Fat32 or NTFS ???
Author Message
 Fat32 or NTFS ???

Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32? Does
it matter?

Thanks - Ed Campbell

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:24:07 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
It matters if using XP.  Then use NTFS.  I would use it for W2K also for
performance purposes, etc.

Steve Thomson

Quote:
> Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
Does
> it matter?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:50:19 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
Hi Ed Campbell,

I would say NTFS.

DO NOT format with FAT32, filled with data and subsequently convert to NTFS.
Format the harddisk with NTFS before use.

Without NTFS, all those security features within WINDOWS 2000 Pro may not
work accordingly.  And...well... NTFS is a more stable File System.

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
Does
> it matter?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:53:09 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
The only reason to use Fat32 is if you also want to have (and dual boot)
Windows 98 on the computer.

Quote:
> Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
Does
> it matter?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell

Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:00:05 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
NTFS boots _much_ quicker (at least under XP)

Cheers
Bruce

Quote:
> Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
Does
> it matter?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:53:24 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
Ed, If you want the fastest performance out of NTFS use Windows XP and set
up the partition with 4K cluster allocations.
The default allocation is 512 byte allocations.

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
Does
> it matter?

> Thanks - Ed Campbell

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:13:28 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
HI Ben,

How is the compilation time for Clarion IDE compare running in your XP
compare to running in WINDOWS 2000?

Thanks.

Kelvin Chua
SINGAPORE

Quote:
> Ed, If you want the fastest performance out of NTFS use Windows XP and set
> up the partition with 4K cluster allocations.
> The default allocation is 512 byte allocations.

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

> > Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
> Does
> > it matter?

> > Thanks - Ed Campbell

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:07:22 GMT
 Fat32 or NTFS ???
Default cluster size is dependant on the size of the partition. For a
partition 2GB and greater it's 4K. This is the same for the W2K SP2 OEM
version.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314878&

Quote:

> Ed, If you want the fastest performance out of NTFS use Windows XP and set
> up the partition with 4K cluster allocations.
> The default allocation is 512 byte allocations.

> Ben E. Brady
> Brady & Associates, LLC.

> > Next question - for development purposes should my HD be NTFS or Fat32?
> Does
> > it matter?

> > Thanks - Ed Campbell

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:31:45 GMT

1. Setting file security on NTFS (using OSCall methods)

2. Windows 2000 NTFS?

3. Diskspace() function reports incorret size using NTFS

4. problem running CW2.0b3 on WinNT3.51 NTFS

5. Clarion 2.110 files on Win-NT 3.51 with NTFS

6. Directoty Func. on NTFS and long file names

7. Clipper on NTFS

8. Problems on NTFS with filesharing

9. NTFS or FAT ?

10. Clipper 5.3b and NTFS Filesystem (NT4.0)

11. NT4.0 NTFS and SETFDATI()

12. Clipper 5.2e Apps & NT 4 - NTFS