
Both machines have the same version of the ODBC driver for SQL, same
settings...

It's a 32-bit application..

Question is... How is this possible?

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:58:15 GMT
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
Barry,

Try turning off the System Restore feature. It just might help.

--
  Best regards,
  Vadim Berman

Quote:
> Hi, I have a Clarion 5 Application which retrieves its data from a
> Microsoft SQL server. When I run a big process on a file it takes
> about 10 seconds on the Win98 machine, on the XP machine it takes
> about 2 minutes.
> Both machines have the same version of the ODBC driver for SQL, same
> settings...

> It's a 32-bit application..

> Question is... How is this possible?

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:47:50 GMT
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
Barry,

This is close to what I have settled for, as normal, with XP.  It's a
dog when performing any disk read/writes.  I hope someone has the
answer, but I believe it has a lot to do with the threading issue that
should be solved with 6 point.

Rich

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:52:54 GMT
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
Barry;

I'm not sure that it will help your particular situation, but, you never
know. Have a look at the web site
http://www.blackviper.com/ and link to the section Windows XP Services on
the side bar. This guy is very opinionated and can get on your nerves in
that respect, but he's done an amazing amount of research on which services
are unnecessary on Win XP. Read carefully, however. I did not disable every
service that he recommended. Disabling some services (such as Windows
Messenger) also can prevent the underlying API from working. After
researching Black Viper and disabling quite a large number of services, my
machine ran noticably faster.

My .02

Greg

Quote:
> Hi, I have a Clarion 5 Application which retrieves its data from a
> Microsoft SQL server. When I run a big process on a file it takes
> about 10 seconds on the Win98 machine, on the XP machine it takes
> about 2 minutes.
> Both machines have the same version of the ODBC driver for SQL, same
> settings...

> It's a 32-bit application..

> Question is... How is this possible?

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:52:23 GMT
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
Turn off file indexing.

If you are not using logout/commit, that will make a huge difference.

But, the bottom line is, XP is significantly slower.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
> Hi, I have a Clarion 5 Application which retrieves its data from a
> Microsoft SQL server. When I run a big process on a file it takes
> about 10 seconds on the Win98 machine, on the XP machine it takes
> about 2 minutes.
> Both machines have the same version of the ODBC driver for SQL, same
> settings...

> It's a 32-bit application..

> Question is... How is this possible?

Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:25:38 GMT
 Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP
My experience with XP is the opposite when it comes to disk
read/writes , thats the only thing i miss about it , had to go back to
98 of other reasons.

Quote:
>Barry,

>This is close to what I have settled for, as normal, with XP.  It's a
>dog when performing any disk read/writes.  I hope someone has the
>answer, but I believe it has a lot to do with the threading issue that
>should be solved with 6 point.

>Rich

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:23:31 GMT

1. Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

2. clarion for dos apps & windows 98

3. Running Clarion on for DOS apps with Windows XP

4. AdaGIDE 7.00 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)

5. Windows 98 and CW2003 app - problem!!

6. Clipper App causes other applications to run very slowly in Windows NT and 98

7. Clipper App causes other applications to run very slowly in Windows NT and 98

8. DOS App on Windows 98

9. Clarion 3 and Windows 98

10. Clarion 4c and Windows 98

11. Moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

12. Windows 98 DDK & Windows in assembly