Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!
Author Message
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

You VB guru's - what is your opion of Clarion for Windows?
I believe it is a killer when it comes to speedy delivery of a finished
product,
especially business, accounting and database orientated stuff.
Your comments please!
--
Johan van Zyl
JVZ Systems CC

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

I want to preface this comment with the statement that I myself have not
used the product.  But a fellow work mate has.  He termed Clarion for
Windows as a great product, but it lacks the horse power to complete
industry sized applications.  He tried to write several applications with
Clarion but found each time that he would get about 80% -90% done and
Clarion could not do the rest of what he needed.  And these were basic
database applications.  That is just what he told.  Hope it helps.

Jim

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

<< it lacks the horse power to complete industry sized applications.

HUH?  I'll have you know that I am completing what I BELIEVE is an
"industry sized application" for maintenance management.  Among its
other features, it accesses data from a VARIETY of serial AND PARALLEL
port interfaces (barcode readers, RFID's of various kinds, GPS, digital
modem radio) and has the capability of actually interfacing to plug-in
process-control type cards!

The other full-time developer for my company is currently completing a
front-end/back-end wrapper for a routing package, which includes
importing records from an IBM mainframe and accessing the PC*Miler
server/engine, among other things.

<< He tried to write several applications with Clarion but found each
time that he would get about 80% -90% done and Clarion could not do the
rest of what he needed. >>

So what couldn't HE figure out how to do??

-- Craig (The Data Ferret)
Using Virtual Access 3.52 build 159c (32-bit) in Win95
"Do not meddle in the affairs of FERRETS,
for THEY are FEISTY, and LIKE TO NIP
THOSE WHO ANNOY THEM!"

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

I have 2 questions!

1.What is his definition of "industry sized applications"?
2.Can you be more specific about "rest 10-20% CLARION could not handle"?

TIA

Don Kim

----------

Quote:

> Newsgroups: alt.lang.vb5.rumors; alt.windows95;

comp.lang.basic.visual.database; comp.lang.basic.visual.misc;
comp.lang.clarion; comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95;
comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup; microsoft.public.vb.crystal;
microsoft.public.vb.database; microsoft.publi
Quote:
> Subject: Re: Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!
> Date: Saturday, September 27, 1997 3:11 PM

> I want to preface this comment with the statement that I myself have not
> used the product.  But a fellow work mate has.  He termed Clarion for
> Windows as a great product, but it lacks the horse power to complete
> industry sized applications.  He tried to write several applications with
> Clarion but found each time that he would get about 80% -90% done and
> Clarion could not do the rest of what he needed.  And these were basic
> database applications.  That is just what he told.  Hope it helps.

> Jim

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

Jim,

Since Clarion provides interoperability with all databases of note,
including native drivers for the most popular SQL backends, on your
choice of network, is the only business language on the market that does
correct business accounting arithmetic in decimal, is compiled and
optimized, provides direct call capability to all major compiled
languages, direct call capability to WinAPI, comes with an in-the-box
C++ compiler (optimized), directly supports OCX/OLE, and can distribute
application functionality into any conceivable desired form; I am
breathless to hear what remarkable things your friend does in a "basic
database application" that this formidable array of tools can't handle,
and what remarkable tool your friend uses to do those remarkable things.

Please, please, enlighten us poor deluded souls.

I concede that native Clarion isn't the greatest tool for creating
custom controls, but then, you specifically said "basic database
application".

Phillip Carroll
Paragon Design and Development
Tucson AZ, USA

Quote:

> I want to preface this comment with the statement that I myself have not
> used the product.  But a fellow work mate has.  He termed Clarion for
> Windows as a great product, but it lacks the horse power to complete
> industry sized applications.  He tried to write several applications with
> Clarion but found each time that he would get about 80% -90% done and
> Clarion could not do the rest of what he needed.  And these were basic
> database applications.  That is just what he told.  Hope it helps.

> Jim

Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

Quote:
> I want to preface this comment with the statement that I myself have not
> used the product.  But a fellow work mate has.  He termed Clarion for
> Windows as a great product, but it lacks the horse power to complete
> industry sized applications.  He tried to write several applications with
> Clarion but found each time that he would get about 80% -90% done and
> Clarion could not do the rest of what he needed.  And these were basic
> database applications.  That is just what he told.  Hope it helps.

> Jim

HUH?!? Define industry sized applications. I am currently running a whole
medical aid company (thats medical insurance for the Yanks) using
CW2003. The app is huge and it is interfacing with everything from
fax servers to mail merging in MS Word. We have managed to make
this company "nearly" paperless and it's getting better by the day.

It downloads batches for processing every night from doctors and uploads
batches to major insurance companies and banks. Basicly, this app (actually
collection of apps) is running the company. Parts of it will also become
Internet based in the near future.

Would you consider that Industry sized?

Cheers,
        Andy

Thu, 16 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

For those people who want the real dope on Clarion for Windows - go to
http://www.topspeed.com

Quote:

> > I want to preface this comment with the statement that I myself have
not
> > used the product.  But a fellow work mate has.  He termed Clarion for
> > Windows as a great product, but it lacks the horse power to complete
> > industry sized applications.  He tried to write several applications
with
> > Clarion but found each time that he would get about 80% -90% done and
> > Clarion could not do the rest of what he needed.  And these were basic
> > database applications.  That is just what he told.  Hope it helps.

> > Jim

> HUH?!? Define industry sized applications. I am currently running a whole
> medical aid company (thats medical insurance for the Yanks) using
> CW2003. The app is huge and it is interfacing with everything from
> fax servers to mail merging in MS Word. We have managed to make
> this company "nearly" paperless and it's getting better by the day.

> It downloads batches for processing every night from doctors and uploads
> batches to major insurance companies and banks. Basicly, this app
(actually
> collection of apps) is running the company. Parts of it will also become
> Internet based in the near future.

> Would you consider that Industry sized?

> Cheers,
>    Andy

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

Is there a driver for SQLMX (Tandem) ????

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

Using CPD 2.11 (as we still do) you can pull the plug safely at almost any
point in an application (as long as Stream is not on) and you loose almost
nothing.  Without getting into the other upsides, or downsides of 2.11 or CW,
can some of you make comments about what happens if the UPS fails and you have
a large application build with CW on NT.

thanks

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clarion for Windows 2.003 and 4 - A Killer?!

I have listened to a number of discusions lately about relational, flat file,
object oriented, etc etc...I am not sure if the water is getting muddy or the
goal post is shifting, or I missed something.

My question comes from the standpoint of large systems, operating in real time,
with complex realtionships, where data is always shared, and computers run 24
hours a day in a LAN, WAN, and CTI environments.

My rough definition of Relational is following CJ Date's ideas and this is
reflected in the early Clarion ideas. (CPD 2.XX etc)

Part of how this translates to me is, that data is stored in seperate files
with preset keys (indexs) and that raw searches are rare, if ever.

Does CW and the SQL drivers that CW supports follow this same idea ?  Is there
something faster and safer than this ?

thanks

Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 22 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Btrieve 6.10 and Clarion 2.003 for Windows

2. Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Clarion 2.003 Application

3. How Can You Read A Windows Registry Value in Clarion 2.003

4. double-byte in Clarion for Windows 2.003

5. m2 compilers in Clarion for Windows 2.003 - info needed

6. Clarion 2.003 to Clarion 4 conversion

7. BC: Vancouver NT-Administrator with Clarion 2.003

8. QBE for Clarion version 2.003

9. Clarion 2.003 and Clipper Files

10. Reports and Memo fields in Clarion 2.003

11. Enter as tab key and color of buttons in clarion 2.003

12. Date problem in Clarion 2.003