File Manager 2 Question
Author Message
 File Manager 2 Question

Please someone help!!  I just received File Manager 2 in order to help me
with upgrading my data files after making changes in the dictionary in C5.
I am somewhat baffled at the instructions on using the software.  The manual
must make the assumption that everyone is a C5 expert.  It says to add the
File Manager 2 global extension to your application.  OK fine.  I know I
must add the template to my template registry.  However, when I do so, it
isn't available to me when I go into the global extensions insert.  What am
I doing wrong?  Any suggestions from any of you who have added this to your
C5 will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 Question
Hi Tony,

I also use FM2 and there are a few things you may have missed.  When
you load your application you must first register the application
template by selecting the menu item, Application then Template Utility
and then look for the File Manager templete and select it. (This
process has to be done everytime you upgrade Clarion but not for every
application. If you are using the ABC template set then there is an
added step of adding FM2=>1 to the Global defines area of your
project.  To do this select the Project menu, then Properties, press
the properties button and then click on the Defines tab, add the little
FM2=>1 line and your off and running.

Trust me once you get it running you won't ever regret it.

Good luck
Andrew Jacques

Quote:
> Please someone help!!  I just received File Manager 2 in order to
help me
> with upgrading my data files after making changes in the dictionary
in C5.
> I am somewhat baffled at the instructions on using the software.  The
manual
> must make the assumption that everyone is a C5 expert.  It says to
add the
> File Manager 2 global extension to your application.  OK fine.  I
know I
> must add the template to my template registry.  However, when I do
so, it
> isn't available to me when I go into the global extensions insert.
What am
> I doing wrong?  Any suggestions from any of you who have added this
to your
> C5 will be greatly appreciated.

> Tony

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 Question
Hi Tony
There are basically 4 things to remember.

1. Make sure that you have gone to 'Setup' on the main IDE menu, selected
'Template Registry' and registered the FM2 template
2. Whenever you upgrade your version of Clarion you will need to go to
'Application' on your main IDE menu, select 'Template Utility', go to Class fm2
- File Manager 2 - Support ABC,  and insert the path to C5
3. For each application you must go to 'Project', select 'Properties', click on
the 'Defines' tab, and insert 'FM2>=1' (minus the quotes)
4. Go to the 'Global' button of your app, select 'Extensions', select 'Insert'
and choose 'Activate File Manager 2 Template'

That should help...<g> It is a great product. I have just started using
Multi-prj as I have an app using several DLLs, and even though I haven't got it
working 100% it is already worth the price - just the simple fact that if I
insert something in Global Data in my Data DLL it appears in the other dlls and
exe Global Data declarations as an external variable - like magic!

best wishes

Quote:

--
Eric Churton (Simplified Software)
Quote:
>From DURBAN, South Africa, where THE FUN NEVER SETS

http://www.vertigo.co.za/simplesoft/

Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 Question

Quote:
> Trust me once you get it running you won't ever regret it.

Andrew, I second that motion !!!

I had always heard that FM2 was a product that you simply couldn't live
without, but for a long time I waited to buy it.  Finally I had a big
project that was going through a ton of changes (seems the customer kept
changing their mind about what they wanted ... fortunately - I charged them
for it of course <smile>) and my database structure was changing all the
time.  Anyway, I broke down and bought FM2.

After spending a few hours messing around with the example programs to test
the various things it could do, I was off and running...

Things have never been the same!

Now I would not even consider working with ANY database project that did not
include FM2.

As a special bonus, I've had the privilege of working with Bruce Johnson a
couple of times when I had problems or questions with this or other Capesoft
products (I own most of them ... really a GREAT bunch of tools!).  He is
super responsive, really tries to publish decent and reliable products, and
is always interested in hearing about suggestions to improve them.  E-mail
response is always timely and fixes are fast if needed.

I would recommend this (or any of the other products) to anyone who needs
them without hesitation.

Charles Edmonds

Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 File Manager 2 Question
I want to second this opinion. Capesoft has some great tools!

Michael C. Gamble, Troll Chieftain
Happy Troll Computing

Quote:

>> Trust me once you get it running you won't ever regret it.

>Andrew, I second that motion !!!

>I had always heard that FM2 was a product that you simply couldn't live
>without, but for a long time I waited to buy it.  Finally I had a big
>project that was going through a ton of changes (seems the customer kept
>changing their mind about what they wanted ... fortunately - I charged

Wed, 13 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. File Manager 2 Question Again

2. Another File Manager 2 Question?

3. File Conversion with File Manager on Huge files

4. Locus File Manager Question

5. Use File manager to REBUILD files

6. File Manager 2 released (Automatic File Upgrading (inc TPS))

7. Flat file manager

8. File link manager?

9. File Manager

10. Looking for INI file manager templates

11. File Manager 2

12. File Manager 2.9 - New Features or simply Bugs???