Exe shrinker
Author Message
 Exe shrinker

Hi all

Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:10:53 GMT
 Exe shrinker
Neo Lite by NeoWorx..... http://www.neoworx.com/

Works on EXE's & DLL's makes them much smaller, run faster and makes it
impossible to reverse engineer them.

--
Bob Healy

Matrix Information Systems

www.softwarebymatrix.com

Quote:
> Hi all

> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:06:32 GMT
 Exe shrinker

The following was posted on August 17,2000 by Friedrich Linder..

In my opinion it is *NOT* a good idea to shrink 32-bit EXEs and DLLs.
Having a smaller EXE seems to be an advantage but then  your application
requires *MORE* memory!

 When you start a 32-bit program on Windows 95/98 or NT/2000, the OS
does not load everything into memory  to keep it there until  the
program terminates. Windows only loads what is needed and it frees the
memory, if another application needs (more) memory.

 But if you use a "shrinker" software then all the code is directly
loaded (decompressed) into the memory.  The Windows paging system does
not work on shrinked apps and it is also no longer possible to share
code between multiple instances.  This is not very cool.

 Try to start multiple instances of the same (shrinked) app and  tell me
what's going on with your system memory ;-)

 JAT

 Friedrich

Also, any person who is capable of reverse engineering can take the
decompressed image in memory and save it, then work on that uncompressed
image of your EXE or DLL. There is very little increase in speed on
network machines and actually slower to start on a standalone machine as
it needs to be decompressed before use.

Ron

Quote:

> Hi all

> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:33:27 GMT
 Exe shrinker
Thats pretty interesting.

--
Kind regards,
James Cooke

Quote:

> The following was posted on August 17,2000 by Friedrich Linder..

> In my opinion it is *NOT* a good idea to shrink 32-bit EXEs and DLLs.
> Having a smaller EXE seems to be an advantage but then  your application
> requires *MORE* memory!

>  When you start a 32-bit program on Windows 95/98 or NT/2000, the OS
> does not load everything into memory  to keep it there until  the
> program terminates. Windows only loads what is needed and it frees the
> memory, if another application needs (more) memory.

>  But if you use a "shrinker" software then all the code is directly
> loaded (decompressed) into the memory.  The Windows paging system does
> not work on shrinked apps and it is also no longer possible to share
> code between multiple instances.  This is not very cool.

>  Try to start multiple instances of the same (shrinked) app and  tell me
> what's going on with your system memory ;-)

>  JAT

>  Friedrich

> Also, any person who is capable of reverse engineering can take the
> decompressed image in memory and save it, then work on that uncompressed
> image of your EXE or DLL. There is very little increase in speed on
> network machines and actually slower to start on a standalone machine as
> it needs to be decompressed before use.

> Ron

> > Hi all

> > Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

> >    Warm regards

> >      Elli

> > CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:07:17 GMT
 Exe shrinker
Ron

In intent to use this for a 3 procedure app that gets E-mailed with
compressed WMF's , so the EXE size matters a bit , but under normal
circumstances i really cant seee the purpose for shrinking EXE's

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:33:27 -0300, Ron Schofield

Quote:

>The following was posted on August 17,2000 by Friedrich Linder..

>In my opinion it is *NOT* a good idea to shrink 32-bit EXEs and DLLs.
>Having a smaller EXE seems to be an advantage but then  your application
>requires *MORE* memory!

> When you start a 32-bit program on Windows 95/98 or NT/2000, the OS
>does not load everything into memory  to keep it there until  the
>program terminates. Windows only loads what is needed and it frees the
>memory, if another application needs (more) memory.

> But if you use a "shrinker" software then all the code is directly
>loaded (decompressed) into the memory.  The Windows paging system does
>not work on shrinked apps and it is also no longer possible to share
>code between multiple instances.  This is not very cool.

> Try to start multiple instances of the same (shrinked) app and  tell me
>what's going on with your system memory ;-)

> JAT

> Friedrich

>Also, any person who is capable of reverse engineering can take the
>decompressed image in memory and save it, then work on that uncompressed
>image of your EXE or DLL. There is very little increase in speed on
>network machines and actually slower to start on a standalone machine as
>it needs to be decompressed before use.

>Ron

>> Hi all

>> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>>    Warm regards

>>      Elli

>> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

   Warm regards

     Elli

CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 05:24:02 GMT
 Exe shrinker
Use LinderSoft's compressor for packaging.  Then it will be no problem.

--
Russ
"My spell checker makes it read more better"

Ron

In intent to use this for a 3 procedure app that gets E-mailed with
compressed WMF's , so the EXE size matters a bit , but under normal
circumstances i really cant seee the purpose for shrinking EXE's

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:49:37 GMT
 Exe shrinker
Eli,

Aspack - works a treat been using it for a few years and its cheap toooo

http://www.aspack.com

Quote:
> Hi all

> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:55:50 GMT
 Exe shrinker
One of the best, and free:

http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx.html
http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
> Hi all

> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:29:47 GMT
 Exe shrinker
I have found UPX to sometimes be troublesome.

Ron E

Quote:

> http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx.html
> http://upx.sourceforge.net/

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:02:53 GMT
 Exe shrinker
I have been using NeoLite for about 2 years on all of my Clarion
applications without any problems whatsoever. They have a new product that
has just been released called NeoLock which has all of the functionality of
NeoLite as well as password protection and encryption for the application.
I am currently testing it.

www.neoworx.com

Ben E. Brady
Brady & Associates, LLC.

Quote:
> Hi all

> Is there any good EXE shrinker out there.

>    Warm regards

>      Elli

> CW5peB,TPS,Legacy   , win98

Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:09:38 GMT

1. FREE EXE SHRINKER

2. Shrinker error Pager initialisation error 5

3. Image Shrinker

4. 32-Bit NMAKE.EXE, LINK.EXE, LIB.EXE, & RC.EXE

5. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

6. cscn.exe and cvvt.exe

7. ABC Exe Called From Clarion Exe

8. Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b

9. ntvdm.exe - Application Error when running C55EE.exe

10. close exe form another exe

11. need cw21lpex.exe or c4lpex.exe

12. Running one EXE from another EXE