clarion & vb
Author Message
 clarion & vb

Has anyone out there used CW with VB? In particular I'm interested in
calling DLL created in CW from VB. What I'm thinking is designing a modular
program with VB as the user interface to call individual modules of the
program

Thu, 15 Apr 1999 02:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Quote:
>Has anyone out there used CW with VB? In particular I'm interested in
>calling DLL created in CW from VB. What I'm thinking is designing a modular
>program with VB as the user interface to call individual modules of the
>program

Andre:

I've tried calling 16 bit CW DLLs from VB without much success.  I
don't remember exactly what the problem was but I spent a few hours on
it one day and then decided to do it a different way and moved on.

I suspect the problem was that I was trying to run the DLL standalone
without any CW exe running and the startup initialization wasn't
happening.  In another application, I have called functions in a DLL
that was part of a CW project (e.g. I have a Clarion EXE that includes
calls to a CW DLL) without any problem as long as you understand the
quirks of parameter passing to CW functions.

I've also successfully used CW as a DDE server and communicated with
it both from VB and from WordBasic and this worked out pretty well as
long as you don't need a lot of bandwidth.

Wade Hatler

Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Quote:

> Has anyone out there used CW with VB? In particular I'm interested in
> calling DLL created in CW from VB. What I'm thinking is designing a modular
> program with VB as the user interface to call individual modules of the
> program

Why would you want to use VB ???

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Quote:

> > Has anyone out there used CW with VB? In particular I'm interested in
> > calling DLL created in CW from VB. What I'm thinking is designing a modular
> > program with VB as the user interface to call individual modules of the
> > program

> Why would you want to use VB ???

Hi Andre,

I guess it's possible to use Clarion with VB but you'll have to
use a specific call mode to your procedure or function.
I think the best way to avoid compatibility problem is
using the C mode passing parameter.

But I agree with Mark, why you want to use VB ?

                                Pascal.

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Quote:

>> Has anyone out there used CW with VB? In particular I'm interested in
>> calling DLL created in CW from VB. What I'm thinking is designing a modular
>> program with VB as the user interface to call individual modules of the
>> program

>Why would you want to use VB ???

You can do things with VB that you could never dream of with Clarion.
Try manipulating Bitmaps sometime with CW or making smooth multimedia
presentations with CW. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just that
writing a multimedia program in CW is a lot like writing a business
application in VB. <G>

But CW is a business oriented RAD development platform, and VB is a
hardware control type of platform. They each have different strengths.
Now Andre has probably come up with a situation where he needs the
unusually good database handling capabilities of CW, but also needs
the outstanding multimedia capabilities of VB. I can understand that.
I've often wished for the same capability myself, but not enough to
dig in to the mechanics of making it happen.

And for Andre, I don't think it's an impossible thing to do, but there
are probably quite a few "gotcha's"  First off, I wouldn't attempt it
in any version under CW 2.0. I'd start by taking a look at the
Programmers Guide, particularly the Multi Language Programming
section. Prototyping will be your biggest headache, both in CW and the
VB function declarations. Also, I'd get comfortable writing DLL's for
use in CW before attempting to write multi language DLL's.

Let me know how you make out. I can't answer a lot of questions, but
I've got a few years of VB under my belt as well as Clarion.

Good Luck!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Pascal,

Have you seen the new 5.0 Control Creation Edition yet?  Easiest thing to
create ActiveX controls with yet!  Way Kewl.  But the language is still VB
(yuk).

--
Ross A. Santos (RAS)

X-Generation Software
http://www.x-gen.com

Quote:
> > Why would you want to use VB ???

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Quote:

>Why would you want to use VB ???

Might be beacuse VB does not have static file structures?  ie can read
files without having the structure hard coded into the app.  Kinda
usefull in the SQL/ODBC world.

Troy
-----------------------------
Councelor Troy [TTS net]

Wed, 21 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 clarion & vb

Troy,

Quote:
> Might be beacuse VB does not have static file structures?  ie can read
> files without having the structure hard coded into the app.  Kinda
> usefull in the SQL/ODBC world.

> Troy
> -----------------------------
> Councelor Troy [TTS net]

You mean you can't do that? <rofl> We can now ... <jab jab>

Like that tag line, wonder who thought it up <bg>.

--
Ross A. Santos (RAS)

X-Generation Software
http://www.x-gen.com

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clarion & VB

2. Problem with VB DLL & Clarion 5B EE

3. Clarion MDI dlls called from VB - well done clarion

4. VB versus Clarion

5. clarion 5.5ee dll in VB [Urgent]

6. VB to Clarion

7. Calling Clarion DLL from VB

8. VB/Clarion Database Compatability

9. VB Collection /OLE Clarion

10. Currently looking for a VB Developer with Clarion experience

11. Translating a VB examble into Clarion

12. Access a Clarion Database from VB