Using Windows Dlls Not created in Clarion
Author Message
 Using Windows Dlls Not created in Clarion

Quote:

>We have a dll and a lib from Mailer's+4 program that we would like to use
in
>our Clarion development.  Could anyone tell us where we can find more steps
>by steps instructions or documentations of how to make it work or how to
>start? Thank you very much.

You'll need to create Clarion-style prototypes for the procedures/functions
in the dll.  This usually requires manually translating a C or Visual Basic
sample that most of these products provide.  You also need to use LibMaker
to create a Lib file from the dll that Clarion will understand.

For converting the prototype declaration, see the Clarion help file and do
Search on "Prototype Attributes".  Of particular interest will be the
attributes "C", "Pascal", and "RAW".  Also, go to Help->Contents->How Do
I?->Compiling and Linking->Using Windows Dlls NOT Created in Clarion.

Quote:
>Does anyone know what does the "TopSpeed's Register Based calling
conventions"
>mean? Thanks!

The default parameter passing method between procedures is via registers
instead of via the stack.  It's faster.  The "C" and "PASCAL" prototype
attributes revert to stack-based parameter passing.

Regards,
Brett C. Cammack
Technical Marketing Manager
TopSpeed Corporation

Certified Clarion Developer

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Windows Dlls Not created in Clarion
Sherrill,

Quote:
> or how to start? Thank you very much.

Start by looking at chapters 13 and 14 in the Programmers Guide.

HTH

Arie Rens (Advantage Software BV)
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
http://www.advantages.nl
TopSpeed Distributor for the Benelux

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Windows Dlls Not created in Clarion
Quote:

> We have a dll and a lib from Mailer's+4 program that we would like to use in
> our Clarion development.  Could anyone tell us where we can find more steps
> by steps instructions or documentations of how to make it work or how to
> start? Thank you very much.

The programmers guide has a chapter or two on api calls and calling non-cw
dlls. I'm sure the knowledge bases have lots of postings too.  Unfortunately,
there are almost an infinate number of twist and turns so there's no
substitute for experience.

TS registered based calling conventions will not help you in your current
project.  To speed calls to any topspeed function, TopSpeed puts the
parameters you pass in CPU registers rather than on the Stack like the Pascal
or C calling conventions do.  It's really a brillant idea but no one except
topspeed uses it. So when calling third party products you always must choose
Pascal or C calling convention.
---
Jim Kane  - TeamTopSpeed
Productive Software Solutions
Can't Find that Message?
Get Organized, Get ForKeeps!
www.fkeeps.com

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using Windows DLLs NOT Created in Clarion for Windows

2. Using Windows DLLs NOT Created in Clarion

3. Using DLLs NOT Created in Clarion

4. Using Dll's not created in clarion

5. DLLs not created in Clarion

6. HELP!: Create Clarion DLL to be used by Delphi

7. Creating - Fortran 77 dll for use in Visual Basic 6.0 (not using Compaq Visual Fortran)

8. MS Access not using cdx created by Clarion

9. C4a Making Clarion DLL using outside DLL's

10. Creating a Clarion dll to be called by C

11. CAN NOT CREATE FILE: C:\CLARION4\BIN\C4LFNX.DLL

12. External Dll's not compiled with Clarion in CW4