Print Header without detail
Author Message
 Print Header without detail

Hi Guys:

I have a simple report problem that seems to confuse the 2.002 report
engine.

1.  I need to read a master file and print detail records from a child
file.   The child records are filtered by a range of dates the output
looks like.

GROUP HEADER NAME
   DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)
   DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)

There can be anywhere from 0 to 30 details.    Everything works fine
except I can find no way to print the HEADER GROUP NAME when there is NO
DETAILS.   My customer is insisting they want them all listed.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hyrum Tatton - TES-Software
-Makeing life easier for school administrators-

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Print Header without detail

Depending on how you set the report up, if you are reporting off the
parent file, there is an embed "Before printing detail" where you can
check to see if any child records exist.  If they do not, I believe you
can force it to print the header band with PRINT(RPT:MyHeaderBand).

There are also 3rd party templates which make everything much easier to
control.

HTH,

db

Quote:

> GROUP HEADER NAME
>    DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)
>    DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)

> There can be anywhere from 0 to 30 details.    Everything works fine
> except I can find no way to print the HEADER GROUP NAME when there is NO
> DETAILS.   My customer is insisting they want them all listed.

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Print Header without detail

Quote:
> Hi Guys:
> I can find no way to print the HEADER GROUP NAME when there is NO
> DETAILS.   My customer is insisting they want them all listed.

Just define a blank detail section of your report, and when  you discover
there are no details, print the blank detail.

--
Tom Ruby

http://www.netins.net/showcase/tomruby/
I don't know anything.  I just have to make this stuff work.

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Print Header without detail

If sounds like you are printing from the detail file, and using the
parent as a "lookup".  If so, then you need to switch this.

If you are reporting off the parent file with the child as a related
file, then this will not be a problem.  The VIEW structure will
provide the parent record once if zero OR one child records exist.
(In all other cases, the parent is presented for each instance of a
child.)

In fact, if you don't want this extra parent record, you actually have
to filter it out by watching a field in the child file (which will be
blank if there are no child records for the current parent record).

Quote:
>I have a simple report problem that seems to confuse the 2.002 report
>engine.

>1.  I need to read a master file and print detail records from a child
>file.   The child records are filtered by a range of dates the output
>looks like.

>GROUP HEADER NAME
>   DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)
>   DETAIL (WITHIN DATE RANGE)

>There can be anywhere from 0 to 30 details.    Everything works fine
>except I can find no way to print the HEADER GROUP NAME when there is NO
>DETAILS.   My customer is insisting they want them all listed.

>Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

>Hyrum Tatton - TES-Software
>-Makeing life easier for school administrators-

Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson, BoxSoft <=-

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to print Subtotal Without Printing Detail

2. Help please: Print a report HEADER even when there are no detail records

3. conditional Group Header and/or detail

4. Reports: Detail Header on each page

5. header/detail lines in CW report

6. Header on Form, Browse Detail

7. Reporting - Lost Headers and Detail bands

8. Headers & Detail

9. CW5 problem: First Report Detail Group Creeps into Report Header

10. Header,Footer and Detail Runtime Position

11. Q: Editing For Header-Detail Files

12. Report totals without detail