Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97
Author Message
 Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

Hi,

I'm responsible for year 2000 compliance in community college in Montreal.
I've learned very lately than one of our departerment is using an
application written in Clarion 2.1 for Dos (1983). The departement that used
this application dont have the source code anymore neither the developping
environment. I've got only the files and the application executable. I would
like to import the data in an Access 97 database. From what I've seen on the
Topspeed's site  the Odbc will work only with Clarion 4.0 and later.  Is
there someone who can send me  a utily program that could extract the data
from those clarion files.
Thanks for your help
Benoit Desjardins

College du Vieux-Montreal
MONTREAL

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97
There is not ODBC driver to Clarion's .DAT files. Write a quick'n'dirty app
to in cw to write from the 2.1 files to Access using ODBC
HTH
--
Best Regards
James Cooke

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm responsible for year 2000 compliance in community college in Montreal.
> I've learned very lately than one of our departerment is using an
> application written in Clarion 2.1 for Dos (1983). The departement that used
> this application dont have the source code anymore neither the developping
> environment. I've got only the files and the application executable.

Benoit, There are two methods I can think of - one a fairly inexpensive
one - mostly your time, but not necessarily the results you might expect.

There were some Clarion DOS utilities that you might even have -

CCVT.EXE - Convert Clarion .DAT files to dBase
        One of the Major problems is dates

IF you had the file definition (extension usually ended in .CLA, but
since it's a text file, could be named anything), you could use another
Clarion utility - CFIL.EXE - reformat the date fields using the file
definition, then run CCVT.EXE

Also, since these are old DOS utilities, you need to run them in 8.3 safe
named directories, such as C:\Clartemp

Maybe someone can give a link to a public area where these old
Clarion utility files can be downloaded.

More expensive, but can convert Clarion .DAT files and no date problems -
Data Junction

Vendor Name - Data Junction Corporation,
Data Junction
Internet Link - http://www.datajunction.com/

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application, Newsgroup -
Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

Quote:
> > More expensive, but can convert Clarion .DAT files and no date
> problems -
> > Data Junction

> Or cheaper, ParseRat ($29.95 at
> http://www.guysoftware.com/parserat.htm).

Are you saying ParseRat will convert Clarion .DAT files to other formats
and correctly handle the date fields?

Dave
--
From Encourager Software - Dave Troxell,

Author of Product Scope 32 Bookmarks -
Profile Exchanges - Clarion Third Party, Clarion Application, Newsgroup -
Email, HTML, PRO Music USB, and Search Engines
http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Extraction of data from Clarion 2.1 for DOS to Access 97

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > I'm responsible for year 2000 compliance in community college in
Montreal.
> > I've learned very lately than one of our departerment is using an
> > application written in Clarion 2.1 for Dos (1983). The departement
that used
> > this application dont have the source code anymore neither the
developping
> > environment. I've got only the files and the application executable.

> Benoit, There are two methods I can think of - one a fairly
inexpensive
> one - mostly your time, but not necessarily the results you might
expect.

> There were some Clarion DOS utilities that you might even have -

> CCVT.EXE - Convert Clarion .DAT files to dBase
>    One of the Major problems is dates

> IF you had the file definition (extension usually ended in .CLA, but
> since it's a text file, could be named anything), you could use
another
> Clarion utility - CFIL.EXE - reformat the date fields using the file
> definition, then run CCVT.EXE

> Also, since these are old DOS utilities, you need to run them in 8.3
safe
> named directories, such as C:\Clartemp

> Maybe someone can give a link to a public area where these old
> Clarion utility files can be downloaded.

> More expensive, but can convert Clarion .DAT files and no date
problems -
> Data Junction

Or cheaper, ParseRat ($29.95 at
http://www.guysoftware.com/parserat.htm).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 11 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ABSOLUTE DATES: Coverting from Clarion DOS to Access 97

2. Clarion data to Access 97?

3. importing clarion 2.1 for dos data files

4. Clarion For Dos Ver 2.1 (Data file structure)

5. Manipulating CLARION 2.1 data with MICROSOFT ACCESS 2.0

6. Converting from DOS Clarion 2.1 to Clarion for Win - Questions

7. Clarion 2.1 for DOS and printing in a WIN95 DOS window

8. Clarion 2.1 LEM under Clarion 3.1 for DOS

9. Clarion Databsae to Access 97

10. Conversion of data from Clarion DOS format to Access 2.0

11. Clarion 2.0 to 2.1 for DOS

12. clarion 2.1 for DOS